This weeks Friday Event!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weeks Friday Event!

I'm not going to be available to lead this event, So I'm opening it up to volunteers to lead this weeks Friday Night Fights. Please post here.

Re: This weeks Friday Event!

I would want to push for a combined arms event. I really want to get even a small CAS squad (Platoon in game) functionally cooperating with the ground elements.

Comment

I'll second that Ytman. I think Friday night would be a great night to test Al's and I's theory on CAS. We would need two PL right off the hop. One for the ground pounders and one to spot enemies for the CAS Platoon. Unfortunatly I won't be able to PL as it is my sons birthday. Might not be able to play much.
      sigpic

Comment

Well lets not restrict such occurrences to event nights only! It only demands Three Leaders at minimum and I know we can guilt some people with doing the easy task of being a 'yes man' Squad Leader.

Comment

I think you all are getting off topic here. I'm not going to be here. I need someone to step up to lead it this Friday or its not going to happen. I glad you all have ideas about what would be cool, step up and you can try them!!!! :)

Comment

I can lead it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
              I can lead it.
              Attaboy! :)
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Can you explain what CAS means a little more?

Comment

CAS.... Close Air Support Member on the ground calls in CAS on to specific ground targets using smoke or markers to pin point enemies. This way the ground can guide the air onto targets that are priority for them.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                    I can lead it.
                    Ytman,

I tried to PM the following to you but your mailbox is full!

Ytman,

I could also step up around 8:30 or 9:00 pm (EST), relieve you of platoon command and use you in a CAS squad in a separate platoon.

This will give us an opportunity to further practice two-platoon ops.

If we do this I'll move into a separate TS channel with you (the CAS lead) to manage the flow of comms between CAS lead and PL. These comms will be minimal traffic, but should not occur in the general PS2 TS channel.

Of course, I do not mean to take the PL chair away from you if you desire to remain in it and run CAS and the platoon at the same time.

At your service,

E-Male
                    sigpic

Comment

Sorry to side track the thread but YT, get that in-box cleaned asap (as in by Friday). Any questions or comments, use the COA.

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
                        CAS.... Close Air Support Member on the ground calls in CAS on to specific ground targets using smoke or markers to pin point enemies. This way the ground can guide the air onto targets that are priority for them.
                        See. As much as I like CAS defined by this I don't think we have the exact tools for such surgical strikes in our super organic and super large battlefield. I think trying to be precision with the CAS might be asking too much as rarely will we need one specific tank dead, more like five. This isn't some asymmetrical war in Afghanistan this is total war on Auraxis. So with that in mind I'd hazard that CAS be called on site and briefed on general priority targets (Sunderers) and potential bottlenecks or amassing of dense enemy forces.

The best bet I could suggest for Ground to Air target controlling is the use of the Q button, or just constantly looking at it, as the CAS 'Flight' comes in for an attack run. Any other method is to Comms heavy and would undoubtedly lose a lot in translation.

No matter what we will have our work cut out for us as the TR are showing a significant interest in locking both Esamir + Amerish now that they have the Canyon warp gate.

I'll work with my inbox tonight when breaking from studies

Comment

I do not think that we currently have the in-game tools for indicating targets with fine detail, beyond Q-spotting.

As PL I need my smoke for other issues, and smoke does not regenerate fast. Even if we did agree to use smoke it would be used up after calling 4 targets.

Having said that, I will reserve one colour (which is the most visible?) and keep that in reserve for CAS target designation.

Another problem is that targets are often fast moving and smoke is fixed.

CAS may have to work relatively independently, with the PL designating a general zone of engagement.

But most of all we will simply have to try different techniques and see what works best.
                          sigpic

Comment

Guys Al and I have been discussing this and I think we have a basic method we can use. We run a second Platoon (Air Only) with the Platoon leader as the spotter. This way the platoon marker can be use to spot enemies. If you have a person on the ground at a fairly safe distance and their only objective is to spot targets for air it will work.
                            When this person has other tasks to preform then it becomes a problem. Also the biggest problem I forsee is transport for the platoon leader. I guess he or she will need to be able to fly a reaver adequately enough to get from point to point.

Todd
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm looking forward to a fun event....
                              |TG-88th| DaddyOfThree

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement