Interesting way to Squad lead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting way to Squad lead

Emale and I had an interesting squad going last night. (Before my computer decided to go glitchy again. Players jumping all over my mini map looked like a Meth head was refreshing it.)
    Emale was squad lead and I was second in comand. Emale would set targets and waypoints I would get the guys loaded up and moving while Emale liased with company comanders and such.
    Was a much easier and smoother way to run a squad. I find when squad leading there is too many things pulling at my attention. This divided up the duties perfectly.

Emale I'll be your second anyday.
    sigpic

Re: Interesting way to Squad lead

I was there for a short time. Really liked it.
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

I like that. Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

I approve of this if this is how your SL works. I see Emale doing this well, but I know some SLs this wouldn't work for. But a good idea none the less
        The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
        mutual respect for your fellow gamers
        and where all members
        would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
        Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Comment

Members of TG 1stMIP use fireteams as a default SOP. The 1stMIP standard operating procedure uses two fireteams, Alpha and Bravo.

I have used fireteams in BF2, PR, PoE, BC2, ArmA, and even BF3.

I make no pretense to precisely follow real-world fireteam procedures nor to be an expert in their use. My intention is not military simulation for simulation's sake but merely to adopt some of the more standard and proven organizational tools found within military operations.

My plan is to reintroduce fireteams within my PS2 squad as a SOP. I may expand to two fireteams but initially I am keeping it simple with just an Alpha fireteam. Once I have trained enough fireteam leaders later on this year I'll run trials with two fireteams in the PS2 environment.

I am very glad to hear from Todd that the fireteam trial was a positive experience. As Mordona points out, fireteams are not for everyone and I would not want to imply that they are the best way to run a squad.

Fireteams work because they simplify things and add another layer of functional specialization to a fighting unit.

Here is how I am currently using fireteam structure:

The SL takes care of all external comms with PL and other SLs.

The SL establishes objectives and targets.

The fireteam leader (FTL) takes care of details.

The process is initiated with a squad-wide briefing on basic issues (stay with your FTL and stay on objective).

The SL may or may not be directly engaged on combat with the fireteam. I am fairly crappy at close quarter combat so I default to a information-gathering situation awareness enhancing leadership role while using my FTL to keep the men focused on the current objective.

All this does not rule out innovation and initiative by the FTL. The point is not the micromanagement of the squad but a more precise and efficient deployment of collective firepower.

I use the word "cohesion" to describe the overall effect. A fireteam will be acting as a single fighting unit.

Thus my motto:

My Squad is My Weapon.
          sigpic

Comment

Fireteams are more difficult to implement in PS2 than, say, BF2, largely because of the larger number of squad members and greater freedom to switch kits and roles mid-battle. Still, you see people using ad-hoc fireteams all the time a a general necessity of squad operations.

Stella just said last night, "Alpha 2 through 8, take the western end of the bridge. Alpha 9-12, provide overwatch, focus south." Sound tactical organization.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

You arent to far off by your breakdown of a squad and fire team, (In the army it being an SL per 2 fire teams and what have you), and I do like this tactic because comms are enough to over whelm any leader no matter who you are so that in itself is a full time job, but the only problem i see is the spawn beacon problem, I think with out it a squad can still function, but real dedication on keeping a sundy is a must for that. I'm sure the tactics will change through the course of time, and I hope im there to test it out with ya'll.

Soldier Medic, Warrior Spirit! Hooah!

Comment

Originally posted by DocFinley View Post
                the only problem i see is the spawn beacon problem, I think with out it a squad can still function, but real dedication on keeping a sundy is a must for that.
                Minor quibble: I'm a firm believer that squads can and should be able to operate and sustain themselves WITHOUT access to an easy spawn. With engineers and medics in the squad this is entirely viable and is actually more effective in terms of keeping people up than relying on a spawn point. With good positioning and squad cohesion, you can even match or exceed the effectiveness of an enemy squad with proper sunderer support... your only disadvantage is that you can't change kits in a hurry.

Still, squad beacons and sunderers are nice insurance for when all your medics go down simultaneously... :(

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
                  Emale and I had an interesting squad going last night. (Before my computer decided to go glitchy again. Players jumping all over my mini map looked like a Meth head was refreshing it.)
                  Emale was squad lead and I was second in comand. Emale would set targets and waypoints I would get the guys loaded up and moving while Emale liased with company comanders and such.
                  Was a much easier and smoother way to run a squad. I find when squad leading there is too many things pulling at my attention. This divided up the duties perfectly.

Emale I'll be your second anyday.
                  I also give the thumbs up for this style of leading in Planetside 2. I often will reiterate SL orders and just generally try to get the squad to be cohesive. I would say that the Platoon leader should have a second in command in the squad as a must. That frees up the platoon leader to concentrate on the strategy of the war game, instead of being caught up in the details.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X