I can play!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can play!

So I finally managed to get my system to run this game at a semi-playable rate. At first, things were kinda slow but as soon as I looked in the general vicinity of anybody firing a gun it instantly went into slide-show mode. Tried all the ultra-graphics-turned-off tricks which seemed to help, and also cleaned out my computer case and started overclocking. Now I can play, still drop to 5-10 fps during heavy firefights but considering my skill level it's not much of a hindrance. Guess I'll be relegated to Medic, yet again. :row__528:

Also this might be a good place to compare low-end specs and settings to help others in my situation play.

AMD Phenom X3 [email protected]
    4GB DDR2 @800Mhz
    GeForce GTX 460 768MB [email protected]/2.0Ghz

UserOptions.ini:

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=2
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=800
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=1000
    UseLod0a=1
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=0
    EffectsQuality=0
    TerrainQuality=0
    FloraQuality=0
    ModelQuality=1
    VerticalFOV=74
    ParticleLOD=1
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VSync=0
    AO=0
    GpuPhysics=1

Yeah, the game looks like a muddy, pixellated mess but I'm used to crappy GFX. Got into the TG Platoon last night, VoIP worked and everything. Cheers!
    |TG-6th|Belhade
    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Don't forget to set your process priority to high. Time for a CPU upgrade too.

Sarcoma
    Sarcoma.

Comment

Re: I can play!

I think I did set process priority already. First thing to do.

CPU upgrade will probably happen once I get my tax return. Looking at a Phenom II X4 965.
      |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

WOOT another person to join us :)

965 is a good quadcore
        3.8ghz right?
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I had a fantastic performance increase by wiping an old hard drive and taking the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8. I have been wanting to go to 64bit for a long time but couldn't face the reinstallation. Once on a 64bit OS I then upgraded the RAM so I am now on 8GB. Compared to new machines nothing amazing, but compared to a 32bit very happy indeed.

I am running an Intel Q6600 with G0 stepping (but haven't overclocked it). This is my bottleneck now but everything else is upgraded and anything further will be a new mobo.

Comment

I can confirm this game is 100% CPU. I was having a real hard time right after launch killing targets, mostly because my FR would drop to like 7fps in major battles. After replacing my ancient Core2Duo with an i7, and upgrading from 4GB of RAM to 16GB, my framerate rocketed to 30-60fps in the same situation, and was being marked as GPU-limited instead (with a pair of 470 GTX driving the pixels). Now I can actually hit things with bullets! Granted, it cost an arm and a leg, but I was due anyway. Threw in a SSD main drive and a fresh OS install, and things are so smooth now. :)

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
              WOOT another person to join us :)

965 is a good quadcore
              3.8ghz right?
              Its 3.4 stock, but I'm sure I can get it to at least 3.8. :)
              |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

Originally posted by Belhade View Post
                Its 3.4 stock, but I'm sure I can get it to at least 3.8. :)
                for sure, especially with the multiplier and an after market cooler

Originally posted by n1cotine View Post
                I can confirm this game is 100% CPU. I was having a real hard time right after launch killing targets, mostly because my FR would drop to like 7fps in major battles. After replacing my ancient Core2Duo with an i7, and upgrading from 4GB of RAM to 16GB, my framerate rocketed to 30-60fps in the same situation, and was being marked as GPU-limited instead (with a pair of 470 GTX driving the pixels). Now I can actually hit things with bullets! Granted, it cost an arm and a leg, but I was due anyway. Threw in a SSD main drive and a fresh OS install, and things are so smooth now. :)
                i upgraded from 4gb to 12gb of ram and that helped alot. I also got an SSD as of last weekend and did a re-install and that helped at ton with load times. I have a ati 6850 running phyX with a gts 250, the phyX just makes it smoother :) no big FPS increases at all, maybe 2-3, but hey, its better than having it lay on a shelf (I only got PhyX to run because you can edit it in the useroptions.ini file, in the game settings menu its blacked out):p

my i7 930 is running stock speed of 2.8ghz as of now (used to be overclocked to 3.8). I installed water cooling and plan (when I actually have time to spend) to hit 4ghz :D
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Glad to see you in! Another one of my all-time favorite shovel squaddies into the fray!

Comment

Al! I was delighted to hear the dulcet tones of your voice and your lovely accent!
                    |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

Glad to see you in game!
                      sigpic

Comment

Phenom II 965 ordered, should be here sometime after New Year's. $75 from TigerDirect.
                        |TG-6th|Belhade

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X