NC Coalition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC Coalition.

I created this thread to get some feedback on the NC coalition, now that there have been a couple nights that I have lead the platoon whilst operating with the coalition. This isnt whether or not we should make it SOP, just as squad leaders and members, if you think it makes your play time better or worse. I know a lot of people like coordinating with the big outfits. Tonight we rolled with the goons (That's 180 players right there), TAS, CML, and TENC, which came out to be a little over 250 players. This meant we dominated wherever we attacked, and I had a lot of fun doing it. That drop with 20 galaxies on the crown was epic.

However, I want to be considerate if other people dont enjoy being a part of the coalition. I havent heard anybody say this, but I know some players may feel like it makes us subordinate to non-TG'ers, or just prefer to act on our own. So if you have been a part of my platoon while we have been operating with the coalition, what do you think?
    May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Re: NC Coalition.

Working together with other organized people and participating in huge battles makes my game time significantly better.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buflak View Post
      Working together with other organized people and participating in huge battles makes my game time significantly better.
      Exactly !
      Personally I have never noticed that we are "subordinate" to anyone.
      You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
      So that when they turn their backs on you,
      You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

One could argue that working with other groups is kind of what TG is about. We're here to game in groups larger than ourselves using tactics which are reasonable for the setting. Working with other people on our side falls in line with that goal.
        "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

I'm glad you started this thread. I think that the scale of PS2 not only lends itself to working in large coalitions but it almost requires it for lasting success. Yes, a platoon sized element can take territory and even defend it against a moderately larger force. However, when the other teams have huge outfits that they can bring to bear, there really isn't much we can do with the number of players TG has on a normal night.

Besides that, I think coordinating with other like-minded groups in a coalition is fun. I definitely enjoyed playing last night and hope that we do more coordination with other outfits on a regular basis.
          sigpic

Comment

Afterall your Faction is your team and we are all about teamwork. Doesn't have to be anything formal or binding. Sounds like good practice and a lot of fun.

Comment

I'm all for it, I think coordinating with others with similar play styles can really make the game fun. I had to log last night before this happened but I was involved in a previous NC Coalition session and it was pretty cool. And on our server with the huge Enclave outfit bouncing around a NC Coalition can be a pretty good counter balance.
              Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

After playing last night, a friend and I were talking about it being our favorite night of play so far. Working in the big group was great, didn't feel too zergey, and the organization made the experience better. Rushing back to a tower to recap while we were trying to lock esamir was awesome.

There have been nights where TG was on its own and we tended to stay in a fight a little too long and get farmed. All of the movements last night felt just right.

Comment

It was pretty damn fun last night being part of something so large and being able to crush our enemies so completely. But, I do have a couple of issues that I'd like us to discuss.

When I logged in last night, operations were already under way on Esamir and the continent was close to being locked by the NC. At the end of the operation, the NC had close to 70% of the continent population. When the orders came down that we were moving to Amerish, I checked the population on that continent and found that the NC had a moderate advantage in numbers. I then checked Indar and found that the NC was close to being gate locked and were at a serious numerical disadvantage. We were told by the PL (Solo. Great work last night, btw!) that the Coalition wanted to protect the NC's lock benefits on Amerish. Unfortunately, there were some pretty significant queue times to get to Amerish, so Solo had us break off and move to Indar to do what we could there.

So, the first issue I had is this: Why would the Coalition decide to cram 200+ players onto a continent where the NC already had numerical superiority? I understand the desire to protect our benefits but, the decision to move to Amerish was counter to my personal philosophy in Ps2: Go where we are most needed and do the job that most needs to be done.

My first issue leads into the second issue: Who, in the Coalition, is calling the shots? Is it the first squad/platoon that forms up? Does leadership rotate between outfits? How does all that work?

A few qualifiers: I don't feel that either of my issues are anywhere serious enough to warrant not doing business (so to speak) with the Coalition. I feel that we will have the best gaming experience and be able to do the most good operating in a large, multi-outfit group. Like others in this thread have stated, TG is about teamwork and I have no problem taking orders from whomever, TG or not, is in command. I'd also like to say that I'm not advocating questioning orders in game. On the forums, outside of the game, fine.. Never in game.

I guess, in the end, I'm just curious how the decisions are made.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                    I understand the desire to protect our benefits but, the decision to move to Amerish was counter to my personal philosophy in Ps2: Go where we are most needed and do the job that most needs to be done.
                    That is an interesting topic, one that we should discuss further in the Tactics & SOPs subforum. As soon as someone creates it :)
                    Until then, this is how i saw it last night:
                    -What do we lose by being warpgated on Indar when we never conquered the continent? Nothing.
                    -Did we have a chance to conquer Indar and warpgate both the TR and VS? No.
                    -What did we gain if we kept Amerish conquered? An insignificant resource discount when purchasing aircraft.

So we could choose between nothing and a very small something. I feel whoever was calling the shots last night made the right decision.

Here are some quotes from the NCC website:

Neutrality is key. There is NO commander of the NCC, and there NEVER will be.

Every outfit has a say in the NCC, whether 1000 members or 10. well.

Outfits in the NCC are there to support each other when possible. HOWEVER, every leader must understand that it may not always be possible or practical for some outfits to redirect the entirety of their forces in an effort to support another Outfit. Some outfits will have outfit events, planned training, community events.. the list goes on. These outfits operate individually and can choose to do anything without repercussion, whether formal or informal.
                    From this the NCC feels more like a group of outfits you can ask for help if you need it or organize an op together, rather than a leadership structure with strict chain of command rules. If someone in the group aks you to do something that you don't agree with, you can say no anytime you want and there won't be any hard feelings.
                    sigpic

Comment

It was pretty damn fun last night being part of something so large and being able to crush our enemies so completely. But, I do have a couple of issues that I'd like us to discuss.

When I logged in last night, operations were already under way on Esamir and the continent was close to being locked by the NC. At the end of the operation, the NC had close to 70% of the continent population. When the orders came down that we were moving to Amerish, I checked the population on that continent and found that the NC had a moderate advantage in numbers. I then checked Indar and found that the NC was close to being gate locked and were at a serious numerical disadvantage. We were told by the PL (Solo. Great work last night, btw!) that the Coalition wanted to protect the NC's lock benefits on Amerish. Unfortunately, there were some pretty significant queue times to get to Amerish, so Solo had us break off and move to Indar to do what we could there.

So, the first issue I had is this: Why would the Coalition decide to cram 200+ players onto a continent where the NC already had numerical superiority? I understand the desire to protect our benefits but, the decision to move to Amerish was counter to my personal philosophy in Ps2: Go where we are most needed and do the job that most needs to be done.

My first issue leads into the second issue: Who, in the Coalition, is calling the shots? Is it the first squad/platoon that forms up? Does leadership rotate between outfits? How does all that work?

A few qualifiers: I don't feel that either of my issues are anywhere serious enough to warrant not doing business (so to speak) with the Coalition. I feel that we will have the best gaming experience and be able to do the most good operating in a large, multi-outfit group. Like others in this thread have stated, TG is about teamwork and I have no problem taking orders from whomever, TG or not, is in command. I'd also like to say that I'm not advocating questioning orders in game. On the forums, outside of the game, fine.. Never in game.

Your questions are totally understandable :)

Firstly, I had just joined in when we were trying to warp to Amerish, so I am kind of clueless to the situation there. Keep in mind that when the bulk of the coalition is working together, it makes a big difference on a continent fast. When we warped to Esamir with the coalition, VS had most of the map back, but we had them warpgated again in under 45 minutes. 250 players also makes a big difference in population. When we warped from Esamir to Indar, NC population went from 14% to 41% in under 30 minutes. There is a good chance that the coalition moved to Amerish when we had low population, and really went to work, and so when we looked later it appeared they were wasting their time, whereas they were the cause of the high population/territory control.

The guys I know at the Coalition are normally very mindful of going where we need to go. There is a good chance they just got caught up in an epic op (like the gal drop on the crown) and didnt notice the strategic imbalance. As soon as they did, they moved to Esamir.

To answer your second question, there is not one person calling the shots. The Coalition is set up where it is just a teamspeak server where outfit/platoon leaders can talk to each other and organize as they see fit. They arent always working together on one continent, they are often spread out. Even last night, when we had 250 players working together, there were still other Coalition forces on the other continents. All units in the Coalition are Autonomous until they decide to work together. You dont HAVE to work with the rest of the coalition the whole time. I have at times just run our platoon independently, and used the Coalition comms to call in airstrikes and reinforcements when needed. The great thing about this is that the outfits in the Coalition are FANTASTIC about dropping what their doing and sending their whole outfit or however much is needed to assist. For instance, we were attacking a watchtower, but the VS had so much infantry and armor that we couldnt get close to it. I made the report to the Coalition and requested air support, and within 5 minutes we had CML with us with 12 liberators pounding the tower.

So instead of one guy running it all, most coordination starts either with one unit stating their plan and inviting other units to join them, or a unit calling for reinforcements. Most of the time when I start PL'ing I just ask where everybody is and where we are needed, and reinforce whoever has the most need. From there, most of the time all the outfits want to work together. For example, after we took Eisa, the Goons declared their intent to head north, while the rest of us decided to head south. The only time there is actually one guy acting as commander for the coalition is on event nights they do a couple nights of the month, and they rotate which clan gets to have their own man as commander in chief. I believe you have to be an official member of the coalition to participate in those though.

I hope that answers your questions. If not, let me know. I would love to get some feedback from other PL's that will try working with the coalition, especially since I am on vacation, so if youre interested, shoot me a PM and I will give you the details.

Comment

That is an interesting topic, one that we should discuss further in the Tactics & SOPs subforum. As soon as someone creates it :)
                        -What do we lose by being warpgated on Indar when we never conquered the continent? Nothing.
                        -What did we gain if we kept Amerish conquered? An insignificant resource discount when purchasing aircraft.

So we could choose between nothing and a very small something. I feel whoever was calling the shots last night made the right decision.

From this the NCC feels more like a group of outfits you can ask for help if you need it or organize an op together, rather than a leadership structure with strict chain of command rules. If someone in the group aks you to do something that you don't agree with, you can say no anytime you want and there won't be any hard feelings.
                        Didnt see this post until after I finished mine, but yea, this sums it up much better than my rambling haha. Honestly, from a PL perspective, it seems to work very well, everybody gets along well in the coalition. Never have I requested help and not had anybody come to our aid. Due to this I want to be able to use our platoon to help out coalition outfits in need, I am just worried that the platoon members wont understand/appreciate dropping what we are doing to go somewhere else to help.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
                          Due to this I want to be able to use our platoon to help out coalition outfits in need, I am just worried that the platoon members wont understand/appreciate dropping what we are doing to go somewhere else to help.
                          This is exactly why I asked the questions. Not as much for my knowledge as for the knowledge of the entire outfit.

I'll go on record here, stating that I (for whatever it's worth) fully support working with the NC Coalition and that doing so, perfectly highlights the strengths of TG's teamwork oriented play style.

sigpic

Comment

Another thing we need to be cognisant of is, With others calling the shots we will need our PL to say no to certain tactics that some less than honourable people might want us to participate in.

Most of my concerns have already been aleviated by the preceeding posts.
                            Last edited by Toddshooter; 12-19-2012, 12:37 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

You may not gain something directly by stopping a faction from conquering a continent, but you get the indirect bonus of them not getting a bonus.

Also in lieu of actual benefits there is always faction pride. Do you feel more accomplished standing your ground and preventing a faction from getting something they want or just saying "Screw it", and leaving?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X