Can we do the cc-thing already?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we do the cc-thing already?

Can we? Never saw anybody doing it so far (with the exception of E-male in some video of his)
    I think it is a very good idea, but apparently it doesn’t find itself executed.

Re: Can we do the cc-thing already?

My opinion (omg again? stfu Serj, we hate your opinion)

If I'm Platoon Leading, and we're in a fight, I don't want my SL's typing something in chat when they should be moving their characters in a fight. Even though it takes barely any time to push enter, write cc, and hit enter again, its time wasted when they can just give a "Rog, moving". It gives me as a PL an audible indication that they're doing what I asked, while I can be focusing on moving squads, moving to a more advantageous position, or firing on the enemy.

Having flown formation flights as a pilot, hearing your wingmen call out "2", "3", "4", or hearing the actual "click, click" over the radio is better than visually seeing them breaking off. I don't have to see them doing what I asked, when I just heard them respond, knowing they'll carry it out.

If I'm SLing, I'm not going to take my hands off my mouse to move to my keyboard to type something, when my pinky finger can click a button as I'm running/shooting, say "Rog" and keep going. I can multitask, and having to move hands to the keyboard is impractical when we're in a fight.

Ready.. ready.........

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

cc
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Serjikal View Post
        If I'm SLing, I'm not going to take my hands off my mouse to move to my keyboard to type something, when my pinky finger can click a button as I'm running/shooting, say "Rog" and keep going. I can multitask, and having to move hands to the keyboard is impractical when we're in a fight.
        Agreed. Even for a squad member it's inconvininent, impractical and slow.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Evilhardt View Post
          Can we?
          You can. I won't. I have a hard enough time just single-tasking in a firefight. :)

...and please don't mention E-male anymore. I'm having a hard enough time getting his orange fabric covered thrusting package out of my mind as it is.

Comment

Uhm... but that's what macros are for, guys! I wrote a macro and only need to make 1 (!) click. That costs me less time than holding down squad voice channel key and saying something.

My macros are:

"Enter" + "Backspace" + "/" + "s" + "c" + "c" + "Enter" (when not being SL)

"Enter" + "Backspace" + "/" + "p" + "c" + "c" + "Enter" (when being SL)

I even use those for playing with pubbies in a slightly altered form:

"Enter" + "Backspace" + "/" + "s" + "c" + "o" + "p" + "y" + "Enter" (when not being SL)

"Enter" + "Backspace" + "/" + "s" + "a" + "c" + "k" + "n" + "o" + "w" + "l" + "e" + "d" + "g" + "e" + "," + " " + "p" + "l" + "e" + "a" + "s" + "e" + "Enter" (when being SL)
            Last edited by Evilhardt; 02-13-2013, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Beep beep

Comment

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

He means this: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/planets...edgements.html
                  Viking

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
                    I have no idea what you are talking about.
                    But why haven't you read the SOPs? This suprises me...

Comment

I agree with Serj. We're bombarded by visual information enough as it is, and if you've reached the point where a single "roger" has made VOIP crowded then you've got other problems.

Also, the issue with a macro (apart from being a minor inconvenience to set up), is it breaks down the moment you ask pubbies to confirm anything - SM or SL.

I was just thinking recently, a good way to cut down on VOIP is to use the built-in voice macros, unfortunately they're only proximity based. It'd be great if we could have squad and platoon-based versions of the same thing, then "acknowledged" would do the trick. The two sound different enough that I find I can filter out voice-macro calls around me if I'm busy.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Oh but those v+number things especially v+9 (is 9 "Affirmative"? I know it's some higher number...) are way more inconvenient. You have to move you left hand away from wsad...
                        Also it is not about making comms crowded, it is about saving air time... that is a completely different thing!

Comment

Surely that entirely depends on your own keybinds? My voice-macro is X, which means I move my thumb away from "jump" + VOIP buttons - neither of which I'd use at the same time. You'd also have this exact same issue with any button you set up to be a macro (when PS2 already uses quite a lot of keys).

Either way, it's still a single word here and there. I think more concise communication in-general would save more air-time. Besides, I'm not saying it's perfect, just not so terrible.

EDIT: If we had extra voice macros they could be handled like Tribes, for example, press X, then 1 for proxy, 2 for squad, 3 for platoon. No new buttons.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

I would just like to reiterate that part of our Planetside 2 SOP's is to use cc per Jeepo's SOP information in this thread: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/planets...edgements.html

Although I haven't used it much, if at all, I am sure he put it in there for a reason.

Personally though, I just do as the PL or SL asks sans any sort of acknowledgement. It would be easy though to get into the habit of acknowledgment of orders with "cc".

If the battle gets heated, and the PL is passing on orders to SL's, etc, then it makes good sense to keep the comms clear voice-wise and use "cc".

One other aspect using cc helps is the engagement of the player with the mission, orders or objective. It may seem inconsequential but typing cc means your fellow squad members are engaged and paying attention to the game and hopefully kicking some ass.

Last but not least, this ties in well with the Planetside 2 SOP here:
                            http://www.tacticalgamer.com/planets...t-reports.html

One thing I have noticed is that squad members shoot at anything that moves at anytime without much discipline. Maybe you shouldn't shoot. Maybe you are getting shot at, and you still shouldn't shoot. Fire discipline should be something we can all work on, which ties in with using "cc" for acknowledgement of fire conditions.

Waiting to fire at an approaching enemy and then getting the go-ahead to open fire from a fire team leader, and barraging the enemy with sudden killing rounds would be an awesome spectacle, especially with armor rounds hitting specific targets. (not to mention effective).

Comment

Originally posted by Evilhardt View Post
                              Uhm... but that's what macros are for, guys! I wrote a macro and only need to make 1 (!) click. That costs me less time than holding down squad voice channel key and saying something.

My macros are:

"Enter" + "Backspace" + "/" + "s" + "c" + "c" + "Enter" (when not being SL)

"Enter" + "Backspace" + "/" + "p" + "c" + "c" + "Enter" (when being SL)

I even use those for playing with pubbies in a slightly altered form:

"Enter" + "Backspace" + "/" + "s" + "c" + "o" + "p" + "y" + "Enter" (when not being SL)

"Enter" + "Backspace" + "/" + "s" + "a" + "c" + "k" + "n" + "o" + "w" + "l" + "e" + "d" + "g" + "e" + "," + " " + "p" + "l" + "e" + "a" + "s" + "e" + "Enter" (when being SL)
                              Is this a game feature or something your using with an external program?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X