Focused Squads - Help me design mine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focused Squads - Help me design mine

Ok fellow warriors of the New Conglomerate, I have been looking at how squads function, in isolation and in the context of the wider outfit and wondering how I want to run my squads. What set ups do I want to try, what do I want to achieve, what tactics do I want to experiment with.

Firstly I will add that despite having played the beta I most definitely consider myself a Space Noob in this game. Combat, done that, infantry tactics, check, how it all fits together in the massive combined arms universe of PS2 and its mechanics, hmm, early days.

Nevertheless, I want to crack on and get started, trying out some things that I haven't been really been able to do in other titles. The main thing that has struck me about Planetside 2 is the scale. With that scale comes scope. I have been involved in lots of good squads thus far but have noted that they are often flexible, somewhat jack of all trades. This isn't a flaw per se, they needed to be flexible due to the number of TG playing at the time, they had to be able to adapt and be somewhat self sufficient.

Well as TG begins to gather momentum, as evidenced by the excellent turnouts over the past couple of weeks, I have started to wonder about the functionality of more built for purpose, 'traditional' squads. By this I mean squads that focus on a single kit/role, with minimal overlap. I am interested to see how squads built along more traditional lines benefit the outfit and the objective by providing ease of management and more focused leveraging of their particular strengths.

I personally enjoy using the Heavy Assault kit and see it as a great all round infantry combat kit. I like how the heavy weapons can facillitate troop movement and how the anti tank/anti air capability can make the Heavy a formiddable force multiplier. As such I would like to see how a Heavy Assault squad would be work. Now clearly there will need to be one or two other kits/roles involved to ensure some short term sustainability. However I want this squad to function as 1 arm of our forces and to focus on it's primary strengths, infantry combat, support/heavy weapons and anti-tank/anti-air. They will fullfil their roles and other squads will carry out theirs.

Purpose/Aims of the 'Heavy' squad

Supporting the push on a objective, the squad may take up a position on a flank and lay down withering fire on the objective. They would always look to deploy adjacent to any main 'zerg' to give the opponent at least two directions of assault to deal with. The level of fire they will be able to bring to bear should ensure they get the enemy's attention, split their opponents attention and make it just that little bit easier for the main assault force.

As a secondary role, situation dependent, the Heavy squad should be able to forge ahead of the main slower moving force, deploy a sundy as a forward spawn (to facilitate infantry joining the fight) and then be able to hold that ground long enough for the main assault force to join the fight.

I don't forsee the Heavy squad joining the initial assault on a heavily defended objective. Perhaps ideally your Light Assaults, Infiltrators and Engies have gone over the walls first'. The Heavy Squad would assist in the initial assault squads breach and then as that first breach swarms in and around the target objective, forcing the defenders to look inwards the Heavy squads follow in as the second wave, allowing he assault force to begin locking down the objective.

Ok as I have now outlined what I see as the objectives of the Heavy squad, how would you fit out that squad?

- What vehicles would you use?
    - What is your kit/role breakdown?
    - What weapons platforms/systems would you utilise and why?

Remember, this is a very focused squad, some kit/role diversity is fine and desirable. However it does not need to cater to every eventuality, nor should it. We have the rest of the outfit for that.

My initial plan;

- SL (Heavy Assault) with AT, spawn beacon and Battle Rifle to engage long range targets and ensure his focus is on directing fire, not laying down suppression himself

- Engineer for Sunderer and Max repairs

- Medic, obviously

- AA Max (unsure on this)

- 8 x Heavy Assault with LMG, 6 x AT + 2 x AA or 8 x AT.

Vehicle - Sunderer with AMS and Ammo

What would your's be? Looking forward to any and all input and likely corrections due to lack of knowledge about PS2 specific issues on my part.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Focused Squads - Help me design mine

I think I saw something similar in a video at some point, but with more medics. I think more medics is definately needed, maybe even as many as half medics. That way you get incredible aoe healing and as long as the squad/platoon is clumped together you basically dont die.

Comment

I'm working on a write-up explaining why 'FireTeams' are an important 'theoretical' concept in PS2. The short of it is that you can have to semi-autonomous but directly linked sections of a squad with two different functions.

For example my "theoretical" best Generic Assault Squad would consist of;

1x Command Element (SL & Infiltrator)
      1x Flanker FireTeam (1x HA ,2x LA, 1x Medic)
      1x Primary Assault FireTeam (2xHA, 1x Engineer, 1x Medic)

The Primary Assault FireTeam is the "Suppression team" or the "Point Clearer". The justification is that HA have the overshield and long magazines, Engineer can use a shotgun, and medic stays back making sure to be in range for the Ability.

The Flanker FT is the fast mover team that, obviously, flanks or distracts a position.

Yesterday, against The Enclave, we were a three squad Platoon of TG and PUBs and we were clearly a huge strategic force in the fact that we were holding positions against long odds for extended times. The squads tended to be best used covering different locations and sporadically offering direct assistance when needed.

Comment

I would suggest Blockade armor instead of ammo for the Sundy if you are not working directly with an armored column. The icon blocks the gunners vision and glows in the dark.
        You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
        So that when they turn their backs on you,
        You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Need more than one medic. Even though we might be playing tactically, the enemy isnt. Having more people that can keep the rest alive is in my mind mandatory. Atleast 2-3 is minimum. Otherwise, if you only have 1 and he dies, you have no revives until he comes back, and thats assuming you've still got a spawn point close.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

It looks pretty good. Personally I'd bump the numbers like this:

6 Heavy Assault
            2-3 Medic
            1-2 Engineer
            2 AA MAX

Six heavy assault is still a pretty formidable base of fire, and don't discount the medic's AR and the engi's turret.

I would suggest a minimum of 2 engineers - one to stay with the sundie and one to provide ammo as the infantry advances.

I think having a pair of AA Max units is pretty important if you're going to be operating out on the flank. If you're out of the main body's AA umbrella all it takes is one Liberator or a couple of Rocket ESF to destroy your Sundie. 2 dual-burster maxes can kill an ESF in one pass, and can focus-fire to send a Lib away smoking in short order. Perhaps if you have enough HA with AA rockets you could substitute them but I don't have enough experience with the AA rocket to make that call.

On the other hand, there isn't going to be any hiding where you're at once the bursters open up...
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
              AA Max information
              I think instead of having 2 people solely dedicated to being an AA Max (which if you dont have that problem, they're now just sitting and waiting), have 2 people (maybe 2 HAs?) have an AA Loudout ready to go, who can sprint back to the Sundy and changeout if it is needed.

Comment

I would have to agree with Serjikal. Having the two people dedicated to the Max I find would almost be a waste given how easy it is to switch between kits. Since all you need to do is go to the Sundeers equipment terminal and equip the AA rockets. If you happen to find that air threat is getting heavy, have them go and switch into the max suit.

Comment

Are the AA rockets effective enough in their role to replace the AA Max though?

That's my question/concern. I've never used them myself.
                  Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

The AA has a smaller range than the AA max and flares can defeat the missiles easily.
                    If you have to choose between the two go for AA Max.
                    You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                    So that when they turn their backs on you,
                    You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                      Are the AA rockets effective enough in their role to replace the AA Max though?

That's my question/concern. I've never used them myself.
                      As effective as AA Max? Definitely not. But if you are running 2xDedicated AA Max, they're limited in their mobility and their attack power vs. anything other than Air (infantry...vehicles...etc)

Comment

Maxes can switch as well. I have dual scatter, falcon and bursters for instance, allowing me to switch weapons depending on the situation.

Comment

I'd say indeed, more medics, maybe up to 4 imho. In The beta I've been attacked by a platoon size force consisting of all heavy assaults, each with one medic on him. It was a devastating tactic to our zerg force.

I would drop the AA maxes. You seem to be supposing to have a sundy often, at these times you can switch to more AA if needed, heavy assaults can switch to aa missiles. OR some can switch to max temporarily if needed.w While this complicates things in a way, it also simplifies the squad. I think in a platoon you could argue for always having AA. However if you get in close combat the maxes will get slaughtered. However since you must have one engi anyway for ammo. How about One max that has 2x bursters but only takes those when it feels needed. He can be supported by the one engi, and then there are more medics and heavies available making your squad better at it's main goal.

Comment

Great feedback guys thanks. Raises yet more questions but that's kinda what I expected and hoped for.

Ok totally agree on the medics, minimum 2, absolute minimum. Maybe 1 engineer if for the sundy and a second if you have max. Which brings me onto the next wrinkle, the Max. Now I don't want to get obliterated by air in one pass so I suppose we need to look at AA max. Do we have many people that have invested the certs to have multi purpose max loadouts? Plus if the sundy goes down they end up stuck with AA regardless of what were facing.

It's tricky, very difficult to get out of the 'cover all bases/multi purposw squad' mindset. Basically I would only see this concept squad working when we have a lot of people on and are represented in the various fields, Air, Armour, Infil/Recon. That way the squad sticks to what its good at and is easier for command to manage and deploy as its function/role specific, its loadout is defined and therefore there is none of the constant refitting.

The choice, scope and unlock cycle is very, very enjoyable in this game. I also think it contributes to disorganisation and gives squad leaders and platoon leaders a headache. Instead of knowing where each of his assets and weapons platforms are he is faced with a constantly mutating force. "Where's my engie, nope he's a medic now, ok, ok. Right we need AT, damnit he's an infiltrator now" lol.

I know for a fact people do it with the absolute best intentions, hell I catch myself doing it all the time but I personally tjink it fosters too much of a 'reactive' mindset and not enough of a proactive, enforce my will on the situation attitude. Yes we must be flexible and adaptive, its a question of degree. Much like cards sometimes you have to stop, look at your hand and decide how you are going to play those cards, rather than keep picking up new ones which is basically the cards playing you.

Comment

Good ideas, Wicks. Specialization brings with it the possibility of in-depth understanding of the limits and potential of a kit/load out.

I have been exploring both kit specialization and task/objective/AO specialization. I do not hold this up as a ideal model, just something to be explored.

As to the issue of "not enough of a proactive, enforce my will on the situation attitude. Yes we must be flexible and adaptive, its a question of degree" -- and here I have no TGer in mind at all, your thoughts match my own observations of my own internal struggle when SLing, the constant temptation to be swayed by the desires of others. To this end I have been retraining myself in an effort to break some old habits.

My first goals are focused on establishing a method of engagement for myself that ensures the uninterrupted survival of my Sunderer in a theatre of engagement. Once I am confident that my decisions are achieving an agreeable mix between risk/engagement/usefulness and safety I plan to rejoin the TG TS channel and get back into teamwork.

Looking forward to seeing all our various plans develop over the coming year.

It is going to be a long, long war.

E
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse