Squad Naming Recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Naming Recommendations

To help us in our recruiting drive and bring new blood into TG I would ask that if you are running a public squad please use the following naming scheme.

www.tacticalgamer.com - Alpha Squad - recruiting

This gives out our website, what squad within the platoon they are joining and that we are recruiting. As always if someone has questions about recruitment that you don't know or can't answer find and officer or direct them to the webstie. Thanks

Re: Squad Naming Recommendations

In the interest of improving recruiting, I offer up the following analysis of the above phrase, and humbly submit suggestions for improvement.

You see, in my capacity as a small business owner for the last 18+ years now, and not having a large advertising budget, I have taken a keen interest in the study of advertising and marketing (and I personally write all of our ad copy). And I think we should aim our in-game message more toward our target market. We are somewhat of a niche community, and our recruiting message should convey some idea of the essence of what we stand for, as it is the only chance we may get to pique the interest of the right kind of potential player(s) that we are looking for (and who are looking for us!).

I also remember how I stumbled across the TG server in BF2/PR and became hooked immediately, as it was exactly what I was looking for. I agree with what (I believe it was) eMale said about there being a thirst out there for our style of play, and personally think it is an under-served market, so to speak. These people are out there, looking for us, let's make it as easy as possible for them. :)

www.tacticalgamer.com - Obviously, this is important. The name Tactical Gamer in and of itself crystallizes what we are all about. It also points to our website where the curious can find much more information about us, should they so desire. Although I would leave off the www as it is wasting valuable limited space and, personally, capitalize slightly for better readability: TacticalGamer.com.

Also, I think that mentioning the specific squad name is not really necessary, and is another waste of space. Furthermore, as squads get folded into other ones as the evening progresses, this info can and does become out of date.

I similarly feel that adding the phrase "recruiting" is redundant, as the squad is already open for recruitment, in fact it is listed in a recruiting list already.

So, now that we have trimmed it down to only the website name, what to put instead? One short statement that encapsulates what we are all about and will (hopefully) attract the right kind of player to us. Luckily, it has already been written. I think that our tag line, "The premier community for mature gamers", along with the name TacticalGamer.com, is already perfect. Also, by sheer dumb luck, I have found that the following phrase fits exactly within the character limit, with 0 characters left to spare: :)

TacticalGamer.com - The premier community for mature gamers

Remember, the purpose of this message is just to get them in squad. After that, we only have to be ourselves and do what we do. Although a lot could be said about just being friendly in general, saying hello to new squad mates as they join up, etc. but that is a whole another conversation. :) But do try and remember, that we were all new at one time, there was a time when we may have not had a mic, etc...

A word on platoon management

I also think that the recruiting squad(s) should ideally be kept close to, but not actually full. This will keep us closer to the top of the list in the recruiting screen. As they fill up, it will be up to the PL to move them into other squads and manage the composition. I try to keep at least a handful of recognized, seasoned VOIP players with a few "new guys" in each squad. Obviously the more seasoned veterans the better, but this is not always possible. You have to strike a balance, too many new guys in a particular squad and it is hard to keep organized and demonstrate our disciplined style of play. Too few "new guys" (and/or, no open space in a squad) and we will never get enough new blood in to keep the community we all know and love going... I think we should try to follow that composition, and let the platoon swell naturally throughout the night, and if we fill up a whole platoon (or 3 full squads, if you run it as eMale does with a separate command element) then start up another platoon.

Discuss? :)
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
      . . . if we fill up a whole platoon (or 3 full squads, if you run it as eMale does with a separate command element) then start up another platoon.

Discuss? :)
      I'll have a few comments on your interesting ideas later on.

Just a quick note on my platoon structure.

I always start a platoon with myself in a solitary command squad (which may also include an XO). Only once Bravo, Charlie, and Delta are full do I begin to populate Alpha squad.

The more squads the better.

It is worrisome that PS2 has not expanded communication and organization functionality beyond a mere 4-squad platoon, but that is a matter for another thread.
      sigpic

Comment

I wish I could go back to the wacky days on Battlefield 2142 and start naming my squads like the 8th Mercs; |TG|NUTS or something like that. XD It would at least convey that while we are serious, we also like to have fun and mess around. Then again, the Mercs were a wild bunch. I hope they're doing ok nowadays.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Also, I think that mentioning the specific squad name is not really necessary, and is another waste of space. Furthermore, as squads get folded into other ones as the evening progresses, this info can and does become out of date.
          I'm fine with most of the ideas except for the squad name. I do like to know which squad is which at the squad lists. If they are all up on the list it helps me jump into the one I'm looking for. Most times it doesn't matter, but there are situations where I'd like to target which squad I land in without having to have the PL bother to move me. Examples might be wanting to be in the same squad as my IHS for the night, or wanting to help a SL mentor a large mass of blue tags.

Comment

I agree with Randy. If I was a random pubby looking to find some action on the squad list, the chief thing I'd go after is name recognition (or the fact that ANY squad on that list is using an outfit tag and not "Bob's crew of DOOM!"). If it says something like TacticalGamer-recruiting it could actually scare me off on the assumption that that particular squad is for recruitment purposes *only*, not a functional part of a platoon. Unless platoons are divided into role-specific squads (and if bravo is a tank squad, include that in the name) just seeing the name "TacticalGamer" is enough to know what I'm getting into. Which squad it is, is completely irrelevant to me. As a random pubby I'd assume that if a squad is listed on the open squad search page, it most likely means that they not only are welcoming random people to join in the fun, but are probably recruiting for players as well (why else would you advertise your open squad). I think that recruitment messages during normal battle operations would be a more effective way to gather recruits anyways, and from what I've seen thats what we do anyhow.

TLDR throwing in TacticalGamer.com is really the only thing we need to gather players. It worked in other games and it'll work here.

Comment

I agree that RECRUITING is redundant. Pretty well all outfits are in competition for new members and are recruiting.

I agree that Tacticalgamer.com

is much better than www.tacticalgamer.com

I think putting ALPA, BRAVO and so forth is good as it shows organization.

I think TacticalGamer.com - The premier community for mature gamers

is way too much typing and begs the question of how the word MATURE is understood by the unwashed masses.

My recommendation:

Tacticalgamer.com Alpha
              Tacticalgamer.com Bravo
              Tacticalgamer.com Charlie
              Tacticalgamer.com Delta
              Tacticalgamer.com Air Squadron

I also think adding the name of the SL would be fine, as people seek out certain leaders.
              sigpic

Comment

There are good cases being made for losing the 'recruiting' tag from the squad naming convention and I concur. I think it's fine to drop the continent from the squad title also. I'll go ahead and update the SOP to reflect that those terms are longer included in the convention.

Thanks, as always, for the input.

Comment

After thinking about this some more, and experimenting with some variations of the above the last few nights playing, I have some further thoughts.

I think back to BF2 / PR, and what would make me want to join certain squads. I hated the squads where there seemed to be no organized play or teamwork; what was the point of being in a squad, if they didn't work together and function as a squad? I didn't realize this until very recently, but now looking back, I remember always joining squads that had VOIP and/or TEAMWORK in the title. Usually, when I would get in to one of those squads, it ended up being the kind of play I was looking for. A strong, knowledgeable leader, who kept the squad together and knew what he was doing. And other players with mics, which usually (not always) is a signal for more tactically minded players, with that thirst for organization we keep talking about. Which results in an effective squad, instead of a collection of individuals. In short, just the kind of squad I (and many others) enjoy being a part of. And these are the kind of players we are looking for, and who are looking for us.

I do suppose it is good to know which squad in a platoon it is (Alpha, Bravo, etc.). I had been thinking strictly in terms of recruiting, however in terms of existing members trying to find a certain squad, this is necessary. Personally I found this helpful last night when I had to log several times due to mic bugs, and it was easier to find and get back into the squad I was leading.

Similarly, I believe putting the continent in the title helps people to find you, or join a squad operating on a continent they prefer or are already located. How many times have you heard in TS or in Outfit, "what continent are you guys operating on?"

Finally, I do think that the kind of squad you are running (infantry, armor, air) should maybe be reflected in the title, particularly if you plan on doing that the majority of the night. I primarily run an infantry squad, and last night was no exception. At times, we were however directed by our PL to grab armor, in which case we became more of a mechanized infantry force. But primarily we operated as infantry all night, and that reflected in my naming convention.

Other things to possibly consider adding should be SL name maybe? Someone said that certain SLs will become popular as leaders and that should be advertised in the squad recruiting title. Not sure if there is enough space for this, particularly after adding this other info (or if I even necessarily agree with it), but it is just another thing to consider. Other than that, I think we have covered all the bases.

So, after some additional tweaking, and considering the above discussion, I believe the following would work well:

TacticalGamer.com - Bravo Indar Infantry VOIP Teamwork or
                  TacticalGamer.com - Bravo Indar Armor VOIP Teamwork or
                  TacticalGamer.com - Bravo Indar CAS VOIP Teamwork

You could tailor the tags in the title to reflect what sort of squad you are running that night.

So, the bottom line, does it perform it's intended function insofar as making it easy for existing outfit members to find the squad they are looking for, as well as netting new recruits? Well, last night I had finally settled on the above wording, and I noticed a marked increase in new squad mates that I had not seen before. And almost all of them had and were using mics. And they were excellent squad mates, following orders, concise on comms, you can tell that many of these guys had experience playing tactical type FPS games. It was great. A few times (when I was not heavily engaged, and I would remember to), I had to ask the PL to move people out of my squad because it was full. Although I did mention the website a couple times, I didn't think to actually just ask people if they wanted to join the outfit. When I did, I got 4 sign-ups on the spot (therefore I will be doing that more again in the future)!

As the night wore on after prime time, I continued to get experienced, mic'ed players that were instrumental in not only keeping my squad full, but keeping us functioning as a cohesive force. Later on, a lot of the guys who were joining seemed to be from other outfits who had folded up there operations for the night. But I made some more friends, including one outfit leader who was also interested in joining the NC Coalition TeamSpeak server. And who knows, maybe some of them may find their way to TG one day after playing with us, reading the forums, and seeing how we do things.
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I think we are at the point where we are going to start running a second platoon (of at least another squad or two, and soon maybe more) on a fairly frequent basis. With this, comes the question of how to adjust the naming convention to reflect this? What should we change "Alpha" to, in order to reflect as being in first or second platoon?
                    2Alpha
                    2 Alpha
                    2 plt. Alpha
                    etc.??

How would the naming go in a real military unit? I was trying to Google this the other day, but couldn't come up with anything. But that should be a really easy answer for anyone who was actually in the service.

Comment

I greatly appreciate the operating continent being in the squad name.

Comment

Yes Boogalo, that is part of the SOP already. This is only a proposed change to the squad naming portion of the recruiting message, in order to account for multiple platoons that we have been running with increasing frequency lately.

I spoke to my brother yesterday (20 years in the service, retired) who told me that Army doctrine would be (for example) 1st Squad, 2d Platoon, Alpha Company. Since our squads are alpha (i.e. letters, as opposed to numbers) it would be something like Alpha Squad, 2d Platoon. Therefore I propose the following:

First Platoon (start out the evening with this naming convention, even if we never get to the point of a second platoon):

TacticalGamer.com - Charlie 1st Platoon Esamir Infantry VOIP (which just fits, with no space left to spare)

or should we do

TacticalGamer.com - Charlie Sqd, 1st PLT Esamir Infantry VOIP (which actually does NOT fit, by one character)

therefore

TacticalGamer.com - C Sqd, 1st PLT Esamir Infantry VOIP (which does fit)

I kind of like that last one the most. But, what do you guys think? Do we need to write out Alpha, Bravo, etc.? I think it sufficient to just put the letter, which allows more space for other things such as "Infantry" (or "CAS", etc.), the continent, and VOIP. I think it is important to include VOIP as it attracts people who use VOIP who are the sorts we will need for future leadership.

Whatever we decide to do, I am a firm believer that it should be followed by everybody exactly as I think it demonstrates great organization to have the exact same formatted message in the recruiting list put up by each squad. This is something I always take the time to micromanage as PL. Our recruiting message is our initial public face in game and I think it very important to have a consistently formatted message.

So this is what it might look like:

TacticalGamer.com - A Sqd, 1st PLT Esamir Mech Inf VOIP
                        TacticalGamer.com - B Sqd, 1st PLT Esamir Mech Inf VOIP
                        TacticalGamer.com - C Sqd, 1st PLT Esamir Armor VOIP
                        TacticalGamer.com - D Sqd, 1st PLT Esamir CAS VOIP

TacticalGamer.com - A Sqd, 2d PLT Esamir Infantry VOIP
                        TacticalGamer.com - B Sqd, 2d PLT Esamir Infantry VOIP

Now, how nice would it look to see that in the recruiting list, all formatted the same? Which Outfit would you join, if you were new to the game? :)

Another thought, the word "Teamwork" could be substituted for "Armor" or "Infantry" as it also fits within the character limit. Often times, we are not dedicated infantry or armor. Only name your squad as such if you are dedicated role as such for the evening (usually this will be Infantry, Mech Inf, or CAS). Otherwise, probably just put "Teamwork" instead.
                        Last edited by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL; 04-18-2013, 01:32 PM. Reason: added bit about "Teamwork" at the end

Comment

I vote for just putting Teamwork instead of (Infantry, Armour...etc) This game is so fluid the squads end up only doing a certain task for a very short period of time usually. We would spend half the night reorganizing and renaming squads instead of actually playing the game.
                          sigpic

Comment

TacticalGamer.com 1-1-A Teamwork VOIP <Insert Jibberjabber>

"A Sqd, 2nd PLT" strikes me as a lot of characters to describe platoon and squad, and strikes me as the wrong order to have them listed. company(continent?) - Platoon - Squad or just Platoon-Squad numbering seems more reasonable to me.
                            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
                              I vote for just putting Teamwork instead of (Infantry, Armour...etc) This game is so fluid the squads end up only doing a certain task for a very short period of time usually. We would spend half the night reorganizing and renaming squads instead of actually playing the game.
                              Yeah, that was the point I tried to add in my last paragraph, perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. Just use "Teamwork" unless you plan on being a dedicated squad of certain asset all night ("Air" or "CAS" comes to mind). I have not seen a dedicated Armor squad for the evening, but perhaps that would actually not be a bad idea, now that I think about it... :icon3:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X