Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [EVENT] Best Pratices Communications Drill

Best Practices Drill

Time: 12/03/2013 Starting at 7pm TG server time (EST) and continuing throughout the evening.

This is a non-official event, requiring no sign up.

Our regular PLs and SLs have been working on improving in-game communication and establishing a set of "best practices".

I propose simply focusing on a few elements of these practices and procedures in a more conscious, collective manner this evening. I am not proposing that these procedures be implemented as SOPs (of course, some may already be so designated).

To this end I will focus attention on the following procedures (feel free to suggest other procedures or drills).

Communication

The following procedures are designed to ensure that, within the PLATOON channel, individuals:
    a) identify themselves,
    b) indicate who they are trying to reach, and
    c) wait for acknowledgement before resuming transmission.

The drill will enforce the use of the following commands and procedures:

"Clear Comms" -- issued ONLY by the PL prior to beginning any communication. The meaning of the command should be obvious -- all parties are to immediately drop communication so the PL can be heard.

"<squad call sign> copies" -- for example, "Bravo copies" -- to be given when a order has been issued to a specific squad. Here we are also working on an orderly reply when a command or series of commands is given to all squads. In this instance the squad leaders are to reply in alphabetical order: "Alpha copies", "Bravo copies", "Charlie copies".

"<squad call sign> requests comms" -- for example, "Bravo requests comms" -- to be given when a squad leader wishes to initiate communication with the PL. The PL will respond with "go" or "go Bravo".
    sigpic

Re: Best Pratices Communications Drill

Had a lot of fun today on Esamir. Thanks to Emale for PL duties. Superb showing guys!

I really enjoyed tearing up that TR Platoon on Commanders Rest from Black Ridge. Those two battles were easy highlights of the night and back to back too!

Comment

Hey Emale, sorry I joined the platoon without reading this post, so I may not have followed the SOPs as you described. I did note however, that comms was very effective. Thanks for Platoon Leading, it was a great turn out as Ytman mentioned. At least 3 full squads at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
        Had a lot of fun today on Esamir. Thanks to Emale for PL duties. Superb showing guys!

I really enjoyed tearing up that TR Platoon on Commanders Rest from Black Ridge. Those two battles were easy highlights of the night and back to back too!
        Here are these battles from the PL's point of view!

sigpic

Comment

Emale, thanks for organizing this shindig.

In my squad, we rarely had instances of folks stepping on platoon comms. The call and response procedure with the PL works well and allows for a little leeway before the SL responds, giving folks an opportunity to clear the squad comms for incoming traffic.

Some of the folks in the squad started emulating the platoon 'request comms' procedure when trying to get my ear as SL. That process worked out nicely in terms of the flow of voip traffic. Knowing who was speaking without having to take my eyes off what I was doing was a nice plus.

Overall, it was a terrific evening of play. A great mix of serious firefights with some easy caps thrown in. E-male did a great job as PL and kept us very busy. The comms from platoon were concise and the use of platoon voip was kept to a minimum. Great fun.

Comment

It was a 4.5 hour session of platoon leading for me -- I was not at my best but it went very well, judging from the feedback. I also felt it was a fairly exceptional evening. As noted, a combination of easy caps and exciting battles.

Tonight (one night later) I logged on after a nice dinner out with The Wife and started PLing with QuantumQuark and Firestorm as SLs. I noted a distinct improvement in comms as both SLs emulated the basic SOPs above. Firestorm, I think, is new to the outfit and TG and was remarkable in his effort to try to emulate the SOPs. QQ performed equally well.

I do not want to overstate the significance of our new SOPs and the drill itself, but the results do appear to be immediate and consequential.

I think it boils down to this:

If senior leaders set the tune, the rest will willingly join the dance.

It starts at the top.

The PL's primary responsibilities are to set the tone, establish expectations, and gently encourage/enforce best practices. This has a immediate impact on how others experience the game and how others aspire to fit in with the group.

People want to part of something that is cohesive, disciplined, professional, and well run.

That something has always been found here at TG.

It is, I believe, the distinctive character of the TG "brand".
            Last edited by E-Male; 03-14-2013, 12:30 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Updated version.
              Added the command Sit Rep.
              This document is a guide and does not represent TG PS2 official policy.
              Comments are requested.

TG PS2 Communications Best Practices
              ver. 0.1
              The following procedures are designed to ensure that, within the PLATOON channel, individuals:
              a) identify themselves,
              b) indicate who they are trying to reach, and
              c) wait for acknowledgement before resuming transmission.

Commonly Used Commands

Clear Comms
              Issued ONLY by the PL prior to beginning a communication. Upon hearing the command all members of the platoon are to immediately stop talking so the PL can be heard.

<Squad-call-sign> Comms
              The command <Squad-call-sign> Comms is used by squad leaders to request a conversation with the platoon leader. After issuing the request BRAVO COMMS the squad leader must then wait for the reply GO or GO BRAVO. This is to ensure that new comms do not "speak over" an already-in-progress conversation.
              For example, Bravo Comms. To be given when Bravo squad leader wishes to initiate communication with the PL. The PL will respond with "Go" or "Go Bravo".

Sit Rep
              The Situation Report

The Sit Rep command is given by the PL.

When replying keep in mind that too much information will clutter comms, too little will be useless.

When asked for a Sit Rep squad leaders should provide the PL with:
              1) Status of target (close to capture, soon to be overwhelmed by enemy ...)
              2) Estimation of number and type of enemy
              3) Direction of enemy -- where are the coming from, where are they headed.

End Draft.
              Last edited by E-Male; 03-17-2013, 08:15 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Perhaps there could be a protocol for SL-SL comms in the Platoon VoIP channel, for when they need to coordinate operations. Something like "Alpha SL to Bravo SL"?

Also, if we end up deciding to use the custom channels available in-game or TS for multi-platoon ops, we will need protocols for CO-PL-PL comms traffic. Just something to roll around in the brain pan while we hammer on this iteration of Best Practices.

By the way: Thanks for taking the lead on this endeavor, E-Male! Great work!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                  Perhaps there could be a protocol for SL-SL comms in the Platoon VoIP channel, for when they need to coordinate operations. Something like "Alpha SL to Bravo SL"?

Also, if we end up deciding to use the custom channels available in-game or TS for multi-platoon ops, we will need protocols for CO-PL-PL comms traffic. Just something to roll around in the brain pan while we hammer on this iteration of Best Practices.
                  Two great suggestions.

I want to analyze the existing pattern of SL-to-SL comms and make a Best Practice recommendation based on current best practices. I believe I have heard DaddyofThree using an effective pattern.

More on CO-PL-PL standards soon.

Keep the suggestions coming,

Thanks!
                  sigpic

Comment

I was contemplating the following theoretical in game VOIP structure:

-Tactical Gamer Custom Platoon Leader Channel-
                    Contains only Platoon Leaders

Example: Ground Platoon Leader - "Platoon 1 moving to stage around Nott Amp, Request on site AirSupport"
                    CAS 'Flight' Leader - "CAS En Route to Nott Amp, ETA one Minute."

-Tactical Gamer Platoon One/Two/Three Squad Leader Channel-
                    Contains only Squad Leaders of a specific Platoon

Example: Alpha Leader Platoon One - "Alpha to Bravo."
                    Bravo Leader Platoon One - "Go Alpha."
                    A SL P1 - "Enemy Squad has Sunderer fifty meters north of 'XYZ', we have it suppressed, are you capable of support?"
                    B SL P1 - "Keep it suppressed, we'll work on its right flank."

Then the regular 'Platoon Channel' is used for generic orders and sit reps. The reason to maintain orders through PL Channel is that Platoon Members should be able to know a general concept of the whole Platoon's operations. If they do not want to they simply can deafen that particular channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                      I was contemplating the following theoretical in game VOIP structure:

. . .
                      Thank you Ytman.

There is an ongoing conversation about communication structure and I would prefer to keep this thread narrowly focused on Communication Best Practices, which I am trying to write (at least in these early days) as structure-independent.

Once we have adopted a new communication structure I will revise the Best Practices document to reflect any changes in comm systems.

You are correct to note that we will need new common commands if a more complex communication system is adopted, but again I wish to keep this thread focused on CURRENT best practices as used within the present communication system.

Nonetheless, your points merit discussion and hopefully you will raise them again in a separate thread.
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X