No announcement yet.

Please please please step up and lead.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please please please step up and lead.

We have an outfit of 150+ members, but I can only think of three dedicated platoon leaders. By dedicated, I mean they are not only active in-game, but pretty much always willing to step up and PL whenever they are needed. This is a problem. Additionally, there are some people that do lead occasionally, but even this group numbers less than a dozen. It pains me to have to rename platoons that still have almost 10 TG'ers in them. Not only that, but it gives the pubbies a bad impression when the PL has to plead with this outfit for someone to step up in his absence.

On the plus side, I HAVE been seeing a greater number of people willing to SL, and thats great, thanks guys. But please dont let it stop there. PL'ing isn't that hard of a job. It will expand your skills and help you get to know more people in the outfit, and experience the game in an entirely different way. I have even been able to get to know guys outside of our outfit because it. For example, I have been working closely with CML whenever I am PL, and most people probably dont realize the growing relationship between our outfits. They very often drop all their plans the moment they hear we are in trouble, and rush to our aid, and they have saved our platoon countless times. That's why I often times will forgo our ops in the middle of a battle to help them out, because I know they would do it for us. Working with them so closely has enabled me to actually get to know their outfit leaders and a lot of their members, and that is awesome fun, and an experience that I wouldnt get if I didnt platoon lead. CML is just an example, there are several other outfits we have been working with regularly. In addition, PL'ing really doesn't put all the weight on your shoulders. You are free to talk to your SL's and ask their advice and make sure you are making the right decision. I dont expect a PL to make the right decision every time, I know I sure dont. But for the platoon to succeed, it needs a leader that will make those decisions. In my experience, a wrong decision as PL is better than no decision.

So I appeal to you to step up to the plate and try out platoon leading, both because it is beneficial to the platoon, and my own selfish motives as well. I already explained the first, and I hate to go off about the second, but I am kind of desperate so I might as well try a personal appeal. I started platoon leading simply because I was tired of having leaderless platoons and wanted to try to establish myself in the community. As anybody that has been in my platoon can tell you, I am not the best platoon leader out there. I am often indecisive, and make bad decisions. No platoon leader is perfect, but I am simply not the type that often puts myself in leadership positions. This is due in part to a lack of confidence, and being intimidated by the community here. Not because its filled with bad people, but because I am one of the youngest members of the outfit (I am 16) so I feel uncomfortable and awkward leading people that are so much older and more mature than I am. My awkwardness is compounded by the fact that I used to hang around TG a couple years ago when I really had NO maturity, and left because of stupid immature choices I made. Oh, and aside from all that, I just have a socially awkward personality. :D

A lot of experience in the PL position has helped make it easier, somewhat. I have gotten to know a lot of our members and simply love our group, and this has made me feel more comfortable in the PL position. I still feel awkward and incapable at times, but it is not as bad as it used to be. Being a platoon leader can be extremely rewarding when things go well. When they dont... well, lets just say its not a high point for my self-esteem. But the highs always come with lows, and I have grown accustomed to being a PL occasionally.

The keyword there is occasionally. Here's why I am really frustrated and selfishly, but desperately, want others to step up: As far as I recall, in the last month I have not had a single play session in which I haven't been needed to step up as PL, and stay as PL until I am done for the night. Not one. Surely even someone who doesnt PL can sympathize with that. Just like everybody here, I dont like doing the exact same thing for months on end. It would be nice if I could be a normal grunt and charge into the action, instead of having to stay back and do nothing but babysit a sunderer whilst watching the battle from afar, keeping track of the tactical and strategic situation, and coordinating the next operation. I get so frustrated that I catch myself trying to throw myself into the action anyways, which further hurts the platoon because that's not my job as PL.

I dont mean to come across as whiny or selfish. My first and foremost priority is the good of the outfit, and that's why I continue to PL every single time, even though there are far more qualified and better equipped natural leaders that could easily step up. But I downloaded Planetside 2 to have fun. Dont get me wrong, PL'ing is most definitely fun... but when I feel like its the only thing I can do when I play with yall, it just wears down on me. Do I need to stop PL'ing altogether until people realize the need for leadership and step up? I dont mind PL'ing semi-regularly, but when its the only thing I ever do, it wears down on me. As it would on anyone.

That's why I'm suggesting that we share the load equally. If everyone were willing to step up and fill whatever position needed, even if they dont think they are qualified, then PL'ing would become fun again, because PL's would be doing it because they WANT to, not because they feel obligated to. In turn, this would positively affect our operations, because a happy PL is much more effective than a grumpy PL. Our community is supposed to be about teamwork. We seem to do a good job of that in-game, but only when operating in the role we are most comfortable with. As I said earlier, PL'ing really isnt that hard when you have good SL's. Step outside your comfort zone and try leading, you may find you like it!

Im sorry for the long rant, this has been bothering me for quite awhile and I felt the need to be honest about it all. Congratulations if you actually managed to read it all. The wonderful people here are the reason I am still around, not because of Planetside 2 or any game, and what you think matters to me, so please post your thoughts and/or critiques. I wont take it personally if you disagree with what I have to say. After all, nobody is above reproach.

On a final note, thank you so much for welcoming me back into your community, despite my shortcomings as a person, player, and leader. It may not always be perfect, and neither am I, but I love it all the same.
    May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Re: Please please please step up and lead.

I know, I've felt bad for not stepping up for SL some times. No way am I doing PL any time soon. But I think I'm just starting to get enough of a grasp on the game to maybe try out SL. So I'll try stepping up if no one else will some time. Especially if there's a good PL.

On a side note, do you happen to be an INFJ, too? I mostly ask because of the long and thought out post like we INFJ's are prone to. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
      On a side note, do you happen to be an INFJ, too? I mostly ask because of the long and thought out post like we INFJ's are prone to. lol.
      I'm not an expert on personality types, but from what I do know, I am very much like an INFJ in many ways, though not all of them. I most definitely do have a tendency to ramble....

Comment

I am afraid that if I start platoon leading I will get addicted to it, and force people to follow me at any time I am in the game. :-) This power would corrupt me. lol. Also, if somebody asked me if they could platoon lead instead of me, I would have to say no. :-)

Kidding aside, I have a theory on this. I think the older (by age) TG members seem reluctant to platoon lead for some reason. I think the younger members seem to step up more readily. Its rather strange.

But in all seriousness, I would think platoon leading would be the funnest part of this whole game.
        Last edited by QuantumQrack; 12-31-2012, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I will be willing soon. I needed to learn the game first. You can't lead if you don't have a clue.

My main problem with leading is I offten need to step away from my PC at a moments notice. So if I am leading I will leave others hanging. I'll definitly be squad leading more now I have a small clue about the game.

Todd
          sigpic

Comment

I'll share my lame excuses as maybe it will apply to others.

When I sit down and log on I'm more than willing to SL or PL if needed. More often than not though, the call for leadership volunteers goes out long after my personally imposed quota has been reached, or I'm just plain burnt out and wont be a very effective leader.

Also, there are those that actually enjoy leading in this title, and for that reason they excel at it. I'm not one of those people. Leading, while enjoyable at times, can be stressful, aggravating, and to me feels like work, especially at the platoon level. When something that is supposed to be entertaining starts feeling more like a second job, it's a sure sign you shouldn't be doing it.

That being said, I'm still ready and willing as "somebody's got to do it". You just gotta catch me at the right time ;)

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumQrack View Post
              Kidding aside, I have a theory on this. I think the older (by age) TG members seem reluctant to platoon lead for some reason. I think the younger members seem to step up more readily. Its rather strange.
              I'm only 18 (one of the youngest members) and am reluctant XD I would love to start squad leading when my schedule clears up.

I think everyone is still getting accustomed to the game, once we start squad leading, the Platoon Leaders will start stepping up
              |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumQrack View Post
                Let me start by saying these are my PERSONAL FEELINGS on this matter and nothing more;

Playing the SL or PL role in this game is something I'm quite interested in. I spent the beta learning the game and how people were playing it, from there I started looking at how to tackle the game from a purely strategic perspective, and then the holidays came. I've been quite busy since a couple weeks before Christmas and won't really be back in action until after the new year.

So now here I sit in a position where I want to start taking on some of these roles while I'm gaming, but you bring up a good point. My biggest reservation in taking on the SL or PL role is the inability for people to follow orders. There are plenty of people wanting others to "lead", but those very same people often seem to have difficultly FOLLOWING the leader.

I don't play to frustrate myself, nor do I play to sit and have debates over and over again about the objectives I've chosen. There's nothing worse than stepping up to lead and having to spend over half your time arguing with SMs or SLs AND their SMs over what you're doing. It just gets to be too much.

Here's where the age comes in. I'm 40 years old and have paid my youthful dues in life. I've learned a ton of lessons in life both in the real world and as someone who has operated this community in one form or another for nearly 15 years. I've seen games come and go, different philosophies tried and failed, and learned lessons EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. I'm more than willing to lead and put that experience to use, but when I've got a bunch of teenagers back-talking and questioning everything on an almost constant basis; I lose that desire VERY quickly. My belief is that the older one gets, the less one is willing to tolerate this type of behavior and since back-seat SL'ing and PL'ing is so rampant in this game, you'll find me less tolerant.

Now lets touch in the IHS system that we created here.... I prefer to SL a group of players that I *KNOW* and play in a very predictable way. I would rather leverage a focused squad that's worked and trained together than a bunch of random people who I may or may not have any experience with. This game is the PERFECT title to leverage our IHS system but what is lacking is a structure to do that. We need a way to easily determine what squads are currently active at any point in time; what their specialties are, and how they can be utilized. A SL should be able to see that the 197th is active as an air assault squad and be able to call on the 197th to assist WITHOUT requiring any formal in-game structure. If the 42nd is pinned down and needs air support, that should be something we can call on regardless of the current platoon structure. I'm not sure how to do this, be it TS, in-game comms, forum posts, calendar events, or something else.

When someone hops on the game and randomly says in Platoon chat "hey, is there a squad going???", what does that mean? What is "a squad" other than a group of people playing together? Are all squads equal? What are the objectives of those squads? Does the squad seeker care about what they'll be doing when they ask such an open question?

I have more questions than answers at the moment, but I spend a lot of time reading the forums, thinking about the questions and issues raised, and working on solutions. I'm not going to just spout something off and say "do it this way" because that way seems like a good idea; I'd personally rather think it through first and/or discuss with others.

In the end.. I'm more than happy to lead people that are willing to follow. I'm not willing to lead people who are constantly questioning everything, distracted by something nearby that's bright and shiny, or who will simply not follow orders because there's something that will gain them more XP/certs elsewhere. I'm not a fan of micromanagement and simply won't engage in it.

I will say that PS2 has put the spotlight on another issue that's been creeping into the community lately; and that's just a simple lack of standardized SOPs. (This is something being addressed RIGHT NOW, by the way) The way we communicate, call out contacts, and generally cover one another can be static across the entire community. When one learns those SOPs they are effectively learning them for EVERY SINGLE GAME WE PLAY and will need less hand-holding and guidance from title to title. We're 15 years old now, it's about time to learn how to behave and think about sitting at the adult's table...

Wow.. That was a rather haphazard dump of what's been on my mind....
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
                  Also, there are those that actually enjoy leading in this title, and for that reason they excel at it. I'm not one of those people. Leading, while enjoyable at times, can be stressful, aggravating, and to me feels like work, especially at the platoon level. When something that is supposed to be entertaining starts feeling more like a second job, it's a sure sign you shouldn't be doing it.
                  Where are these people you speak of? There ARE several leaders that actually enjoy it, but that number is very small. And getting smaller. Last I talked with the two most active PL's we have, they told me they are starting to not want to do it anymore because they have had to do it so much.

There are times when I ask for somebody to step up as PL and someone answers the call. We DO have leaders in our outfit. But obviously not enough. More than 50% of my play sessions end in me pleading for someone to take over as PL, and nobody does, so I have to rename the platoon to something non-TG related.

Comment

Well, you're one of them. Then there's Wyatt and John also of the top of my head. I didn't say there were many. Perhaps I should have also stated that they "seem" to enjoy it, as I shouldn't be making the call as to whether or not they actually do.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
                      Well, you're one of them. Then there's Wyatt and John also of the top of my head. I didn't say there were many. Perhaps I should have also stated that they "seem" to enjoy it, as I shouldn't be making the call as to whether or not they actually do.
                      Wyatt, John, and Al would most definitely be some of the most active leaders off the top of my head. Of course Wyatt is having some technical difficulties, John has more important issues that are keeping him from being in game, and Al is on vacation. So maybe that is contributing to my frustration, but I feel like even if they were all active, we could always use more people that are at least willing to step up and take the PL reigns in a pinch.

You dont have to be a planetside genius to do it, if you have doubts about anything, you can just ask your SL's or inquire over TS. I consult with my SL's before making most of my decisions, unless I am coordinating something big with the coalition, and I try to do a vote among SM's over big changes before I make them. Yes a PL has to be able to make decisions, but he doesnt have to make them on his own, although he can if that is his style.

Comment

I think it is good to solicit people that want to lead to help support the cause. That being said, I don't think that everyone that does volunteer should be a leader. There have been a few times where in a squad I get nothing more then "objective X". At best that is not even a platoon leader that says that, the squad leader should be giving the finite details on a exacting target for that objective. Another issue is the whole 'everybody does what they want" attitude while in the squad anyway. Seen a whole lot of times where there are 5 aircraft, 4 vehicles and maybe 2 infantry to actually go in and convert a objective, that is failure on the squad leader to manage their assets and players to comply.

Me personally, I would much prefer to see various infantry, air and armor squads working in support of a platoon but separate squads.
                        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by Mimir View Post
                          I think it is good to solicit people that want to lead to help support the cause. That being said, I don't think that everyone that does volunteer should be a leader. There have been a few times where in a squad I get nothing more then "objective X". At best that is not even a platoon leader that says that, the squad leader should be giving the finite details on a exacting target for that objective. Another issue is the whole 'everybody does what they want" attitude while in the squad anyway. Seen a whole lot of times where there are 5 aircraft, 4 vehicles and maybe 2 infantry to actually go in and convert a objective, that is failure on the squad leader to manage their assets and players to comply.

Me personally, I would much prefer to see various infantry, air and armor squads working in support of a platoon but separate squads.
                          This. The mixed bag nature of squads is what has put me off leading up to now and certainly deterred me from even attempting Platoon Leading. If you want leaders, you have to be willing to be lead. As the new wears off the game and people settle down I think we will see more leaders emerge as the task becomes a bit more manageable and a bit less like herding cats. Perhaps we can group up for some Leadership events where new leaders have support and squad members focus on doing one job well instead of trying to be a 'swiss army knife' or simply doing whatever they believe will net them the most certs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mimir View Post

And if this is the way TG is expected to operate we need the Outfit Leadership to enforce it in some manner. The [Outfit] is not just some tag its an IN GAME ELEMENT. Many features, after this open beta is finalized, will be included and the [OUTFIT] will become as pertinent to the game as the [PLATOON] is now. There are outfits of X men strong and they have actual OUTFIT officers who actually lead full platoons, coordinate continent wide events.

The [Outfit] isn't just a tag its the "Company" we all belong to and the quicker we realize this the better.

I think I need to clarify myself; I'm talking about the Outfit as in game feature and not some quasi extra-game community. My criticisms are not about the handling and the paper work but the lack of in game handling or force instilled by our outfit. The Outfit seems more like a rag tag group of rebels without a cause.

Now, I'm only saying this because it will matter more and more as PS2 grows up. Now its not a big deal but it is disconcerting.

Comment

Im not suggesting everybody become dedicated PL's, because you're right, not everyone is suited for it. I am merely suggesting that more people at least try it out, and be willing to step if needed. You might be surprised by your hidden leadership abilities ;)

Good points on the mixed squads. One of the most frustrating parts of leading is dealing with people that want to do whatever they want, which is why I started the thread about requesting permission for vehicles. I do try to split the platoon into dedicated squads when there are enough assets needed (If all I need is a couple skyguards it is not worth making another squad). This takes time to organize but is worth it in the end. Would love to discuss details on that more, but I dont think this is the thread to do so.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X