Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infiltrator, the Eye's and Fingers of the Platoon.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infiltrator, the Eye's and Fingers of the Platoon.

Infiltrators have a good purpose in the game if used in the right circumstances. They are not base cappers, but can assist in capping a auxillary site. They can not engage Armor, but can take out engineers repairing enemy armor. They can not defend, but can take out attacking high priority infantry. They do their best work in front of the army, not in the army.

With this in mind, we need to re-assess how we structure and use them. If numbers allow, put an infiltrator unit together, 8 Infils, 3 Medics and an Engy. Each infiltrator pairs up with another, working same targets/zones. Medics keeps everyone healthy. The Engy, keeps everyone supplied. Basic zones of control can be as simple as compass points NESW. Engy moves with the North pair of Infiltrators.

Finally, with their various tools, they can assist the main assualt or defense platoon, by providing advance info of the enemy and objective, sneaking into shield gen rooms and destroying them, take out Max's, Medics and Engineers on the battlefield, and finally counter enemy cloaked Infiltrators with their sensor gun.
    sigpic

Re: Infiltrator, the Eye's and Fingers of the Platoon.

Definitely - with careful use of Radar equipped Flash you can also further enhance the sensor net. This is how I want to play Infil - currently I am saving for the bouncing betty as this kind of denial device I expect will become invaluable.

Comment

I disagree with the idea that Infiltrator's can not be front line fighters. I myself am an experienced infiltrator. The thing is, I RARELY use a sniper rifle (when I do, I grab my LA-80 and a 12x scope for long range pests, primarily other infiltrators). I run my infiltrator with the following:

Primary: Shadow Scout Rifile [2x Holo or 3.4x Scope, Compensator, Laser Sight]
      Secondary: Rebel Heavy Pistol
      Grenade: EMP Grenades (Great for knocking down a large enemy defense's shields and allow for squads to push into an area with more ease)
      Utility: Bouncing Betty APM

With this loadout I focus primarily on hacking consoles and flanking maneuvers (with the use of the cloak) and pick off several enemies in close range. Heck, I've taken on MAXes and Heavy Assaults with my rifle (its tricky, but doable). Bouncing betties also come in handy when holding a point for capture or defense of a base. It slows down enemy advance just enough that it might give you that little edge that takes or keeps the facility.

One thing I hate is the misconception that the infiltrator is a Sniper first, soldier second. Yes they have a big long range rifle that hits hard, but they have other weapons that enable them to be a front line fighter. One of the biggest strategy we use our Infil's for are with Hot-Drops on bases. Their job is to get to the Transport Console and hack it, and either get an AMS sundy or have someone else grab one.
      Blackpython / ZephyrDark
      Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I have found the infil to be a highly effective member of a front line unit. You equip them with the Shadow/Stalker (the semi auto one.. can't remember) and they instantly become a 3 shot "DMR" killing machine. I played this role once with Ytman last week sometime defending against a group of TR taking a point. With the semi auto rifle, a 2x-3.4x scope/silencer, it was deadly effective in a) relaying information (because I could stealth around and see people) and b) the deadly efficiency of said rifle.

If I'm SLing, I'll always have atleast one Inf in the squad for hacking/Long range engagement.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

So far, I have mostly been playing light assault while I learn the game and learn the team dynamics of working in a tg unit. However, I would love to branch out and learn how to better provide real time actionable intel for my team. I think a lot of good points are brought up in this thread. I think TG commanders should be on the lookout for infils wanting to provide intel and force multiplication to the team. We aren't all lonewolfs just trying to snipe.
          Primary: IntelAgent (Planetside 2)
          Light Assault, Reconnaissance, Intel Collection

Comment

Infiltrators are an interesting bunch and I know that they can be much more than just a sniper, but until I throw more money at this game, I'm sticking to a sniper configuration. The radar thing is certainly useful at providing key intel for your team, the ability to turn invisible and hack turrets/terminals are incredibly valuable, (Funny story; I got booted out of a turret once as an infiltrator. So, I booted the other guy out and I think he fell off the platform. :P Also, if you crouch down and hold still, I think you're completely invisible.) I tend to think of them as a specialized infantry that can be much more than just a sniper in the end.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
              ...snip... Also, if you crouch down and hold still, I think you're completely invisible. ...snip...
              Not completely invisible, but close. You can still see some of the distortion from the cloak and you have to be actively looking for it.

If you (not you specifically Mech) are the cloaker and are trying to hide, don't just cloak in the middle of a hallway or what have you.. There is usually plenty of cover to be had that you can hide behind that will increase your chances of survival.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                Not completely invisible, but close. You can still see some of the distortion from the cloak and you have to be actively looking for it.

If you (not you specifically Mech) are the cloaker and are trying to hide, don't just cloak in the middle of a hallway or what have you.. There is usually plenty of cover to be had that you can hide behind that will increase your chances of survival.
                I meant like behind some crates or in a corner or something with a light color, you know, to blend in easier. I actually threw off the enemy defenders once by doing this and I had a Vanu MAX come looking for me. He looked at me dead in the face before storming off. :D Best thing ever.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                  I meant like behind some crates or in a corner or something with a light color, you know, to blend in easier. I actually threw off the enemy defenders once by doing this and I had a Vanu MAX come looking for me. He looked at me dead in the face before storming off. :D Best thing ever.
                  At least you didn't do what almost every infiltrator I chase after in my MAX suit does: Cloak the moment they see me come into view. Yeah, you're TOTALLY hidden dude. Then he promptly get a couple slug rounds into him point blank :)
                  Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                  Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

My observations on the Infiltrator-

*Best served with the Scout Rifles (for now).
                    *Cloak works as a way to break line of sight and get to better cover. Its not really meant to hide in plain sight.
                    *Infiltrator is an excellent front line force with a very real and important role in base assaults. confusion
                    *One infiltrator is all you need to get a rear line spawn set and soon have a 'hidden' platoon.
                    *Sniping is made all the more meaningless in large scale battles when spawns are near. Best snipers target critical players and support moving forces.

Comment

Infiltrator also work well with an air squad marking targets so the air can swoop in and get them from above.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by Masterjack View Post
                        Infiltrator also work well with an air squad marking targets so the air can swoop in and get them from above.
                        This. Classic Recon job.

Comment

They need a Squad/Platoon only GLTD. Would be epic.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X