Primer and Jump Pads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer and Jump Pads

I am curious about other peoples application of the primer in the following situation. Lastnight, we were defending a Biolab when the suggestion was made to place a turret on the jump pad landing pad. As the turret takes no damage from this and instantly kills anyone that jumps into it, the question becomes is the tactic using the game engine to gain an unintended advantage over the enemy?

Personally, I am on the fence on this one because, you can kind of control yourself while in the air, to either overshoot or land to the left or right. But, at the same time I also see it as an exploit forcing suicides.
    sigpic

It's a cheap move IMO. If we played on a TG server it would not be allowed, but we play on a public one so all is fair.
    Sarcoma.

Comment

Re: Primer and Jump Pads

According to TSR-Jesse S's response in this thread, placing a turret on a landing pad is not considered an exploit by the SOE Enforcers, because a player is able to exert some control over their flight.

*Disclaimer*
      The following is only my opinion and my interpretation of the Primer
      /*Disclaimer*

The part of the Primer that covers this is as follows:

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine, regardless of the level of advantage, if any, it gives over the opposing team.
      First, consider this: there is no problem with placing a claymore, a bouncing betty, or a proximity mine on a landing pad, is there? Personally, I have mined landing pads in the past and had no trouble from my conscience, regarding the Primer.

Second, SOE has stated that it is not an exploit. Which doesn't amount to much, as we have never allowed ourselves to be governed by an outside entity or their morals. But, if this game mechanic is working as intended, and you are able to control your flight path, it's really not an exploit.

Lastly, the part about "utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics" is kind of hard to apply in this instance since in the real world, we don't have jump pads that can safely fling you hundreds of meters.

With those items in mind, it's my opinion that placing a turret on a landing pad does not violate our Primer. Doing so is not leveraging an exploit.. It's exploiting the fact that many players have no situational awareness, and rarely look where they're going.

**edit**

Damn.. Ninja'd again.

As to Sarcoma's concern that it's a "cheap move", one could say that claymores/betties/mines are cheap, in that the only skill required in using them to kill an enemy, is the skill of placement.

sigpic

Comment

The only thing I would say to the Mining of the pad would be after the first guy set's it off, it must be replaced, where a turret doesn't.

Also @Sarcoma, I'm not sure how I feel about the idea that just because it's a Public server all's fair. We are to take the primer anywhere we wear the TG tag. No matter what. If you don't want to apply the primer, then don't wear the tag, it's that simple.
        sigpic

Comment

In my personal opinion it's a lazy and coward way to defend a position that you should defend using your gun.
          We might as well park galaxies there instead of turrets to cover every spot where people can land, that way we won't have to fight at all.
          I play an MMOFPS to shoot people, not to watch them get splattered on some static object.

Originally posted by Sarcoma View Post
          If we played on a TG server it would not be allowed, but we play on a public one so all is fair.
          Wrong.
          It doesn't matter who runs the server, as long as you represent TG you have to play by TG rules.
          So if you believe it wouldn't be allowed on a server ran by TG then don't do it anywhere else either.

The question is of course whether it would be allowed on a TG server or not.
          sigpic

Comment

It's actually kinda funny how the mechanic works. If you were to just place your own turret, try running up to it, and 'hitting it' while trying to jump on top of it, you'll take a little damage. This also works with tanks, if you for some reason decide to jump on one.

Comment

I think its a sloppy mechanic and I do not think it works with the primer.

Comment

I think it's more important to develop an SOP to alert allies and counter it when we see it being used.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

I don't know why they even let you place them there.....you would think it would be a restricted area XD
                  |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Is it possible to place turrets in doorways where no one can walk through?

Comment

Its cheap because the purpose of the turret is to cause damage by firing a projectile, not from contact, whereas a mine's firing mechanism is triggered by contact.

Now if the turret was not a turret but a big pile of spiky sticks, then you would be using it as intended.

It's not something we should be doing as TG nor does it convey that much of an advantage I would think, fairly pathetic, we should be aiming higher.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
                        Is it possible to place turrets in doorways where no one can walk through?
                        Yes. I've seen a few threads on SOE's Ps2 forum concerning the issue but, it's mostly been complaints about placing turrets at the warp gate.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                          Yes. I've seen a few threads on SOE's Ps2 forum concerning the issue but, it's mostly been complaints about placing turrets at the warp gate.
                          This I whole heartily agree with. Its area denial, thereby funneling the enemy through a more advantageous pathway for you to defend. It would be akin to pushing rubble, barricading a doorway, or blocking off another entrance.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

No matter if it fits the primer or not, its quite annoying for your own team as well. If someone puts a turret on the landing pad, you not only stop enemies from coming up, but also friendlies from returning. You dont really need a turret on there either, as you can generally just camp it and actually get the kills as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Serjikal View Post
                              This I whole heartily agree with. Its area denial, thereby funneling the enemy through a more advantageous pathway for you to defend. It would be akin to pushing rubble, barricading a doorway, or blocking off another entrance.
                              But it's NOT rubble.

The primer would most certainly frown on this type of game manipulation.
                              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X