Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday night fights disscussion.

Hi Guys

Just a few thoughts on our friday night fights and how maybe to make them bigger and better.

1: Start out by making 4 squads so the Platoon is ready with 4 SL.

2: Everyone starts in Alpha until we are over 10 people and show in the list.

3: Then the PL moves people to Bravo as they join Alpha. Then he fills the other squads in order. (I do this already and I saw Al do it last night. It works!)

4: Make sure if we fill a Platoon we start another right away so we can continue to grow. I think we sometimes wait to long to do this and it hurts our chances of filling up.

5: Air forums their own Platoon so we can have a full infantry Platoon. PL's are the only people needed to have Teamspeak running so they can coordinate Air strikes.
    (With our people using the SOP for Comms so good now there shouldn't be too much crosstalk.)

Thoughts?

Todd
    sigpic

Re: Friday night fights disscussion.

I agree 100% with forming second platoon as air, in fact I was just about to post same. I almost did it last night. We are at the point of running a full platoon of infantry every single night now. With my efforts trying to organize an air corps, some nights we also have more pilots than we can fit in one squad, especially when you start to add Libs (with their 2-3 operators per aircraft).

I think that separating the army from the air force is a nice, natural division that will also allow us to run 4 full infantry squads and therefore be more effective on the ground. In fact, if we have enough leadership present, I think we can start running a second infantry platoon soon (at least on Fridays maybe). The 2 infantry PLs and the air PL would just need to be in TS together, perhaps in their own command channel (so as not to be in the ears of everyone who is just idling in TS). I also have a few concerns before we start running multi platoon ops.

I have noticed that we are slacking on some details and I don't want to see things get too loose and fall apart as we continue to grow. Just small things like people not following a consistent naming convention when titling their recruiting message. And not exactly following correct comms procedures. I would encourage all of our newest members (and especially those who have been stepping up as new SL/PLs, thank you btw!) to familiarize themselves with our Planetside 2 - Official Rules, Announcements & SOPs. Let's keep things nice and tight, gentlemen.

Also, SLs, make sure to muster up your squad periodically and make sure everyone is accounted for. If I come into a squad that appears to be very disorganized, not together, and not listening the first thing I will do is have everyone stop what they are doing and come to my position. I even take the time to do this if we are in the middle of combat, because if we are not functioning together as an effective squad then we are really not helping out the battle anyway. So, if you have guys that are absolutely not listening, don't be afraid to ask the PL to remove them from our platoon. If they are constantly off on their own they are not helping out anyway. We have a full platoon every night, open that spot up for someone who is a team player and will contribute. Just don't be too heavy handed, sometimes people are AFK, give them a couple chances before you boot them. Sometimes also, believe it or not, some people have their voice comms off or muted. Try to also reach them in text chat and have them turn on their voice options so they can at least hear you as SL. I always tell my squads, you don't have to have a mic (many don't) but you DO have to be able to hear me in squad so you know what we are doing and can follow along as a productive squadmate.

I also agree that our platoon(s) could sometimes be better managed from a recruiting standpoint. As Todd points out, when you PL, keep the squads around 10/12 so that they show up in the top of the list. When Alpha gets to around 10 guys, start Bravo, etc. I think we have been doing this pretty well but it seems to stop when we have one full platoon. If we have enough regular TG types available to do so without getting spread too thin, let's plan this Friday to go ahead and start that second infantry platoon. I think I will begin the evening by creating a separate air platoon right off the bat and we can go from there.

Should be a lot of fun, looking forward to it!
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

One thing to keep in mind when putting air in a second platoon is that the air guys have no way of telling exactly where the friendly outfit squads are. Since the battle field updates so fast, by the time air would get to where the groundpounders are they would be gone. This is the experience we had when we tried this on Esamir about a month ago. Having an air squad in an infantry platoon is better in my opinion for this reason. Maybe have an air squad attached to each platoon if we get that many people who want to fly. I think it would be a burden on the Company Commander to have to constantly update an airsquad on outfit squad locations, enemy targets, and hostile counters.

If there is just one airsquad for each platoon then the Company commander can direct the platoon leaders, and air needs can be allocated along that chain. I know when I took over communicating with the air platoon on that night it was hard to keep them updated, and they were pretty much neglected by the PL the whole night.

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

I know when I took over communicating with the air platoon on that night it was hard to keep them updated, and they were pretty much neglected by the PL the whole night.
        Ah yes I remember I was in the Air platoon that night. Your right it was hard to keep all on the same targets. hhhhmmmm putting my thinking cap back on.
        sigpic

Comment

Another option might be to have an Air commander in the infantry platoon so that he knows where the friendly squads are operating. He would get real time updates and then relay them to the air platoon leader. He would also fly with the air platoon. The air platoon leader can then set markers based on the air commanders input.

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

Another way to do it is not have CAS per se but a general Air element over the Infanties objective. Have the Air in a seperate Platoon and just give them the infantries next objective then the Air can attack as they see fit. If I'm platoon leading I think I could manage this, So others should have no problems at all :-)
            sigpic

Comment

I have just posted a Close Air Support (CAS) Guide for INFANTRY Squad and Platoon Leaders (WIP) which touches on coordination between multiple platoons. I haven't had experience yet with this, but sounds like you guys have. So perhaps we could continue this discussion over there? I will quote the appropriate posts here and paste them in that other thread.
              Last edited by P.Drona; 04-16-2013, 04:53 PM. Reason: Linked thread moved. Link updated.
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I had been speaking to some of the AACE guys about possibly doing combined ops. I finally got in touch with TheGeekDiver tonight who is one of their leaders and after chatting about air ops and a bunch of things, it turns out that their next regular op night is this Friday and they have an opening in their schedule. They would be happy to coordinate with us and I also thought it would be a lot of fun for our guys to do a combined op with them as they are almost exclusively a flying group but we are so good on the ground. What do you guys think?

Who is AACE? Only some of the best pilots in our server...

Here is a little something for those who haven't heard of them: :)

Comment

Well, the idea of combined ops has been green-lighted by the higher ups. :) Is no one else excited about this? I think it sounds like a good time for this Friday. I think I am going to set it up with AACE if no one else objects? I would allow more time for discussion, but tomorrow is Friday already, so I would at least like to let them know this evening...

Comment

I have gotten a hold of TheGeekDiver (AACE Leader) and he has confirmed that they will be there tonight. :) This should be a lot of fun.

I have just PMed him back (on their forums) about possibly all of us (NCOs and regular SL/PLs) and some of their leadership meeting up in our TeamSpeak server beforehand in order to make introductions and go over a few things. I was thinking some time prior to the start of our official Friday Night Fights event at 8 PM EST.

But can they gain access to our TS server without having to register on our forums? Otherwise, I know they use Mumble for their Outfit comms. Or, perhaps we could meet in some channel in NCC TS (I have the password to that)?

Comment

If I remember correctly, any new users on our TS server will only have access to the Default channel. In order to access any of the other channels, they will have to be registered on the forums, as well as entering their TS GUID.

sigpic

Comment

Yes, soon after my post I looked into it and realized same. Currently have another PM back to TheGeekDiver suggesting other comms options. I am hoping to get this all sorted out by prime time this evening. If so, should be fun. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X