Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't make this mistake (Magazine Size vs. Reload Speed)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't make this mistake (Magazine Size vs. Reload Speed)

As I have been upgrading my battle Gal again lately (double XP weekend woohoo) , I was under the mistaken impression that you could upgrade both Magazine Size AND Reload Speed. But I just noticed today when looking more closely at my Gal weapons, that this is an either/or choice. :/

So which to put your certs in? I googled and apparently someone has done the science already: Galaxy Bulldog: Magazine size vs. Reload speed. Looks like the Magazine Size upgrades result in a lower overall seconds per shot, and for less cert investment to boot.

I was following an upgrade path of Magazine Size, then Reload Speed, on my primary ground attack (Tertiary, seat #4) mortar until I got it up pretty well, then I put a bunch on the #2 gun, again alternating between the two. I was grinding quite a bit Sunday and Monday to do this (went up 4 BR this past holiday weekend). So, how many certs did I "waste" on Reload Speed upgrades, before realizing what I was doing? 1100 certs :/

Maybe one day SOE will allow you do "de-cert" things, and re-apply them. But until that happens, let my folly be a lesson to everyone, be careful in your research and know what you are doing before committing your precious and hard earned certs!
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: Don't make this mistake (Magazine Size vs. Reload Speed)

That stinks man.
    I doubt they would allow a de-cert option, as you would only need to gain a certain amount of certs before you could constantly swap them based on the situation.
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Thanks Randy! We can learn.
      The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

I think in PS1 you could de-cert, and apply elsewhere, but there were time limits, etc. Otherwise people would just be doing exactly what you said dillweed. I thought I may have heard something mentioned for PS2 at some point, but it could have been only a "wish list" as far as I know. I, for one, do wish...
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
          I think in PS1 you could de-cert, and apply elsewhere, but there were time limits, etc. Otherwise people would just be doing exactly what you said dillweed. I thought I may have heard something mentioned for PS2 at some point, but it could have been only a "wish list" as far as I know. I, for one, do wish...
          it would be nice! or maybe you could make it so each cert had a unique ID and so maybe you could only switch each cert twice or something
          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I did the same thing with High Velocity Ammo for the SAW. After I bought it I noticed it didn't do what I thought it would do and made me hit less often. Then Randy spoke up in TS and explained why it's not an upgrade for the SAW. It's only 100 certs, but the shear amount of 100 cert items that I have that are downgrades is stunning. I would pay 1000 SC to re-cert and be happy doing it.

Comment

But... HV ammo for the SAW is great! (Matter of opinion, I know) It boosts your damage between 10 and 100 meters, (though not by much) but more critically the 10% velocity increase gives the Gauss SAW one of the fastest projectiles in the game, faster than any sniper rifle. This makes pinging targets at long range exceptionally easy. I've often said that the SAW is a better Battle Rifle than our actual battle rifle, because a stock SAW has a faster projectile than a Warden with HVA. :S Some people consider HVA a straight upgrade, since the added recoil acts only in the vertical direction, and is therefore easy to compensate for. I run HVA, Compensator, Adv. Foregrip, and a 2X reflex... It's lovely, especially when you can out-duel snipers at 200m. :P

With regards to mag size vs reload speed for various weapons, I'd tend to pick mag size over reload speed, even if reload speed gave a higher overall fire rate. Reason being, encounters in Planetside are usually won by the higher burst-damage weapon.

Also keep in mind that you start most every engagement with a loaded magazine, and a bigger mag will have a higher DPS over the first few magazines fired, even if the faster reloading weapon strictly has a higher overall

It works the same way as high-alpha, slow-reload tank weapons. For an extreme example, (old numbers) the Lightning AP had a DPS of 513 while the Vanguard AP had a DPS of 500. However, As the Vanguard had higher damage per shot (2000 vs 1540), a Vanguard's DPS exceeded a Lightning's DPS over the first 35 seconds of a fight, at which point it was overtaken by the Lightning AP.

513-500 = 13 DPS disadvantage
              2000-1540 = 460 alpha damage advantage

460 damage / 13 damage per second = 35 seconds for the Lightning to overcome the Vanguard's alpha damage advantage!

Maths is fun!
              Last edited by Strait Raider; 05-29-2013, 07:35 PM.
              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                I've often said that the SAW is a better Battle Rifle than our actual battle rifle, because a stock SAW has a faster projectile than a Warden with HVA.
                Don't you DARE say mean things about my Warden! D:

Comment

I made that mistake with my sundy. Talk about something making me mad! Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
                    That stinks man.
                    I doubt they would allow a de-cert option, as you would only need to gain a certain amount of certs before you could constantly swap them based on the situation.
                    See, they'd [i]love[/i\ that, because I am sure that a cert reset option would only be available for SC.
                    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                      See, they'd love that, because I am sure that a cert reset option would only be available for SC.
                      Not necessarily. There could be a time limit involved, or you may have to pay a premium to do so (say 10%, of the certs you wanted to "reclaim"). Work something out so that it could be used for it's intended purpose, and not abused.

Comment

While I acknowledge there are ways to handle re-certing in a reasonable way without using cash payment (PS1 did a great job of it), I can almost guarantee you it'll be for Station Cash.

* Unlike PS1, certifications are fine grained and extremely varied, making them impossible to refund in the one-at-a-time fashion of PS1, making a similar peacemeal solution unlikely
                        * They've got a stated philosophy of "investing" in a role over time, so they don't want free mechanics that encourage switching it up
                        * It undercuts their financial model of rewarding people with certs for subscribing/buying boosts, since people won't need the new certs when they can just take them off a class they aren't playing any more. (but hey, it's all good if they pay up first)
                        * $$$$

Planetside 2 has been relatively good in terms of the Free-to-play scale from "inobtrusive" to "outright manipulative", but this is a clear case of something they can monetize without impacting core gameplay (a "convenience" feature). You can bet they'll take advantage of that.

Comment

What is disappointing is that the upgrades are a clear one is better than other sort.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                            Planetside 2 has been relatively good in terms of the Free-to-play scale from "inobtrusive" to "outright manipulative", but this is a clear case of something they can monetize without impacting core gameplay (a "convenience" feature). You can bet they'll take advantage of that.
                            I must say that me being a completely free player, still feel that I can equally play against paying enemies, they do do an excellent job with the free-to-play, just got to invest time instead of money :)

only one class of guns that makes me rage are the TR shotgun....boy does it make me rage
                            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
                              only one class of guns that makes me rage are the TR shotgun....boy does it make me rage
                              But... the TR shotguns are identical in all aspects to the NC shotguns, and the VS are identical in all aspects except for travelling slightly slower and with no bullet drop. (neither of which are noticeable in a shotgun anyway, unless you're using slugs at medium range)
                              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X