No announcement yet.

Latice replacement, Combat flow??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [IMAGES] Latice replacement, Combat flow??

Intresting tweet from Higby. It was tweeted live during the PSU -Squad Beacon I posted earlier. You can watch that for some speculation on it.

Re: Latice replacement, Combat flow??

Holy cow. Talk about a complete 180 design change. However this is a highly critical thing to balance that particular part of the Indar map. The impact could be ground breaking!

Comment

so the grey areas will just be strategic placement of assets.. interesting to see where this goes.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Needs explanation.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't get it! Explain right now, right now!

Comment

I like this idea a lot. This makes for much more strategic play and clear-cut and obvious objectives. This way squad leaders/platoon leaders can identify objectives that they can realistically take over or defend with their current in-game membership population. I am sure there are some kinks that need to be worked out, but I think this is a step in the right direction.

Comment

I like it, it is a more accurate reflection of the battle space and resources then currently offered. Plus the current ones are all jacked up, control points are mislabeled.
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Interesting thing I'm wondering - if you're in the grey/non occupied area, will you be getting the resources from those hexes? I can see this pushing people towards those areas to fight (good) but also limiting strategic options if you only get incentives to fight in pre-destined areas (bad).

Comment

Great point! So much of our resources are not from the constant 'ticking' but the bonus resources for fighting in the area. I can only imagine such a heavy duty change has other corresponding changes to balance and flow. They had been talking about how much they'd be changing the resource system.

Comment

Remeber folks speculation! Higby dropped that during the stream, but didn't explain it. PS1 had a latice system that allowed bases to be attacked in a certain order only, with very few other choices. A lot of vets have been complaining that PS2s hex system gives to many options, and there is almost know way to establish a "front line" across the continent. This is guessed at being a "happy medium" they might try in the future. It clearly limits avenues of attack, but you will notice at Tarwich, seem to be a "Node" so to speak were you could then have other options.

Comment

Dark Age of Camelot had something very similar, where you as the attacker/defender knew where the next objective(s) was(were). Even though it was limited in this aspect, it allowed for flexibility. Ex: Defenders at the last castle before a continent was taken could intercept/ambush the reinforcements that had to RUN across the continent to get to the fight, stemming the flow to the attacking force. It gave a lot of options for where fights could happen based on geography and territorial control.

Comment

More from the devs -

Few things I wanted to add. First, it's not the PS1 lattice. PS1's lattice excluded many objectives (like dozens of towers per map) and was facility-only. This model includes all capturable locations and uses hexes for a (hopefully) more readable and intuitive map. Our goal is more predictability and readability, which is the key property the PS1 system gave that is missing. This system is a bit of a combination of PS1, current PS2, and Battlefield Rush. The operating name of the design is "Rush Lanes."

With this effort the general rule being used for connectivity is 3-4 connections per territory. By comparison, PS1's lattice had 2-3 connections per major facility, and the current PS2 system has about 5-6 connections per territory. So it's a little more open than the PS1 lattice, but significantly reduced from the current PS2 system.

For folks concerned about small squad action...history shows us that you shouldn't be all that worried. PS1's system was more restricted and small squad action thrived. Part of the reason is that predictability works both ways; if you can reliably predict where the zergs are you can also use that information to avoid them. I think it will actually help the small squads find each other so you get those small squad fights more consistently. As someone who ran a small PS1 leetfit for many years, I'm confident that this will make small squad gameplay better.

Again, all prototype and it's a work-in-progress, nothing is set in stone, so keep the feedback coming!
                        and later

The prototype we are working on does not include any resource changes. Resource revamp is on the roadmap though, currently listed in the May timeframe.

Feedback is welcome, so if you have thoughts on how best to integrate a meaningful resource system into this design feel free to share.

Comment

Did anyone notice the significantly smaller hexes?

Any input on this new strategy rule set? It'd completely remove influence and add a specific pattern to fights.

Comment

Before people get TOO excited, as I recall, the dev working on the balance changes for the metagame, including a possible lattice system, happens to be an active member of TE and feeds them information. It also appears that TE's current strategy of shoving their entire 3 platoons into one hex, followed by AOD's 2ish platoons, is currently leading to TR's general failure on Mattherson, because VS and NC just go around them. If the lattice system goes in as it appears, camping at a base with overwhelming numbers will force NC and VS to come to them, and will generally be a massive boost to the current TE strategy.
                            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                              Before people get TOO excited, as I recall, the dev working on the balance changes for the metagame, including a possible lattice system, happens to be an active member of TE and feeds them information. It also appears that TE's current strategy of shoving their entire 3 platoons into one hex, followed by AOD's 2ish platoons, is currently leading to TR's general failure on Mattherson, because VS and NC just go around them. If the lattice system goes in as it appears, camping at a base with overwhelming numbers will force NC and VS to come to them, and will generally be a massive boost to the current TE strategy.
                              Then I will take my ball and play on another continent!
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X