Ideas for New Weapons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for New Weapons?

I got to thinking Friday about having a bit more variety of weapons when it came to the infantry. I'm not talking about a new carbine that deals 8 bars of damage on a 10 bar scale, reloads at 6 bars, has an accuracy of 5 bars, has a 35 round mag, etc. I'm talking about guns that are unique in a sense of how they shoot/operate, much like the flamethrower that the NC had in the trailer. (Or at least from what I saw.) To be more specific, I was thinking that the Infiltrator could have an anti-material rifle that could not only 1-shot a MAX, but be decent against tanks. (Or aircraft, if you happen to be incredibly lucky.)

For example; the NC's anti-material rifle would deal about one third of a Lightning's health in damage, have a long reloading time but is effective up to 700-1000 meters...even though rendering is nowhere near that far. The Vanu's A-M rifle would have an almost instant travel time, only be fire-able through the scope view, has eight shots in one convenient magazine, but that is compensated for the fact that it overheats after every shot, whereas NC and TR have to reload each shell/mag. The Vanu weapon starts to lose effectiveness after 400 m though. The TR rifle would have 2 rounds per mag, but the rifle would still be bolt-action. The whole point of it would be that while the NC is just a much better rocket launcher, you could fire 2 rounds before having to change mags out, making the overall DPS better than the other two. However, the rifle would suffer from slower projectile velocity than the other two and be less precise.

I don't know if there are any weapons you guys would like to see included in Planetside 2, but I thought I would post a small brain-storm I had while operating on a few hours of rest. :p

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Re: Ideas for New Weapons?

I'd like to see a 2 man mortar. On would fire the weapon and the other would be the spotter, preferably with a drone of some sort that fed images to the "gunner". I don't have any idea on stats for it.. I just want it.

As for the AM rifle.. hell no. I get in tanks to get AWAY from the snipers! :madsmile:

sigpic

Comment

I too want an AM rifle. Right now the game doesn't really need it but more variety of light armored vehicles would spice it up. Plus it'd be a great way to kill a Sunderer from a range.

Artillery will be interesting. We all know how much mortars changed the 'metagame' of PlanetSide 2 adding in a whole host of support roles and tactics and range cards... I don't know what can happen on the balance side though.

Comment

Laser guided munitions such as LGBs or LGMs that require troops on the ground to actively track the target would be nice. Make the ammo count be low or require aerospace resources to get more.

On the note of an Anti-Materiel rifle, I wouldn't want to see it so prolific that you could have a squad of infiltrators that could wipe out an armour column. Maybe give it to another class and have each shot cost infantry resources, have the total ammo count be low, and still do decent damage on armour from long range.
        Blackpython / ZephyrDark
        Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

I think each shell using infantry resources would be a good idea, I mean, we hardly use it up fast enough as it is. Perhaps three or four shots before having to resupply would be a good idea and the certifications for munitions pouches wouldn't be a bad idea either. I was thinking that the NC's would be the strongest for obvious reasons, and the other two guns would deal about a quarter of a Lightning's health. I don't think that would be much, but I'm sure that there will be a squad of Infiltrators that will abuse this tactic no matter how unrealistic it would be.

I would certainly like to see some form of artillery later on as well as other vehicles, but from what I heard about the original Planetside, people abused the hell out of it and I think it was discussed at great length on here on how to use it, what would need to happen, etc. Maybe the mortar idea would be a good idea, and having it use infantry resources. Maybe the infiltrator could use it and his spotter would require a set of binoculars that you would use to mark targets similar to Red Orchestra 2.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

If throwing it out there, I think that air superiority is too heavy in the game. I would like to see a turret which has lock on capability from bases to slow down the air zergs that have become more prevalent.
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Air will only increase in power as time progresses. The incredible bulk of the dedicated attack or transport platforms is highly questionable. I understand that the game is trying to balance the two vastly separate playstyles of 'small outift/causual friend/pick-up play' and the highly organized and competitive large outfit/alliance play.

I know its no fun as a single lib pilot to be shot out of the sky because Outfit XYZ has blockaded your WG with bursters and skyguards but come on... when it comes down to scale a huge air battle is vastly in favor of air due to increased health and manueverability let alone total lethality of the platforms.

It'll be far far far far worse when the Galaxy has the AMS.

This being said I want a dedicated Air Superiority Fighter. Something that flies high and fast and is more like a plane than the VTOL crap we have now (VTOL crap which I love).

I'd also love an G2A mobile 'SAM' station or Heavy FLAK (think Tunguska). I'd play that daily.

Finally I'd want to clarify that the AM rifle, in my mind, would be a Heavy Assault Weapon. It would be okay on people, two shots, heavy drop-travel time, no 'splash', but it would shine best against all ground vehicles but MBTs and Higher.

Particularily I'd see it as the hard ranged counter to a deployed Sunderer. Less damage per shot than an annihilator rocket but significantly easier to aim and put more shots down range. Personally I think it'd be best Empire Specific to the TR. The NC would get this 'scatter rocket' system that would require a lock on... screw the Vanu.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                Particularily I'd see it as the hard ranged counter to a deployed Sunderer. Less damage per shot than an annihilator rocket but significantly easier to aim and put more shots down range. Personally I think it'd be best Empire Specific to the TR. The NC would get this 'scatter rocket' system that would require a lock on... screw the Vanu.
                While on the topic of 'scatter rockets', you could just use the drunk missiles from Rise of the Triad (Old school reference), it would work in a similar fashion. I think it would work better if you could only dumb-fire it, no lock-on. Maybe the lock-on could be a cert later on, but that rocket launcher would have more overall power at the expense of being like a shotgun. And while I share the opinion of 'screw the Vanu', just give them the Spartan Laser. I'm sure since most of them are the newbies and hailing from the consoles, they'll eat that crap up. :p

As for the topic of air superiority, that's just the way things are in war as well. If you control the sky, you control the enemy's ground operations, your logistics, recon, and will eventually win the war. I mean, the same thing happened in World War 2. But I don't know what we could do against the large waves of aircraft we have been seeing lately. Just spawn more G3 Walkers, you'll eventually clear up the skies...eventually...

Comment

Assuming that PS2 is more analogous to a futuristic total war than the more recent isolated conflicts of the late 20th & early 21st Air Superiority should not be the be all end all and the Ground should not be so naked. The game has made a significant level of progress against the exponential strength of Air Assets and I can only hope that at some future point we on the ground will get that great equalizer to the Liberator and Galaxy's bulk which certainly causes problems when 'air zergs' occur.

Comment

Some people use tanks for artillery but I think that's just a waste of ammo. That's why I would love to see a Artillery Vehicle that would deploy like a sunde and have a very large splash damage. The Artillery would be something that (once deployed) will expand a map and show a area of about 250-300 meters, this would be the radius of which the artillery could fire, the artillery would have a EXTREMELY long reloading time. I think a good strategy would be to spot one or two vehicles of a zerg near the center. Three mobile artillery would deploy in three diffrent directions away from the path of the zerg, when the squad/platoon leadear gives the order the artillery would fire at the marked vehicles. Maybe even a add-on that shows enemys within 50 meters

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X