Fireteam Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [EVENT] Fireteam Training

The following is an informal event, no sign up is necessary.

Fireteam Training (Infantry)

I will be applying the FIRETEAM concept to the PS2 environment and will run some ad-hoc and planned training events over the following months.

To this end I will begin this evening (02/04/2013) around 8:30 pm (EST) by forming a TG Fireteam Training Squad. The training squad will operate within an existing TG platoon and the training will take place in the usual course of events as we engage the enemy.

The Fireteam operations and training will not require any modification in the existing communication structure (vis a vis TS or Custom channel).

I will notify the PL of my intention and clear it with him at the time, so as to not interfere with normal platoon operations.

For those interested in participating, the squad will be divided into Alpha and Bravo fireteams.

Each fireteam will have a fireteam leader (FL), designated Bravo1 and Alpha1.

I will run the fireteams through various drills in a live fire environment.

The goal of the training session will be to communicate the basics of fireteam communication and cohesion while attempting to achieve objectives as set by the platoon leader in the ongoing course of live-fire engagements.

If you are interested in participating please indicate herein. No commitment is necessary.
    sigpic

Re: Fireteam Training

Training never hurts anyone, I'm in.
    Might be able to grab a good bit of footage.

Comment

I ran two fireteam training squads last night.

The first was modestly successful. It made me aware that I need much more practice in running fireteams.

The second iteration involved using just one fireteam, appointing TG Randy as my FTL (Alpha1). I will almost always use this single fireteam mode or 2 fireteams from now on.

More on fireteams and Ps2 later.
      sigpic

Comment

I have archived the video footage from the first Fireteam Training session for later analysis. I find rewatching (listening, really) myself make mistakes to be useful as a training exercise.

Here are the notes I took later in the evening of the first training session.

A visualization of the flow of communication across three typical group (unit) structures found in FPS military games: (1) the "normal" squad; (2) what I call the "simplest situation" (SL, FTL, and one fireteam); and (3) the group structure I am focusing my current training on, what I call "Complex Flexibility".

sigpic

Comment

I'd love to see where this leads.

I know informally helping out the SL with some duty or another has been mentioned before. I copied it a little, and sometimes pester the squad to stick close together, repeat orders, or make suggestions. Of course, limited suggestions can be reasonable for squad members in-general (I try to gauge off current chatter and how preoccupied the leader seems). However, I occasionally find myself repeatedly suggesting say, more of a particular class a moment after the SL gives out an objective. Whatever I say usually then gets confirmed or denied by the SL as an actual order.

I hope I've not come across as backseat squad leading in those circumstances. Squad leaders have a lot to do in PlanetSide and I think it could be very beneficial to share out the responsibilities more officially. Indeed, it'd lighten the burden and may encourage more squad leaders.

One suggestion - it could easily become very confusing for the fireteams to be called Alpha and Bravo. Perhaps Team 1 and Team 2, or jump to Echo and Foxtrot?

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

I'm going to start breaking squads into 4 3-man teams: Team Prime, Team Omega Deuce, Team Murderface, and Blackguard Firehawk Brigade.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

I am not certain if the fire team nomenclature is entirely standardized (not terribly important here anyway) but I will stick to Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and so on.

I am developing a methodology and training myself to always use a FTL for my squad, designating my fire team leader (FTL) as Alpha One.

Once I have enough squad members I will designate a second FTL, Bravo One, and assign men to Bravo.

Squad numbers tend to change so occasionally Bravo will be reabsorbed into Alpha when squad membership is too low.

My general goal will be to use Alpha and Bravo to support each other on a single target or assign separate targets to each fire team.

Why am I doing this?

I find that a squad's collective strength is too often diluted by normal gamestyle which sees individual squad members widely dispersed on an objective. Fire teams will move as one, always in sight of each other, always close to each other. The effect will be greater combined firepower on any single target.

In practice, this is quite difficult to do in the chaos of a battle.

When it works, it is beautiful to behold.
              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X