Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request feedback regarding my squad leading.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ANNOUNCEMENT] Request feedback regarding my squad leading.

Hello guys, I go by penandpennyman in game and you've probably seen on ps2 way to much recently. Anyway, I recently started SLing, and while I admit I am extraordinarily horrendous at doing so, I would enjoy some feedback from you guys. I could also use some tips SLing; I am horrible at giving and enforcing commands, I'm slow to react to situtations, bad at dealing with rebellious members amongst other things. If you want, please leave some comments below.

Thanks,

penandpennyman

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Re: Request feedback regarding my squad leading.

The strategy and Tactics PS2 Section is full of good stuff!
    Read this thread made by Garthra the other day, will be a great read for you.
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/planets...eadership.html
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Pen,

Tell people what to do. Be exact. Give orders frequently (within reason). Tell squad members what your expectations are. Try to use a commanding voice. Don't second guess yourself on comms. Have a sense of humour. :-)

Quantum

Comment

I've never had a problem with your SLing penny..........when I do have a problem I'll just quit the squad. In my opinion it's better to leave than talk bad about or try to override someone, that said........

Your usually on point....in a military sense not PS2's sense, you know the objective. Tactically there are something that could use brushing up on, but usually the PL's don't give much leeway in the SL's using tactics, which in my opinion isn't so good but then I was trained to improvise so can't fault them. Comms should stay clean......I got in trouble for saying "PL Charley comms" and was told that I didn't need to say PL......but then I was use to SL'S talking to each other and the need to identify who I was addressing the information. Really in sense if your just a voice piece for the PL then there really doesn't need to be a SL unless it's to give sitreps, and keep the kids under control.

We've had a lot of "open" squads, so the kids have started to play on the porch, comms have gotten sloppy and in many ways it's like trying to herd cats. Personally I think the SL job is more like a babysitter now. So I guess you have to ask yourself, "How good of a babysitter am I". Hopefully I haven't hurt anyone's feelings, but when you ask for an opinion, I'm gonna give you a honest one.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! Very helpful.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
          ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

I would agree with everything Dillweed and QQ said, in fact I was going to link that post also, excellent post there by Garthra.

@Rage,

I would say different SLs and PLs have different styles. There are even different styles at different times of the day/night. During Friday night ops when I am Company Commanding for example, we are more formal in the comms, tactics, and strategies. In early afternoons or late at night we may experiment with new tactics and/or be more casual.

As A PL (or CC), personally I try to keep my eye on the "big picture." I will send squad(s) or platoon(s) to objectives, but I usually try to leave it up to the individual SLs to interpret to their own squads how to achieve those objectives on the immediate, tactical level.

But yes, sometimes SLing can be like herding cats as you say, especially with a lot of pubbies in your squad. Usually I find it a fun challenge to take a group of pubbies and mold them into an effective fighting unit. As EMale says, if you set the proper tune (leading by example, while remaining positive), most will march to it. But this takes some time (only a few minutes really), some patience, and the right (positive) attitude. And I'm not always in the right frame of mind for that. When I am not, I just leave the squad Outfit only, or I go and just be a grunt in somebody else's squad.

@Penny,

From my perspective as a PL you have been a good SL. Good, succinct and relevant comms. I have not been in your squads so I cannot comment on your leadership as a SL. If you would like I would be happy to ride shotgun any time and just sit in your squad and watch and listen. Afterward (or during, utilizing /tells) I could give you a few pointers (so as not to erode your leadership). Just hit me up in game any time I am not SL or PLing. And my offer stands for anyone else reading this as well.

@Everyone,

At the end of the day, we all will develop our own leadership style, as leadership is a function of our own personalities. Some will talk more, some less, some run their squads more tight, some more loosely, etc. This is one of the strengths of TG. I would encourage everyone who aspires to SL and/or PL to spend time in different SL's squads, but especially the NCOs (or Officers). Those who have reached the Outfit rank of NCO (or Officer) have done so because they have demonstrated consistently that they have a sound understanding of tactics, leadership, and the TG way. If you don't know who your NCOs and Officers are, you can find them in the in game roster under the Outfit tab. Watch and learn.

Also, be aware of who is in your squad, what they are doing, their capabilities, and adjust your instructions accordingly. I know that if I have Spar, Assault9, Todd, and a bunch of TG regulars that I will need to say very little insofar as keeping them on task and explaining the objectives to them. But remember, there are lots of new people in this game every day. They may be first day in game and completely lost. lol So, explain what you are doing to your squad as you are doing it (ex., "we ae going to get up onto this ridge and fire down into the base" or, "we are going to hold Bravo point, set up defenses in this building and cover all entrances," etc.). As QQ said, be specific in explaining what you want your squad to do. How specific is up to you.

You also need a certain level of in game experience, no way of getting around that. You have to know the layout of the bases, how to assault, etc. or you are going to have some guys trying to back seat SL if you don't know what you are doing. So, again spend some time in experienced SL squads and learn the base layouts and the basics of the game.

Finally, arm yourself with knowledge. Read this and other forums. PS2 is a big game, there is a lot to know. Even I still learn new things all the time.

But most importantly, as QQ alluded to, have fun. A good leader needs to be almost an entertainer in a way. Not to say you have to be doing a stand up routine, but do things that are enjoyable and keep everyone's interest. Keep a sense of humor and remember at the end of the day it is a game and played for enjoyment. Make sure you are enjoying your SLing and gameplay. Sometimes that means doing something different than the standard base capping. Set up an AA ambush, Harasser wolfpack, or mine roads deep in enemy territory. BigGaayAl is very good at doing different things like that, even I like to drop into his squads when he is running them as they are always a treat.
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

@Randy

I of course understand what your talking about and see a very diverse difference between your and Al's style, and find both of your styles while different, engaging and fun. I was talking in generalities and not specifics. I work at nights so I'm mostly either in game for 8 hours (sometimes up to 12) or not. Which in my opinion is the only way without cheating that I could be at a level 41 in a month. Usually when someone has PL they keep it for the majority of time including up to and through the evening hours.

As well I understand the need for presentation since it refers to the "clothes make the man" and is usually seen in most management situations where business attire is the normal.........you have to look the part. In our case you have to act the part since noone can see your bearing or demeanor.

But there is an inherent problem in working the way we do at times, since a lot of people who would do the job admirably don't step up to do the job, it's given to anyone would will. And while I don't have the patience to "herd cats" and am obviously am more task oriented, if the job goes to someone that doesn't follow proper comms edicate or even CoC then is usually when I step out.

@ Penny

You have done an excellent job when I was under your command. If anything you just need more time in the seat. You are aware of the facilities and what they have available and aren't asking people to pull something that doesn't exist at a facility and then getting ticked because they didn't do it. You have "situational awareness" which in my opinion is rarely observed in leaders without a lot of experience in command and serves you well in your decision making.

I think it best to realize (and this goes more for me than anyone) that this is a game, and a Military sim......it's not the military and as such you have no authority to ensure anyone does anything. But for those that takes the sim seriously (like I do) then do your best to support each other, the unit and the command. This is the closest that many people will ever get to the military, so let's make the experience worth their while.......

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X