No announcement yet.

Tank drivers unite (and pilots too)!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank drivers unite (and pilots too)!!!!

Hi guys, BSG62 here.

First off, I want to say it has been really fun so far playing with TG and I want to thank you guys for taking me in.

I want to start organizing the dedicated armor players here in TG (and the rest of PS2). I have run into plenty of PS2 players that, like me, are impossible to pry out of their cockpits (whether it's on the ground or in the air) and it's time that we start putting our unique certifications to good use. One of the biggest problems we have is that when we join the main platoon, we are often asked to abandon our armor and become infantry. This leaves us in a dilemma, we are tankers and that's why we play the game but if we don't cooperate then we are detracting from the platoon, wasting valuable squad slot.

I have spoken with Randy and with his blessing, I'm am going to start running a second unit that is dedicated mechanized. Starting out I would like to make it two squads of armor and two squads of air. If the response is large enough and a flyboy steps up, then we can grow into three platoons, one infantry, one armor and one air.

Finally, the most important thing I want to do is start weekly armor training. A lot of people have good tanks but don't know how to use them. There is no excuse for losing a Vanguard before your cooldown timer has reset ( :p I have a lot of certs into my timer), with a little training everyone can learn how to keep that tank alive.

Any armor folks that are interested, please leave a reply with your in-game name so I can get the ball rolling here and I look forward to tanking across the battlefield with you soon!

Not to sound pushy but this thread is just to get organized and I will be reading it often to gather names. Please don't go off topic, posting about tactics or opinions about dedicated armor being a bad idea or something; we can start other threads for that.

Re: Tank drivers unite (and pilots too)!!!!

welcome BSG62! (you have been my go to guy when I need a medic lately)

I love my vanguard, so i would like to try this out =)

in game name: Ghostshooter101

Comment

I'm down for this. Got a pretty Repair Sunderer ready for the fight! (And Radar Lightning and Vanguard)

Comment

Bravo BSG62 for getting this started, even though I'm not a tank/pilot guy (too confining for my taste) you are barking up the right tree with your views and remarks. You tried to friend me in game and to be honest I don't friend people I don't know, but try it again and I'll gladly accept.

Now is the time for the tankers and pilots to step up.............don't want to be told to "ditch the armor and/or aircraft"? Then make a division and strike while the iron is hot.

Comment

Glad to see a new member taking something they would like to see happen and running with it! That is how things happen, by building in a positive, constructive way.

As I made the point in this thread, let the tankers tank, the flyboys fly, and the infantry pound the ground. That way everybody gets to do what they want, and the Outfit benefits from combined arms. Also, as you correctly point out, those interested in those roles usually have a lot of certs into those vehicles.

I would encourage all PLs to allow a dedicated armor squad within your platoon, whenever interested parties are present and request permission to form one. Infantry only platoons can be fun some times but I think at times we are missing out then on the combined arms picture which is a great aspect to this game (and often times, tactically necessary!). We take the time to do it on FNF nights, but no reason we can't do it more often during the week, too. Of course sometimes the situation dictates the strategy (I may go to airborne infantry in order to capture a lot of bases quickly, or if we are using the Ascent as a base of operations, etc.) so if your request is denied don't lose heart. :) But personally, I will try and accommodate you as much as possible as I think having a corps of tankers within TG is just as important as having a corps of pilots.

BSG62, I would give you a couple pointers, things I learned from running air squads frequently and being one of the ones responsible for building up the nice air corps we currently enjoy within TG. I think the following are why we now have quite a few good pilots in our Outfit (and outside our Outfit, but who play with us frequently like AACE):

1.Name your squad "TacticalGamer.com 1D Armor (tankers wanted!)" and then leave it Private (all that means is that they have to pick you from the list, they can't join randomly by pressing Insert). We get a lot of pilots from other outfits joining our air squads, some ended up joining our Outfit (I usually name it "TacticalGamer.com 1C CAS (pilots wanted!)."

2.Run armor squads frequently. As with air, the reason I think we enjoy a lot of pilots currently is because we run a lot of air squads, plain and simple. People want to play what they want to play, for some people this is air. Or armor. The reverse of this is that PLs again I encourage you to allow dedicated tank squads so as not to drive away good tankers. Just because you don't like armor (personally I don't) does not mean we do not need it helping our effort on the battlefield!

3.Once you get a group of regular players, then you can start worrying about training, tactics, which you guys in the tanks can all get together and figure out what works best in game.

Also I can tell you off the top of my head who I know enjoy doing armor, ghostshooter (who already replied), phaelah (edRush on forums), BaconSpanking, and I know there are others too but can't think of them atm.

I encourage everyone who enjoys doing armor (or gunning, or Skyguards, or running support Sundies), to post up here and/or get with BSG in game!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I enjoy running armour. Have a certed everything pretty much. Give me a shout ingame. TGToddshooter
            sigpic

Comment

I have a heavily certed Vanguard and have a lot of experience with team armor tactics (mostly from BF2, but a few others), and would gladly join up in a longer-term dedicated armor squad. High attrition rates and frequent tactical redeployment undercut the absolute value of armor in PS2, but that shouldn't stop anyone from practicing to use it effectively.

Still bugs me when I offer to work gunner/engy for a tank driver and then he drives off and leaves me exposed while I'm repairing. Days like that I miss the 1st-MIP.

Make sure to talk with BigGaayAl about formations, movement, and tactical positioning. He is the resident expert on PS2 armor and runs very tight mechanized squads.
              In game handle: Steel Scion
              sigpic

Comment

Hey BSG,

I've really been looking for some organized tank action and this is great. I love pulling armor. I have a mean Lightning with HE/Skyguard and a Vanguard with AP. I also agree that tank/ground vehicle training is important and looking forward to learning some new things! I'll send you a friend invite in-game.

IGN: hootjohnson

Comment

Every time I've joined a dedicated armor squad it's been fun on a bun. The SLs each did excellent work keeping their squads' tanks alive, getting them fed and watered and keeping them in the fight. The take away, for me at least, has been that coordinated armor applied in the right place at the right time is devastatingly effective. In addition to the artillery you're carrying, the area denial AA bubble you can create with some of your gunners running flak cannons has to be seen to be believed.

If you run training nights, I'll try to show up, schedule depending, of course. Thanks for stepping up.

Comment

Awesome! Definitely been wanting to do more with armor, so count me in. IGN: Mordecai

Comment

Hit me up, in-game is StraitRaider. Souped up Lightning, Vanny, and Harasser. Love to drive all 3.

I'd call out BlackPythonTG and Mach10 if they're around, I know they're both very skilled tankers as well.
                      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Wow, I'm really glad this has received a large response. We ran an armor squad last night, thanks to those that participated and stayed in armor. It kinda fell apart due to all of the game crashing but it was fun. I stayed in my Vanguard the entire night and with my gunner's help i cleared an entire battle rank just teeter-tottering on a ridge over looking Feldspar Canyon tower; stupid VS never even knew we were there!

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has been joining the tank squad over the last few days. It has been really a tough time with all of the server/game problems but it has still been fun. I'm still working on setting up the armor training and hopefully we can get some combined arms training going so that we can better coordinate the armor and infantry players.

Also, concerning the massive pop imbalance lately, I have been off on my own learning how to use and cert the lightning since it has been difficult to hold our tech plants. It has been very successful and I encourage all of the tankers to look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by ViperMkII View Post
                            Also, concerning the massive pop imbalance lately, I have been off on my own learning how to use and cert the lightning since it has been difficult to hold our tech plants. It has been very successful and I encourage all of the tankers to look into it.
                            +1 for persevering through 'unfair' times. Warfighting is never fair and the true great warriors adapt to everything!

Comment

What a great future ahead!

Specialized TG platoons, Infantry, Armour, Air, all working together.

I was running a tank squad today on Esamir for a while -- great fun.

Tanks that are quickly destroyed are usually a sign of a lack of cohesion, coordination, and command. Drivers often do not listen when told to pull back and heal up when hit.

The tactic of sitting still while taking hits while a Eng repairs your tank should be discouraged. It too often creates a giant "target" sign. If you are under direct and constant bombardment you are in the wrong position.

Spare Engs must be paired with specific tanks or zones.

Advances must be controlled and retreat zones established.

I think the next time I run a tank squad the rule will be added: "lose your tank and you will be removed from the squad." Too often a tank is lost because its driver was not following precise orders.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X