Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

!! "/voice join tacticalgamer" !! Must read, how to use the custom voip channel !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] !! "/voice join tacticalgamer" !! Must read, how to use the custom voip channel !!

Hi Guys.

I think it was Coiledtortoise that told me this info, but since it is not on the forums yet it is high time I post this.

For the last days we have been quite succesfully experimenting with using a custom, self-created voice channel for SL-to-SL communications, one could use it for any other use one might want; for example coordinating with a different outfit.

So to create AND to join a custom voip channel, you simple type in chat without the quotation marks:

"/voice join nameofchannel"

I propose as SOP that we make our default channel "tacticalgamer" so that becomes:

"/voice join tacticalgamer"

Then access the channel by pressing [numpad_6] as the default button.

This feature is not properly implemented in the game. It is in the engine but it has no UI support. I'm guessing they might add that when they have the time. I don't think it is possible to adjust it's volume in-game (though I haven't looked rly).

But! I have in the useroptions.ini in your ps2folder, it says

[VoiceChat]
    EchoEnabled=1
    EchoVolume=0.500000
    ProximityEnabled=1
    ProximityVolume=0.500000
    FactionEnabled=1
    FactionVolume=0.500000
    GroupEnabled=1
    GroupVolume=0.500000
    GroupLeaderEnabled=1
    GroupLeaderVolume=0.000000
    RaidEnabled=1
    RaidVolume=0.500000
    GuildEnabled=1
    GuildVolume=0.500000
    CustomEnabled=1
    CustomVolume=0.500000
    InputDevice=Default System Device
    OutputDevice=Default System Device
    So as you can see you may edit the "customvolume" variable here, which I'm guessing is the custom channel volume.

I'm pretty stoked about this. There are so many things we can do now with this. We can even use multiple channels, e.g. you could have an infiltrator with you directly talking to CAS, you could run a very tight infantry platoon with 6 squads all SL in one channel.

So time to brainstorm how we can use this!

For now we've only used it as SL channel, to minimize voip, and to have strategy discussions in the officer's mess :p.

Another use I'd really like to test, is running a tight platoon with the normal voip options, like I do with infantry; having them all closely together so that platoonvoip is pretty effective. And then integrating it with another platoon as if it was just one squad. The main platoon could then run armor, sundies, air, but would have the luxury of worrying mostly about positioning and survival, while the integrated inf platoon does the dirty work boots on the ground.
    Last edited by P.Drona; 03-15-2013, 06:04 PM. Reason: Fixed title to reflect correction - /voice

Re: !! "/voip join tacticalgamer" !! Must read, how to use the custom voip channel !!

Al, that's an interesting find for sure.

Comment

Re: !! "/voip join tacticalgamer" !! Must read, how to use the custom voip channel !!

This functioned wonderfully last night. As Al mentioned, it also gives a way for other elements (like a separate CAS platoon) to liaise with the squad leaders without using outfit chat or Teamspeak.

Did a little digging:

Voice channels have optional passwords: "/voice channelname channelpass"
      (might be useful to keep out riff-raff)
      Voice channels are not cross-faction (no worries about spies)
      You currently cannot leave the channel or join another until you re-log, so be careful typing it in.

I think my favorite thing about this is that I can turn up the custom channel volume, so that even if there's a bunch of pubs yelling in platoon chat, I can still hear my leaders loud and clear. Ducking when the custom channel is in use would be better, but if wishes were fishes, I'd soon be sick of fish.
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Al, I don't know if you can edit your post but the command is NOT "/Voip" but "/Voice".

Comment

So is there a separate step to creating a channel? Or if the channel doesn't exist yet, does that command create it? Like if I typed /voice join supercoolppl -- would that create the channel?

And can you currently change it from numpad 6?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
            So is there a separate step to creating a channel? Or if the channel doesn't exist yet, does that command create it? Like if I typed /voice join supercoolppl -- would that create the channel?
            Yes, that creates (and joins) the channel if it doesn't already exist.

And can you currently change it from numpad 6?
            Yes, in your general key bindings it's called something like "User Custom Channel".

FYI, none of this is officially supported by SOE, so it's just as likely to stop working as it is to work. Your mileage may vary. We've had sporadic issues with volume, as well as the UI not showing who is speaking in the custom channel.

Comment

As long as this is working I would like to use it for Command level chat. All SL's and PL should be in it. Reserve PL chat for overall plan and platoon wide threats.

Squad Chat: Examples

Bravo SL: "Platoon Lead wants us to attack the east side of <insert objective name>, this is how we are going to do it."
              Bravo SM: "Infantry Contact heading towards our objective from the NE."

PLatoon Chat: Examples
              PL: "Be advised, armor column coming in from the SW, estimate 10+ contacts."
              PL: "Fall back to Rally point, marked by Platoon Waypoint."

Custom Chat: Examples
              PL: "Bravo, pull off your objective and engage the Armor moving in from the SW."
              Bravo SL: "Negative PL, currently engaged with infantry on objective, please advise?"
              PL: "Charlie, relieve Bravo and cover their engagement of the armor. Bravo, move towards the armor while Charlie sweeps your objective."
              Bravo and Charlie: "Copy"

Not everyone needs to hear a SL disobey an order, there may be a need to do so, that the PL is not seeing from his location. This allowed the SL to advise the PL that his plan was flawed, and allowed the PL to come up with a solution without half the platoon either rushing to do what Bravo was supposed to do or, talk over the CoC giving their own two cents.
              sigpic

Comment

Re: !! &quot;/voip join tacticalgamer&quot; !! Must read, how to use the custom voip channel !!

Originally posted by CoiledTortoise View Post
                Al, I don't know if you can edit your post but the command is NOT "/Voip" but "/Voice".
                done :p

Comment

Re: !! &quot;/voice join tacticalgamer&quot; !! Must read, how to use the custom voip channel !

What happens if you're in one channel then join another?

Comment

Re: !! &quot;/voice join tacticalgamer&quot; !! Must read, how to use the custom voip channel !

What happens if you're in one channel then join another?
                    Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                    You currently cannot leave the channel or join another until you re-log, so be careful typing it in.
                    This is probably the biggest issue with custom channels right now.
                    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Using our TeamSpeak server solves most of these issues. It is much more reliable than in-game voip, we can create our own temporary sub-channels if you want to do fireteams or CAS crew voip, it increases the TS usage as site admins want, and has some other benefits.

Lately, I have seen people using TS for command comms along with E-Male's communication format. It seems to be quite successful and more people should start trying it. Performance, flexibility, and teamwork? What's not to like?
                      Viking

Comment

The only thing I don't like about TeamSpeak is that you can't see who is talking (and on what channel) as well as you can integrated into PS2. And I really wish SOE would get it working so that you could see who, and what channel, is talking when looking at the map!

Comment

Originally posted by shatteredhourglass View Post
                          The only thing I don't like about TeamSpeak is that you can't see who is talking (and on what channel) as well as you can integrated into PS2. And I really wish SOE would get it working so that you could see who, and what channel, is talking when looking at the map!
                          A good point, but the same holds true for in-game VOIP under certain circumstances.

When platoon leading I spend 90% of my time looking at the map, which covers up the name feature of VOIP, thus obscuring the speaker's ID.

This is one of the reasons why we are developing comms SOPs that require ALL communications from squad leaders to the PL to include an ID, such as "Charlie comms".

BigGaayAl uses a method when in TS that adds more information "Charlie comms in teamspeak" (you can hear this SOP used in the video below at 3:50).

Given that squad leaders should ALWAYS identify themselves when speaking to the PL, the problem with TS is somewhat mitigated.

Indeed, thus far it seems to me the the integration of TS in PS2 has been very successful.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                            A good point, but the same holds true for in-game VOIP under certain circumstances.

When platoon leading I spend 90% of my time looking at the map, which covers up the name feature of VOIP, thus obscuring the speaker's ID.

This is one of the reasons why we are developing comms SOPs that require ALL communications from squad leaders to the PL to include an ID, such as "Charlie comms".

BigGaayAl uses a method when in TS that adds more information "Charlie comms in teamspeak" (you can hear this SOP used in the video below at 3:50).

Given that squad leaders should ALWAYS identify themselves when speaking to the PL, the problem with TS is somewhat mitigated.

Indeed, thus far it seems to me the the integration of TS in PS2 has been very successful.
                            Note my mention of the issue with the map and comms. I hate it, haha. I really like to put a name with the voice. I think it is an issue with a common compulsive disorder. Also, I have had a few issues with VoIP, so seeing the keying of the mic is helpful. Calling out the channel you are on is very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by shatteredhourglass View Post
                              There's TeamSpeak overlay. It was working really well for a while, but with the most recent TS update, it seems to work, but not as well. So it's kind of back and forth with it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X