VR Air Operations practice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [EVENT] VR Air Operations practice

A couple people have asked about maybe doing some air ops practice. I think this is a good idea and am willing to organize an informal get together some time in VR (Virtual Reality). I think some of the things we could practice would be:

-Gal flying
    -practicing quick, precise Gal insertions on tower pads and other spots
    -Gal gunning, communication between pilot and gunners and movement

I would love to also organize an event for Reaver pilot training, but I don't know anything about that, as so far I have only been practicing and flying in my Gal. Anyone who is good in a Reaver and would like to step up, I could certainly use a hand in developing our air corps within TG. I dunno if that ends up being two separate events or what, let's see how many people are interested I guess.

I just wanted to gauge interest, anyone who would like to participate please post up here, what you would like to work on and what time(s) you might be available and we can start trying to nail down a time. I know Xen had try to organize some flight training on Sunday afternoons but he said no one ever showed up. Sunday afternoons would work for me, but you guys let me know what you think.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: VR Air Operations practice

I'd be interested in the gal training. I'm available almost every night after 8pm central time. Much like a quarterback and reciever have to work on their timing, I'd really like to work on getting better at loading, and dropping.

In my opinion once we're good enough, a full squad should be able to be fast enough in loading a galaxy, that the pilot doesn't really have to come to a full stop, as so much just kiss the ground and we're back off.

Comment

I would love some practice with flying as a team. I have been spending some time in VR flying a reaver. I have been flying to the west of he base, shooting up some baddies, then flying back for a quick touchdown on the pad for reload. It is a good little practice, especially when there are other in the air for whom you must watch. I really with they would make some enemy planes fly around in an area. Even if their flight path might be predictable, it would be good practice for missile locks and the like. And, practicing with quick, precision drops and extractions would be great. A team that could swoop in and drop and pickup without stopping would be excellent!

Comment

I am available today, Sunday 4/14, most any time from now (9:45 AM EST) until this evening. Anyone interested in doing this, please reach me via PM if you see I am around the forums, or in TG TeamSpeak, or in game (in game name TGRandyShughartClwFL).
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Great idea Randy. I'd love to get some more air squads going.

I wouldn't mind having a go at training Reaver pilots, although I don't have anything planned, so it would be more informal too. It would have to start with basics - any suggestions for things to focus on or practice methods would be more than welcome. Answering questions and giving tips are easy enough.

Also, while I'm proficient, I don't claim to be top dog on the server, or in TG, and I know we have other, regular pilots. It'd be great to get multiple inputs, certainly past the basics as pilots can have varying approaches and distinctive play styles. So let me know if anyone else wants to help out.

Finally, if anyone feels they have the basics down and have a good timer reduction on their Reaver, feel free to hit me up in-game anytime. We could fly as a pair; people have tailed me before, but I think that would work better if I'm free to explain what I'm doing without spamming VOIP for others.

Alternatively, I have a VS character on Matherson with good unlocks so we can dogfight. I've had a few planned air duals so far and it's been fun every time.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Thanks Jengles, I was hoping you or one of the other experienced Reaver pilots would step up, as at the present time I am out of my depth in that area.

I also love the dogfighting idea. Perhaps we could form up a basic Reaver class in VR to get everybody flying, attacking stationary targets and some things, and then get them in game and you can play REDFOR over a remote, uncontested area of the map. We will have to watch out for allied blueberries shooting at you though. lol

I wish we could pull enemy vehicles in VR, that could make for some very awesome training. But too many pubbies in there might ruin it. What would be the best of all scenarios is if SOE would publish some server softwhere so that we could run our own instance here at TG, that way we could control admittance like the old TGU classes. Well, one can wish...

In the meantime we can try and get something together, guys keep posting your interests and what time(s) you are available so we can try to set a date. Personally, I am available most evenings and all day and into the evenings (EST) on weekends. What do you guys think about a Sunday afternoon / evening class?

Comment

Hey guys it's ndeep, I have really been enjoying the flight ops. Do to the fact that I have a lot of time on my hands right now; since we have been doing these flight ops I have started to put a lot of time in VR training learning how to fly my reaver. I have the basics down pat and I am currently working on the more advanced maneuvers. That's not to say I still don't make some bone head mistakes! Seriously though, I can research all the videos and practice in VR Training all I want but nothing beats getting the squad together and running these practices in game because we all know every thing changes in battle. For me personally the one thing I struggle with is getting familiar with the map and keeping up with everyone's position, especially when there are multiple craft in the air. So I don't know if it's even feasible or not but maybe getting together and practicing flight plans and proper flight formations. I don't know just a thought. I personally am going to try and learn the map a little better. I am always open to criticism and suggestions so any really good reaver pilots in the squad want to show a rookie how it's done, I am willing to take notes. I will definitely try and join you guys every time you all take to the air.

Comment

Randy, my Gal is always available for training. I think I do a pretty good job providing air to ground and air to air cover. My biggest issue is not forgetting the terrain around me as I am flying. I would be down for a Sunday evening class.
                sigpic

Comment

MrJengles and I spent about an hour or two last night at the end of our gaming session chatting with Cyntech from AACE, who happened to be playing in our air squad last night. For those who are not aware, AACE are the flying Outfit in our server, I have heard that they have some pretty good pilots over there and they know what they are doing. Anyway, he was telling us how they organize their Reaver flights with a flight leader, wingmen, etc. There is also some good info on their forums apparently about applying dogfighting tactics in game. I am going to start running with them occasionally and see what I can learn. There was also some discussion of combining operations one evening. More to follow...

Comment

Randy I was attending that session with you that night when of course someone tried to capped the base we were at and I left to address that situation. From a tactial consideration the squad beacons can be used twofold.........1 to highlight the objective for transport and provide spawn points, 2 to provide rally points for the boots after the cap with the the SL saying on squad comm, "lift off on beacon in 5" while reporting to Delta the intent to lift off. Not only would the beacon provide a rallying point but anyone in spawn process could then be at the EP (extraction Point) when the Gal was there allowing fast deploy and extraction. Same situation if the base was loss. The squads should move as a unit, if they aren't at the EP at the time indicated then they are left and can respawn at the new beacon objective LZ.

Unless your landing hot there will be a point of greatest resistance (Air support usually takes a few minutes to initiate) which means the greates initial threat to the Gal is the CAS, boots, and/or armor. The Reav's should be facing the greatest defined resistance, be it base, ground troops, armor division or whatever while the troops are being deployed with of course procedural instructions "NOT TO FIRE" unless engaged and/or the enemy enters the defensive bubble, once engaged then it must be the assumption that the enemy is as well defined as we are and the Reav's while not leaving post prepare for incoming air targets.

Objective shouldn't be spaced to the point where capped objectives are being contested before moving the next objective, if 2 Gal are deployed with one on a soft target and another on a hard then 1 Reav on the soft should be able to peel off baby sitting to assist the hot LZ. Which means proximity of objectives is a cornerstone in strategic air support and life of the Gal's.

Just some thoughts...........As stated in another post, I'd be interested to be involved in air training in both Gal and Reaver, I work casual here in Canada which mean that I can pretty much dictate the times I work, that being said I usually book my time a month in advance. So this coming 2 Sunday I'm booked for work followed by 2 Sundays I'm not, followed by 2 Sundays I am........after which time I can always be available. I apologize if this isn't the place to post the ideas, I'm new to the forum and TG and still learning my way around. For the next 4 days for 8 hours a day I'll be in a Reaver learning the ins and outs of it.

Comment

Rage,

Thanks for your thoughts re: airborne insertions. There is a Strategy & Tactics section, within you will find a Guide to Airborne Infantry ops that I wrote. If you are looking to discuss those tactics, that might be the best place. :)

And as for spending that much time in a Reaver, I think that is great. We certainly always can use more Reaver pilots!

I guess what I would tell everybody, spend some time in VR until you feel comfortable with basic flying and doing runs killing those enemies on the ground. Then we can try to set up a session with MrJengles about slightly more advanced tactics, flying in formation, dogfighting, etc.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X