Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My take on how to grow. TG participation.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on how to grow. TG participation.

I originally posted this in Thought and Feelings thread. In hind sight I think it should be a separate discussion.

My thoughts on how to recruit more players, and grow within TG as well is this.

Each time a Squad is 3/4 full form a new one. We shouldn't be waiting for it to fill completely before forming a new one as this just wasts time. If we only have a few people in each squad just run them all together like a single squad. We do this quite often anyway.

If we have more squads in the Squad list when people sign into the game they will be more likely to join our larger group. We can then weed out the ones not listening to orders after each base cap. People are more likely to join a larger force I think because we will be more effective.

I find lately we are starting to push the enemy in a strategic position and then we are 8 times out of 10 pushed back hard by a greater force of numbers. If we were even 2/3 of their strength we could hold easily, but we just don't have the manpower to be effective. So we end up doing a fighting retreat for an hour. Sometimes this is fun and OK. I just know I don't like being forced to do it all the time.
    I think if we can increase our numbers to a full platoon most nights even with some that won't listen. We will end up with a bigger hammer to strike with.

Edit: Also we should be letting people know in game by voice and chat to visit "tacticalgamer.com" if they like this style of gameplay. I know this is how I found TG in the first place.

My 2 cents
    sigpic

Re: My take on how to grow. TG participation.

Excellent idea.

I know I've been seeing a lot more outfit members chatting the website to the platoon and we've been getting a pretty steady stream of new applicants. Keep up the good work!

sigpic

Comment

The WMD has an excellent way of occasionally reminding the platoon about the outfit's forums.

Regular chat messages re: tacticalgamer.com

Lots of TG promotional videos.

Room in the squads so people can join in and get some TG love.

Solid, mature teamplay and clean comms as well.

As soon as one platoon starts to get full we should start a second one to shadow the first and pick up pubbies.

I find the key is strong, mature leadership. People are attracted to excellence in communication, cohesion, and leadership.

In sort, many players desire good leadership and teamwork, always have in these gaming environments.

Sell by example.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
        The WMD has an excellent way of occasionally reminding the platoon about the outfit's forums.

As soon as one platoon starts to get full we should start a second one to shadow the first and pick up pubbies.

I find the key is strong, mature leadership. People are attracted to excellence in communication, cohesion, and leadership.

In short, many players desire good leadership and teamwork, always have in these gaming environments.

Sell by example.
        Great stuff. The chat messages are something we should definitely add to the Outfit Officers daily to do list.
        Last edited by P.Drona; 02-11-2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

From last night:

sigpic

Comment

What we currently have is great. I still think the Outfit Leaders could expand in the manner that they were suggesting we would expand a few weeks back as well.

Beyond this I would much prefer to start with multi-platoon ops. Particularly sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
              I still think the Outfit Leaders could expand in the manner that they were suggesting we would expand a few weeks back as well.
              Worry not.. we're working on it. We've just hit a little snag that's being taken care of.

sigpic

Comment

My TG-related YouTube channel just passed 1/4 million viewers the other day.

TG branded videos.

Marketing old-school.

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Wow no idea you were up to so many views, that's nice!

Comment

Emale, would you like to try a few videos as an 'embedded reporter?' ^^

No HUD, No gun-draw, just the sweet sweet sound of your voice narrating the battle as it happens! Best Machina EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post

In sort, many players desire good leadership and teamwork, always have in these gaming environments.

Sell by example.
                        I joined the Waterson server by chance, the OD-S clan's North Americans all went there by chance.

I'm with another outfit, not trying to recruit, just want to chat with you guys about this kind of stuff.

We found that using phrases like "recruiting" actually brought in the wrong kind of player.

Instead we've done just as suggested here, split our outfit-only platoons into two platoons and then split the 6 to 8 squads with outfit members evenly distributed amongst each squad.
                        1 PL, 6 to 8 SLs, 6 to 8 2ic's, and various outfit members in dedicated positions, such as lib pilot/gunner combos and reaver pilots.
                        We also name our platoons by the Platoon leader, to create a cult of personality over time. In the free marketplace of squad advertising in PS2, your outfit is only as good as the reputation of the officers leading the platoon and squads. (We split duties leading platoons on a weekly schedule)
                        Combined, this has worked really well and we're getting a lot more mature players who are looking for an organized group of mature players. But we're also getting mature players who weren't looking for an outfit, but find they enjoy the community gaming potential of PS2.

THe other thing we did was welcome good players from other outfits, especially milsim or milsim-ish groups to join our platoons, knowing these guys would not need babysitting.

TG has a really good reputation, and pushing the recruiting too hard has more downsides than upsides imho, just get them to the forum once and they'll make their own decision.

The first 6 weeks the guys did open recruitment, and merged some other smaller groups into ours. It was a disaster, be careful mass recruiting in a free to play game, lesson learned. The first day the planetside API displayed the last login date column, we had to purge 1000 members.
                        litoralis, litoralis, litorale, adj (Latin)
                        1. of the seashore
                        2. Beach bum

Comment

Originally posted by LITOralis2.nmd View Post
                          I joined the Waterson server by chance, the OD-S clan's North Americans all went there by chance.

I'm with another outfit, not trying to recruit, just want to chat with you guys about this kind of stuff.

We found that using phrases like "recruiting" actually brought in the wrong kind of player.

Instead we've done just as suggested here, split our outfit-only platoons into two platoons and then split the 6 to 8 squads with outfit members evenly distributed amongst each squad.
                          1 PL, 6 to 8 SLs, 6 to 8 2ic's, and various outfit members in dedicated positions, such as lib pilot/gunner combos and reaver pilots.
                          We also name our platoons by the Platoon leader, to create a cult of personality over time. In the free marketplace of squad advertising in PS2, your outfit is only as good as the reputation of the officers leading the platoon and squads. (We split duties leading platoons on a weekly schedule)
                          Combined, this has worked really well and we're getting a lot more mature players who are looking for an organized group of mature players. But we're also getting mature players who weren't looking for an outfit, but find they enjoy the community gaming potential of PS2.

THe other thing we did was welcome good players from other outfits, especially milsim or milsim-ish groups to join our platoons, knowing these guys would not need babysitting.

TG has a really good reputation, and pushing the recruiting too hard has more downsides than upsides imho, just get them to the forum once and they'll make their own decision.

The first 6 weeks the guys did open recruitment, and merged some other smaller groups into ours. It was a disaster, be careful mass recruiting in a free to play game, lesson learned. The first day the planetside API displayed the last login date column, we had to purge 1000 members.
                          This.
                          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

We are very far from having to purge 1000 members, and have yet to experience any significant recruiting related problems.

I like the idea of two platoons, and we are already beginning to do that.
                            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X