You're thoughts and feelings.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're thoughts and feelings.

I think we can all agree the game needs work, but since release do you think the game has improved or gotten worse. Finaly question, do you think they are headed in the right direction. FYI, If you're clueless as to that direction you might want to check out the Roadmap.

Re: You're thoughts and feelings.

I think the game is progressing well. The Devs are actively involved which is always good sign.

What I am surprised by is the small number of TG players in this title. It is a free game and if you really do like tactical play style well....What is stopping them from joining us? PR had a huge player base for years. So why not this title too?
    If they continue to improve it I can see it getting better all the time. One of my big wishes is a hardcore server or two :-)

"Patience is a virtue seldom found in women.....and even less in gamers!!!"
    sigpic

Comment

I think the large TG showings in titles such as BF2 and PR were conditioned by a smaller field of worthy games.

I also suspect that the latest phase in game design, the expanded social networking features and integrated forums, provide a form of 'competition' for community members.

Many TGers have, I suspect, moved on to the gaming environments or are gaming far less, but newer players find less compelling reasons for joining TG in a more social gaming environment.

Pure speculation, mind you.

As to the game itself.

More vehicles, weapons, continents. Lots of action each night (and every afternoon!).

Excellent comm discipline in the TG Outfit, plus ample excellent leadership.

A development team (and a new type of business model) that is delivering on the promise of long-term commitment to the game.

Crappy avatar animation is my only complaint -- makes filming CQBs and close-ups of infantry action rather ugly.

I LOVE the way the game enables command and support roles for old farts such as I that are looking for something different than the usual one-on-one firefights.

I find arguments about game-destroying imbalances to be overstated (thus far).

A great environment for studying behaviour in virtual environments.

I am not crazy about the normative mode of teamwork, but that is merely a personal preference and one that I intend to address over time. It seems to me that the comm system and the game's logic invites highly sophisticated squad cohesion and command, but the normative play style is little more than a form of 'parallel play' -- very loosely coordinated action, soldiers moving out to an objective in ones and twos, a lack of cohesion that would bring greater force ratios to enemy targets. There are exceptions, of course. Of course, not everyone seeks out highly disciplined teamwork, and such teamwork only comes as a result of training together as a squad, but I suspect that after a while it will manifest itself on its own accord for those who seek it.

In summary, I find PS2 to have all the attractive elements of previous titles (excluding the lovely realism of ArmA) with expanded organizational and tactical possibilities.

And if you take the time to look around, you will find the sunsets are simply beautiful.

A game I could make love to.

Auraxis!

sigpic

Comment

I think it's headed in the right direction. A bunch of good points about the game have already been brought up and I would second the idea that balance concerns are overstated. One thing I'd really like to see would be the ability to form Companies with up to 4 platoons, preferably with its own command channel.

The only thing on the Roadmap that I don't particularly care for is the addition of Taunts. I'm not totally thrilled about Implants but adding another layer of customization/specialization to your character has it's upsides.

Overall, I've yet to be bored in game for more than 5 minutes. Seems like there's always something to do.

And E-male, a little TMI. I retched a little.

Comment

I almost always have fun when I log on, moreso when the outfit platoon is up. So on some level the devs are doing something right, at least from one player's perspective.

You hear a lot about game balance, but after playing for a few months, and getting a few unlocks, I don't feel that the weapons are particularly imbalanced by faction or type. If anything, the weapon selection is just an opportunity to gear up to fit your particular style and personal strengths. So far, the big factors that seem to most influence victory or defeat are numbers, tactical thinking, and unit discipline. Which is good. Hell, that's great.

I like the new roadmap, and the new features and continents in the pipeline. They do need to work on performance, particularly in large engagements where render distances suddenly go weird, and entire platoons flicker in and out of view at 200m. That has been a problem since PS1, so clearly the technical challenges of a persistent MMOFPS haven't changed much (although I wonder how Tribes would compare).

They also need to address the tendency for combat to cluster up on one continent (Lagdar, Faildar, Queuedar, etc.), but hopefully the addition of Hossin and continent locking with address some of that.

Overall, I stand by my earlier assessment that this is an excellent and stable platform on which to build new features, and I hope that they continue to add content for both the free and the premium player that matches or exceeds the quality of what has already been released.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P.Drona View Post

The only thing on the Roadmap that I don't particularly care for is the addition of Taunts.
            Luckily it has no votes, and if you actually go into the post itself it been thumbed down by the majority, hopefully SOE will take heed.

Comment

I would like them to work on a Commander only position within the game. I feel that if we have 3 or 4 squads going, the platoon leader doesnt really need to squad lead, instead, a squad member should adopt that role and the commanders can concern themselves with strategy, etc.

I suppose this may be boring for the commander, but really if they want some action, they can create it fairly easily if 2,3,4 squads are populated. Also, I guess the commander can participate wherever they want in the battle if there isn't much commanding going on.

I would also like to see a timer attached to people who are kicked from the platoon/squad, so they can't rejoin. One thing I dont like about squad leading is the squad member managment of squad members who don't have a clue what is going on or don't care to participate in the squad (go figure!). (This refers to non-TG members)

I don't think developers quite understand the need for this position (commander) in these types of games, plus this position adds unity to the gaming outfit and I think people will enjoy the game more when there are clear leaders willing to take on this type of role at least during primetime.

To answer the question though, I think the game is coming along well. The voice comms are working excellently, at least for me. This is a game I can probably be dedicated to for a while, which is how I like to approach gaming titles. I still think bases are too open and cap WAY too easily. I would rather see a balance that favors a small group holding off a pretty large group as far as defense goes. All in all though, fun times. :-)
              Last edited by QuantumQrack; 02-10-2013, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumQrack View Post
                I would also like to see a timer attached to people who are kicked from the platoon/squad, so they can't rejoin. One thing I dont like about squad leading is the squad member managment of squad members who don't have a clue what is going on or don't care to participate in the squad (go figure!). (This refers to non-TG members)
                Yes, please. I can think of an example today of a dedicated griefer who just kept tagging along and rejoining the platoon after getting kicked. Dropping sundies on people and tipping aircraft. Trolling in general is a thorny problem that they should address.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

It would be nice if the voip system worked for everyone. Otherwise, everything is fine.
                  Viking

Comment

I think it's coming along quite well. I enjoy it. Especially when we have a platoon of two or more squads going and a good PL. I think we have decent numbers, but I also don't understand why it hasn't brought the numbers that BF3 brought and maybe even still has. Or why more of the BF3 players haven't given it a try. Maybe with time.

Comment

Render Distance, and the visual bug/optimization "fixes" are the two things right now that are making it really hard for me to play consistently. Had a couple games earlier this week where the game would drop in FPS, then freeze, forcing me to CTRL/ALT/Delete to stop. I'd restart, but would then come back. Almost unplayable. Its not my system, or internet.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

My one thought on how to recruit more players and grow within TG as well is this.

Each time a Squad is 3/4 full form a new one. We shouldn't be waiting for it to fill completely before forming a new one as this just wasts time. If we only have a few people in each squad just run them all together like a single squad. We do this quite often anyway.

If we have more squads in the Squad list when people sign into the game they will be more likely to join our larger group. We can then weed out the ones not listening to orders after each base cap. People are more likely to join a larger force I think because we will be more effective.

I find lately we are starting to push the enemy in a strategic position and then we are 8 times out of 10 pushed back hard by a greater force of numbers. If we were even 2/3 of their strength we could hold easily, but we just don't have the manpower to be effective. So we end up doing a fighting retreat for an hour. Sometimes this is fun and OK. I just know I don't like being forced to do it all the time.
                        I think if we can increase our numbers to a full platoon most nights even with some that won't listen. We will end up with a bigger hammer to strike with.

Edit: Also we should be letting people know in game by voice and chat to visit "tacticalgamer.com" if they like this style of gameplay. I know this is how I found TG in the first place.

My 2 cents
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Serjikal View Post
                          Render Distance, and the visual bug/optimization "fixes" are the two things right now that are making it really hard for me to play consistently. Had a couple games earlier this week where the game would drop in FPS, then freeze, forcing me to CTRL/ALT/Delete to stop. I'd restart, but would then come back. Almost unplayable. Its not my system, or internet.
                          Render Distance is annoying sometimes, especially when you can't see what is killing you (HA with lock on rockets). I have also started to have problems with the world disappearing and the game locking up for 30+ seconds.
                          Viking

Comment

Yes,

better VOIP (unlikely but one lives in hope) -- mostly the VOIP is adequate but there always seems to be one SL that does not come through clearly.

More flexibility vis a vis bringing multiple platoons into a company. We can work around this, but it would be awesome to have multiple platoons under ones command with an effective comms structures.

Render distance -- true. It seldom effects me, but it does need improving (and, perhaps unlikely as the design of the game seems to push the tech envelop and thus the render compromise as a historical unresolved issue).

The ability for SLs to kick members from their squad -- this would help the PL greatly.

I can happily PL all evening long sitting in my Command Sunderer. My habit is to create a mostly empty 'pick up' squad for myself so I can focus on commanding the platoon. Going to buy that cool coloured smoke for squad markers.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                              Yes,

better VOIP (unlikely but one lives in hope) -- mostly the VOIP is adequate but there always seems to be one SL that does not come through clearly.

More flexibility vis a vis bringing multiple platoons into a company. We can work around this, but it would be awesome to have multiple platoons under ones command with an effective comms structures.

Render distance -- true. It seldom effects me, but it does need improving (and, perhaps unlikely as the design of the game seems to push the tech envelop and thus the render compromise as a historical unresolved issue).

The ability for SLs to kick members from their squad -- this would help the PL greatly.

I can happily PL all evening long sitting in my Command Sunderer. My habit is to create a mostly empty 'pick up' squad for myself so I can focus on commanding the platoon. Going to buy that cool coloured smoke for squad markers.
                              Don't know if you or anyone else knows, but you can promote someone to Alpha squad lead, while still retaining PL leadership. Might be a way to platoon lead while still having full squads.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X