Update 2 INFO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update 2 INFO

Patch goes live on 1/30/13. These may not be the 'final' notes, and some stuff may not make it into the game, as it may not pass QA.

General performance increases, particularly for lower end GPUs
    Experience (XP) system enhancements:
    Dynamic XP system for player kills, players who have more kills on their current life are worth more XP. Freshly spawned players will be worth a fraction of the current kill reward.
    Partial damage XP for dealing damage to vehicles that you don't end up killing
    Population XP / Resource bonus moved over to continent population instead of global
    Better display of XP sources for things like defensive bonuses & population bonuses
    Rebalancing of XP rewards to help support tasks
    Server transfer token available in Depot
    UI changes to emphasize score per minute as a primary metric of player comparison
    Sortable columns on outfit management & addition of "last online" column
    New weapon type for all empires: SMG
    Short period of invulnerability will be added to freshly spawned / revived players - breaks upon game actions such as entering a vehicle or using a weapon.
    Dynamic / player configurable colors for minimap & overhead indicators for enemies, friendlies, and squads within a platoon
    New Hot Spot system that displays where active fights are occurring on the map
    New spawn buildings with more exits, protected balconies and easy roof access to make them less campable.
    Tunnel systems for amp and tech facilities to give access from spawn rooms to interior of bases and base walls without having to go above ground.
    Making MAXes render more reliably at long distances for players in vehicles
    AA improvements, notably flak changes for turrets and skyguards, giving them some better ability to aim, although not drastically impacting their DPS.
    Fixes to missiles so that they more reliably detonate and actually blow stuff up
    Air vehicle weapon tweaks
    Increases to reload speed for certain HE ground vehicle weapons
    And of course... lots of bug fixes
    The rest of the post - http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...02-info.77203/

Re: Update 2 INFO

Wow, fantastic set of changes, fixes and updates, seems to address many of the issues raised on the forums both directly and indirectly. Time for PS2 later to celebrate in anticipation, may even treat myself to some new guns and stuff with all my triple SC!

Comment

I'm very interested in seeing the new spawn building setups and the tunnels.

Comment

Seems like a great set of changes for the most part. I'm very happy to see that they're adressing various prominent concerns with the game. After playing nearly 300 hours I'm kinda burnt out at this point, but I'll definately be jumping back in when the patch hits.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
          I'm very interested in seeing the new spawn building setups and the tunnels.
          Agreed.

I'm also interested in the fix for rockets. I can't count how many times I've watched my rockets, launched from the Hawk launcher, hit a target and deliver no damage. Hopefully the rocket fix, along with the rest of the AA fixes, will make ground based AA formidible again.

All in all, looks to be a pretty sweet patch.

sigpic

Comment

Progress! I'm looking forward to this new build.

Comment

Is there a way to look a person (Player) and know if they are in a Squad, or what squad? I know when I am Soloing it and run into a group of folks that seem to be on the same path as I am, I would like to jump into a Squad with them. I would like a Right Click or something that would give me that info.
              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
              ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Good improvements, though honestly I was kind of hoping for more because of all the hype they put into this. I presume the variable XP awarded per kill depending on how many kills your victim has, is a method of making spawn camping less attractive?
                May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

Yup. Moreso the reduced XP for "fresh" spawns; I'm assuming something like a 30-second timer after spawning, you're only worth like a few % of normal kill XP.
                  |TG-6th|Belhade
                  "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Well, with the addition of tunnels into main bases, spawns won't be such a choke point anymore anyways.

Comment

Very interesting. Most of it seems good, some of it really good. I've been saying for ages that basing cert/xp bonuses on continent pop was the way to go, glad to see it's finally here.

"Partial damage XP for dealing damage to vehicles that you don't end up killing" - That should help make AA 'profitable' and coupled with a SkyGuard buff, aircraft tweaks and having MAX units render at longer distances, I'm thinking we'll see a more balanced ground v air game. I'm just hoping they haven't swung the bat too hard and over-nerfed air...

There are a couple of things I am concerned about in here:

I'm excited to see the new spawn complexes but really, the spawn invuln + reduced XP for freshly spawned players seems like an artificial cure for a problem that really shouldn't have existed in the first place. If someone is getting farmed, they should be relocating, not getting some magical buff to help you out of a tactically disadvantaged situation that you put yourself in.

Invulnerability for revived players just seems like a bad idea. Was this somehow a problem before? It's not like Battlefield where you don't have a choice if a medic revives you or not. With the 'reject revive' option you could always choose to respawn if someone was trying to revive you in a killzone. The ability to make players temporarily invincible on the battlefield seems like an exploit waiting to happen.

"Increases to reload speed for certain HE ground vehicle weapons" - What's this all about? HE tank weapons seemed like they were fine, with the Lightning HE and Prowler HE even being borderline OP... Perhaps they mean the M40 and/or M60 secondary weapons?
                      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Some very interesting looking changes for sure. Can not wait to try them out!

Comment

@Strait Raider
                          I agree on the invulnerability part of the update. The only 'invul' I think should happen is maybe during the revive animation so you aren't instantly cut down the moment you hit accept, but once you're up and ambulant no more invul. One 'exploit' I see happening is someone getting revived and running at enemy troops or something. I do believe that if you're "Freshly Spawned" and there are somehow enemies in your spawn room that you should be able to have enough invulnerability to kill them and prevent them from camping more people; however, the Pain Field handles that for the most part. Really what I see this doing is allowing a team who has lost their base and is getting spawn camped to be able to get out of their spawn room and then do something, but its not really much to get a counter-attack going since you're just going to be chased down and killed the moment you do anything or your invul wears off.

I'm also curious about the HE reload speed change. What guns are they talking about?

Also, Strait, the reduced XP is to ward off people who, instead of capturing a base, just sit their and camp it.
                          Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                          Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Strait, I was thinking the same thing myself re: spawn farming. Maybe if a "fresh" spawn dies very quickly over and over, they get an increasingly long spawn timer, possibly even resulting in that spawn location being disabled for that individual. This would force players to abandon overrun positions. Spawn farming and zerging are a player problem that the players don't seen able to resolve themselves.
                            |TG-6th|Belhade
                            "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                              . . .
                              I'm excited to see the new spawn complexes but really, the spawn invuln + reduced XP for freshly spawned players seems like an artificial cure for a problem that really shouldn't have existed in the first place. If someone is getting farmed, they should be relocating, not getting some magical buff to help you out of a tactically disadvantaged situation that you put yourself in.

Good point, and an old problem in these FPS games. People whine about being camped when they should have the sense to relocate, spawn on a different location, change their approach and so on.

The greater destructive power of air is a bit of a worry. All too often Air ends up overpowered.

But little point in speculating about the effect of these changes just yet . . .
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X