Flashes: GET RADAR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashes: GET RADAR

I have lately seen several players with the max range (100m) radars on their Flash. I think it was Finestyle (or Hanabelle, sorry but I always mix you two Brits up, lol) who I rolled with one night and he brought it along and parked it usually in a building in the center of a small base. The 100m radius meant that it covered the entire small base. It was so easy to find the enemy it almost felt like we were cheating. Since then, I have noticed that Mordona, BoozeCruize and some others also have it. I got mine up to max level the other night and used it to devastating effect defending the Amp station in the first hour of an alert last night.

We were getting very organized, simultaneous attacks on both the horizontal and vertical shield generators (6+ red dots at each location), as well as lots of contacts (squads on both sides, more than a platoon in total) and multiple Sunderers at both gates from BWC. We were defending with maybe a platoon total, mostly our few squads plus some non TG blueberries for maybe a platoon total of friendlies. All I did was move my Flash so as to cover one part of the base and give it some time and all the TG guys as well as blueberries would clear out the area of red dots. Then I worked my way around the base in a circle, and we just moved around and cleared them out. It was amazing how well it worked.

Therefore i implore you to upgrade your Flash radars, and bring them along with our forces all of the time almost as SOP. It is just such an advantage it is ridiculous.

I was talking to Al about this the other night, and he said it is not likely to be nerfed by SOE either, because it is a more subtle thing that most people probably will not complain about. And I agree with that assessment.

So, guise, GET THOSE FLASH RADARS UPGRADED! And, USE THEM, ALL THE TIME! :)
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: Flashes: GET RADAR

Flash radar shows infantry? Sounds like the ol' 2142 IDS. So much for laying low in a corner somewhere....

Comment

Yes, the flipside of this is ALWAYS KILL ENEMY FLASHES!

That tiny, almost-not-worth-the-bullets thing could be crippling your team.
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Yes, thanks for pointing that out Strait. I used to just pass by enemy Flashes all the time, I figured it was one invisible weirdo in tights trying to ghost cap a base and just used it to get there quickly. Not even worth the time or bullets as you say. But not anymore, now I make sure to always kill them on sight. Others should do the same.
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
          Flash radar shows infantry? Sounds like the ol' 2142 IDS. So much for laying low in a corner somewhere....
          It works EXACTLY like that...even looks the same on minimap
          we just cant sneakily hide it in a corner anymore :p
          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
            Combo of the IDS and VDS. You can pick up anything. All it takes is one rocket to kill them too, that's why I kill them on sight.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
              It works EXACTLY like that...even looks the same on minimap
              we just cant sneakily hide it in a corner anymore :p
              And you also can't flip this one to your side. :D
              Proud to have been an Irregular!

2142: Medic4Hire - BF4/Origin: MedicNL

Comment

Yeah, it works just like a portable IDS.

Also to note, Proximity radar does NOT work like scout radar. Prox is what everything else but the Reaver uses. It only works for people inside that vehicle.

If you see a flash with a radar on it and not killing anything, SIT IN THE RUMBLE SEAT for 2 seconds and reset the 5 minute despawn timer. Sometimes use drivers forget to reset it until its to late on prolonged engagements.

Even if you don't want to dump 500 certs into the 100m rage, the 75m is still very powerful and should be considered a medium priority to unlock.

Infiltrators that cloak WILL drop off the radar. Vehicles with stealth still don't show up until you spot it.

The radar updates about every 2-3 seconds. Q spots are still more effective for pointing out directional awareness of enemy contact
                The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
                mutual respect for your fellow gamers
                and where all members
                would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
                Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Comment

Here's a nice little guide about the Scout and Proximity radars.

http://honeybadgers.guildlaunch.com/....php?t=9220413
                  Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

I like the suggestion of everyone helping to reset scout rader flashes. That would be very useful if people picked up the habit.

In an equal fight, having the scout radar WILL decide the battle.

People should also take time to see how the scout radar model looks on the flash. This way you can identify if an enemy flash needs to be taken out. That may leave you time for more pressing matters, or may allow you not to reveal your position by the noise of destroying the flash, a dilemma I have faced several times.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroCat View Post

Thanks, Honeybadgers, for the tips! lol Actually, anyone recognize the name of the OP? That's right, our friend Kroova (remember from the Bio Lab the other night?). :)

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                      I like the suggestion of everyone helping to reset scout rader flashes. That would be very useful if people picked up the habit.

In an equal fight, having the scout radar WILL decide the battle.
                      +100

Remember, the de-spawn is only 5 minutes. That is not a very long time. And it only takes a second to jump in. Totally true about deciding the battle also, I have seen it several times now. Even in an unequal battle (they outnumber us) possibly.

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                      People should also take time to see how the scout radar model looks on the flash. This way you can identify if an enemy flash needs to be taken out. That may leave you time for more pressing matters, or may allow you not to reveal your position by the noise of destroying the flash, a dilemma I have faced several times.
                      I see great minds think alike... I just took this screencap last night, expressly for the purpose of posting here for identification. :) The scout radar is the small dish circled in red. Now you know which enemy Flashes you need to make noise / expend bullets on.

Comment

While not nearly as accessible and cheap as the Flash's radar, the Reaver radar can work wonders. In big Amp station defenses, I've seen pilots with that upgrade just park in the main amp station hanger behind the shields, and the range on that thing is big enough that the ENTIRE amp station is covered, giving us an enormous tactical advantage (as well as possibly making a few people crap their pants when they saw the tide of red dots on the walls). Given those results, I'd happily recommend bringing in a scout Reaver for large base defenses. Bio Labs might be tough (though that one AACE guy showed that it's entirely doable, the crazy bastard!) but the amp stations and tech plants both have shielded hangers you could sneak an ESF into.

Conversely, it might be a good idea to scout large bases prior to attacking to see whether the enemy is trying something like this. If so, a gate diffuser harasser and some C4 might be a great way to put a stop to it. They're unlikely to try the tricky process of sneaking an ESF into that kind of cramped space once the fighting has started.

Comment

Using the flash radar on the outside of a tech plant (you know the ones with the shields on them) will show you how many enemy are guarding the gens and how many are in the towers. If we could get several surrounding the base, then you'd have a pretty good bird's eye on the perimeter and how the enemy is fortifying for the attack. Once the shields are down then move the flashes inside the walls to see where the concentration of enemy is while they are guarding the SCU.

Since the flash radar last longer than the recon darts for the infil and reaches out further, I've been parking it in a inconspicuous place using it to tell me if there is any enemy looking for my location, while taking head shots, as well as letting the friendlies see them to help keep them off my back.

Comment

Good idea Randy, thanks for the pic.

Originally posted by Mordona View Post
                            Yeah, it works just like a portable IDS.

Also to note, Proximity radar does NOT work like scout radar. Prox is what everything else but the Reaver uses. It only works for people inside that vehicle.

If you see a flash with a radar on it and not killing anything, SIT IN THE RUMBLE SEAT for 2 seconds and reset the 5 minute despawn timer. Sometimes use drivers forget to reset it until its to late on prolonged engagements.

Even if you don't want to dump 500 certs into the 100m rage, the 75m is still very powerful and should be considered a medium priority to unlock.

Infiltrators that cloak WILL drop off the radar. Vehicles with stealth still don't show up until you spot it.

The radar updates about every 2-3 seconds. Q spots are still more effective for pointing out directional awareness of enemy contact
                            Originally posted by AstroCat View Post

All very useful information. As the linked post mentions near the bottom, don't forget stealth for the flash as well! So it's not as easy to find.

Actually, considering we may get multiple people employing the Flash radar now, I'm wondering about spending my certs on the Reaver's radar first (after some other things). It has twice the radius and I could put it behind Tech Plant and Amp Station shields or otherwise try to hide it occasionally. Ah, if only they didn't put trees in the way for the Bio Lab...

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Seems my radar flash is taking off.

Now you know part of the reason I get so many kills :P

It's definitely a force equaliser when you are out numbered.

Also, it trained me to be more aware of my mini map at all times regardless of the presence of a radar, something that is easy to neglect but can greatly enhance your situational awareness when you give it the due attention on a regular basis.

Did you know?: enemies highlighted by radar are shown as a circle; enemies that are spotted show as an arrow (pointing in the direction they are looking), manually spotting a radar detected target will change the symbol from circle to arrow.

A large part of being successful at infantry combat in PS2 is using everything available to your advantage. Visual things are great but sound is also a big part of this, every time you spot someone you risk giving your own position away via audio cues and depending on how much or how little action is going on around you those audio cues can travel some distance, which in turn gives away your advantage or element of surprise on your target.
                              A lot of people have the habit of spotting someone right before they engage them, the reason being so that if they loose the engagement the rest of the team knows the OpFor location. Although this is done with good merit, this habit is one of the main reasons that I will win an engagement with someone who otherwise would have had the jump on me. As soon as I hear that audio cue from being spotted I'm facing the direction it came from. No more advantage Mr OpFor! I'm not saying don't spot targets, just be a little more conservative of how and when you choose to do so.

Bottom line, if you don't have radar up, listen for the enemy audio cues, it's pretty easy to distinguish the different factions voices. little things like this will increase your effectiveness once you train yourself to listen as well as you look.
                              It matters not what letters or numbers come before my name, I'll always be 1stMIP.

sigpic

"It is all about being a teamplayer. Give a kitchen sink to a teamplayer and he'll find a way to support his squad with it."
                              - John_CANavar (Marshall & Founder of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X