Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes a good PS2 player? For newer players...........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a good PS2 player? For newer players...........

This is not what makes a good TG member but something a bit more specific to the game. We are getting a lot of new players to the outfit and the game. Some of us are vets at the game and need to pass on our hard earned secrets to the newer guys so that they can get up to speed as quickly as possible. Thus making the game more enjoyable.

I'm a ground pounder so..........

Obviously you need to have a good aim........how do you do that? BOT my friend BOT.......Bullets On Target. Now I consider myself a fair shot, but I rode with BigAl today in a Lib and found shooting from a spinning platform at targets barely visible, and working through lock-outs difficult at best.........I need more BOT time in libs or just not shoot from a moving platform. But shooting from a lib isn't the same as shooting from say.......a Harrasser. So I would say find your niche and get BOT. In time your aim will be amazing.

Terrain........how many of us have been caught on terrain? Either trying to get up something or down from something or around something...........How do you NOT get caught on terrain? I've developed a few techniques which I'm willing to share, but let's hear from others and get a broader range of training.

How do you know what to hit first and what to hit last in say a....Tech plant....or a Bio-Lab. Where do you go and what do you look for? In time every one of us learns this, but for the newer PS2 and TG players, please give your opinions.

If your 'fast capping' a base, what is your strategy?

Going from one location to another..........what's the best means of transportation and does it depend on the objective?

What do you do if you encounter the enemy? When they notice you and when they don't notice you.

What have you learned from other players that you've found to have the most influence on how you play the game.

These are just a few suggestions to get the thread going............My first and foremost advise is to ask someone in game about a specific question. Those situations usually grow to a mini or full blown training session depending on the question.
    I would also advise not to ask when we are in a formal squad/platoon campaign, since these situations require comm discipline and formal CoC structures, it's usually not possible to request something like training. Just follow along wth your squad and do what they do. After the campaign or when you see someone solo in game then ask your question. TG is made up of a great bunch of people, they will help you in whatever capacity they can.

Re: What makes a good PS2 player? For newer players...........

My best advice is this. If you're not the PL don't countermand any order given to you by the PL, this includes all acting SL's. Nothing breaks cohesion and momentum faster then second guessing your orders.

Stay with your squad and SL, if you are off on your own doing whatever you are not working as a team and diminish the squads over-all effectiveness.

Relay important info to your SL and let him decide if it needs to go up the chain of command. If you are not the squad lead, you don't need to be opening your mouth in platoon.

Finally. Shut your trap. Know who the SL, PL and CC are and shut-up when they start talking. Muddying the waters when orders are coming down is a sure way to screw the pooch when an assault is in full swing. An SL having to ask for a rebroadcast of orders because someone is talking is just bad.

Comment

Also learn when to Q spot an enemy and when not to. There are times when you and your squad are sneaking into a base and you don't need to announce all of our presences by Q spotting an enemy soldier leaving the base on a flash 300M away. When your position is already given away then by all means Q spot away.

Another point is learn when it is prudent to not fire your weapon! If you are in a Sundy trying to get somewhere don't open fire on a Liberator that is paying you no mind. HE WILL TURN AROUND AND WIPE OUT YOUR SQUAD! :-)

Biytor Great point!! I am guilty of this. I am writing myself a note right now to put beside my monitor that reads "STFU".
      sigpic

Comment

Don't over camp spawn. If for some reason you never brought a Sunderer or an Infiltrator to hack for a Sunderer the only way you have of getting back into the fight is a beacon and medics. And if you camp too close you put your medic in danger, also putting your squad and objective in danger.

Setup a crossfire where the NME has to cross your line of sight to get directly to the point. Most people when they spawn in they B line it straight to the point. Take advantage of that and setup on an angle that they have to run directly through your line of sight. You will then first spot and then shoot while everyone else sees them on map not to mention you can use comms :) When this is done correctly your success at capturing the base goes way up without wasting your time going there in the first place to get rolled. And Medics should stay in a safe location to revive the fallen.

FUN FUN

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
          Also learn when to Q spot an enemy and when not to. There are times when you and your squad are sneaking into a base and you don't need to announce all of our presences by Q spotting an enemy soldier leaving the base on a flash 300M away. When your position is already given away then by all means Q spot away.

Another point is learn when it is prudent to not fire your weapon! If you are in a Sundy trying to get somewhere don't open fire on a Liberator that is paying you no mind. HE WILL TURN AROUND AND WIPE OUT YOUR SQUAD! :-)

Biytor Great point!! I am guilty of this. I am writing myself a note right now to put beside my monitor that reads "STFU".
          Been many a time where when I held still and quiet, I watched entire enemy squads roll on by without noticing me. Oh, how dark blue, shadows, and a nearby building help you blend in...

I will have to harp on terrain a bit more; Use depressions in the land to your advantage. There have been many times where the land resembles a puffy mattress, with dips and hills all over the place when you are trying to push onto an objective. I found that if you crouch down behind the small bumps, you are able to avoid so much enemy fire. Cannon shells will fall short, so will machine gun rounds. Plot the quickest course through the 'mattress' so you minimize enemy fire to yourself.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I find stillness is also a useful lesson and tactic, especially for new recruits.

I default to stillness, Buddha-like, in the midst of chaos. Then I use my eyes (I have sound effects down to 1% so I can hear you speak).

Watch the battle front-lines form. Watch as enemies and allies run recklessly (and needlessly) into killing fields. Watch as vehicles rush in too close and are destroyed in moments. Watch for distant enemy snipers. Watch for the safe zones, the cover, the flanks. When you have been still long enough, you will know when to run, when to shoot, where to go.
            sigpic

Comment

Good communications is a great thing for new players. Poor communications is harmful to all players and leaders. Good communications will avoid annoying others as you get started, and will benefit your team. Furthermore, it will prepare you to take leadership positions. The general rule is communications should be minimal. This does not mean do not speak; instead think carefully before you speak.

Four questions should be asked, in your head before speaking.

1.) Is this something that will help the team or is it a personal comment which the team does not need to hear?

2.) What is the proper comms channel to relay this message? Can I use Proximity or must I use squad? Use the channel which will reach only the necessary people. (Note: Do not use platoon unless you are Squad leader or Platoon Leader.)

3.) Is this lower priority message, and can therefore be typed instead of spoken? Examples of proper typed messages: Requests for technical assistance. Questions about the latest patch. How you should spend certs. Basically anything the squad does not need to take immediate action on. Examples of proper spoken messages; immediate requests for assistance or support. Enemy locations. “copy” following specific orders.

4.) How shall I phrase this to be clear and concise? Good Example: "Bravo copies, assaulting Jeagar's First." Bad Example: "Umm, ok, like, we will go attack Jeagar's Fist then!" Pick your words carefully. Avod words that are essentially throat clearing, as they waste time. Avoid slang, as people come from everywhere in the world to play in this game and do not know your slang.

Remember: a lot of people are being forced to listen to every word you say, and it is your duty to consider that fact before speaking. This is not you and two friends, this is 6, or 12, or 40 strangers trying to achieve a goal. Be respectful of others and keep the goal in mind.
              The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Great post. We talked about this very subject at our last roundtable which you can listen to below. Xen hosted Randy and Knifewise:

http://youtu.be/EPEJ1GxAPi8

Reminds me to organise the next one!

Comment

Fire discipline. As mentioned, understand weapons red/yellow/green commands and why we abide by them. But even in basic infantry combat, know when you are firing off a volley that will kill, and when you are just giving away your position to someone who will turn and kill you.

Not claiming any special ability (my K/D is very average), but this mental checklist has worked for me:

Try to shoot someone that is already being shot at.

If you spot the enemy first and he is in your optimal range, STOP, aim (reticule or hip), and fire.

If he spots you and fires first, outside your range, defensive maneuvers/powers until he reloads, then STOP and fire.

If he spots you and fires first, from your optimal range, return fire. It's a tossup.

If you are fired upon and you can't see the attacker, MOVE TO COVER.

If you have a shotgun and can use it, I hate you.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...