Time for a skyguard, post loadout suggestions here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a skyguard, post loadout suggestions here

I have some certs saved up. Whats everybody putting into their skyguards, and the reasons?

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Re: Time for a skyguard, post loadout suggestions here

Top armour is usually recommended since that'll stop aircraft from hitting you as hard. I like the racer chassis, since the speed and acceleration are pretty important in a support role like that. Ammo certs on the Skyguard turret are incredibly helpful, but zooms might actually throw off your aim at a distance more than they help (your mileage my vary). Thermals might be better, since it allows the Skyguard to spot mines easier, and helps out in the Skyguard's secondary anti-infantry role.

Comment

I'd advise top armor as well. High-level zooms don't seem worth it given the shake and CoF at range. It's flak, you don't have to be 100% accurate anyway.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

I use 1.5 zoom, vehicle stealth, radar, and better handling.

I think the 1.5 zoom does help, and doesn't shake so violently that it ruins your aim. I also think vehicle stealth is good, as the lightning is a very loud vehicle. Stealth helps mask the lightning, as it explores for places to set up. I have had so many times where I have nearly driven into an enemy convoy, but wasn't spotted because of vehicle stealth. I like the radar, as it helps me detect pesky infantry around me, trying to C4 me. And I like better handling, as being able to turn around quickly as well as turn around corners quickly, is a life saver.

However, top armour is not a bad investment either.
        |TG-73rd|Socomseal
        |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Interesting about the zooms. Thanks for the info guys. I already had stealth and radar certed.

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

I'd recommend:

1) buy skyguard

2) cert stealth

3) done

Imo the skyguard does not need anything else. Some reload speed or extra rounds per mag, or more total ammo will of course help.

Defensive or speed upgrades however seem not worth the investment to me unless you use your lightning with other main weapons as well (I don't). You should be away from enemy ground anyway, and against air your gun is your best defense, not your armor.

Only defensive upgrade that might be worth it is the first level of stealth. It is very cheap and will make it much much harder for enemy air to locate you in time.

Comment

I'd echo the rest of these guys and say that stealth is my preferred defensive slot, however this is mainly because I use the Lightning extensively as an anti-ground flanking tank. Were I to have a pure Skyguard loadout, I would stick with stealth, but give some consideration to the auto-repair system: For just under 400 certs, level 4 will heal you from 50% to full health in 25 seconds. Since auto-repair's buff, it is a viable alternative to self-repair for an engineer, allowing you to keep your eyes on the skies protecting your allies and your squishy infantry body inside your tin can.

For utility, I use the IR smoke although again, this is mainly because that is what I have certed on my main Lighting loadout. IR smoke is less effective at hiding you from air than it is from ground targets, but it is a versatile tool, useful for dealing with pesky infantry lock-ons, screening your retreat from enemy units, and even providing cover for friendly infantry to advance. Even for a pure-skyguard build, I'd still probably pick IR smoke, though that's just personal choice. The proximity radar has such small range that it really isn't useful for much more than avoiding C4 attacks. Curiously, many Skyguard drivers swear by the Fire Suppression System as well. I believe this stems from the fact that a rocket-armed ESF can just about finish off a Lightning with a single volley if he catches him off-guard. With FSS, (not to be confused with FFS) a Lightning would regain enough health to put him on even or better terms than an ESF, even if it gets in a full alpha-strike at the start of the engagement.

Performance upgrades are a matter of personal preference. As a flanking tank, I use the Racer Chassis, and this benefits me as a Skyguard as well in that the greatly increased acceleration allows me to bolt out of the kill-zone when enemy air fires down on me. Surprising acceleration with a dash of smoke for a split-second's distraction has saved me more times than I care to count. The other thing that I like about the Racer Chassis on the Skyguard is that it allows you to outrun any enemy armour that slips through your lines. In a stock chassis, getting caught by a Lightning or even a quick MBT would be a death sentence. That extra speed and more importantly, acceleration, will get you out of dodge when you need it. The Scrapper Chassis makes for a more easy-to-drive tank, particularly for a Skyguard which spends much of its time making moderate changes in position. However if you like myself find the handling of the stock chassis to be manageable, I think you will get more out of the Racer Chassis. (you can even chase down and kill pesky Harassers with Racer 3)

Weapon: The L100 AP is a viable anti-air weapon. :D On your Skyguard, it's worth it to pick up the first couple levels of ammo capacity. You're going to be throwing a lot of rounds downrange, you can never have too much ammo. For optics I'd save for the thermals. You're not going to use them against air, but they greatly increase your effectiveness in your secondary anti-infantry role, and can compensate for not having radar equipped. A quick scan of the area around you will reveal most infantry to a greater range than the prox radar, but costs only 200 certs instead of 1200. Don't bother with reload speed until you're swimming in certs and really have no idea what to do with them. When you do have more certs than you can use... spend it on ammo capacity instead. :P The Skyguard has a large magazine and a slight reload speed reduction adds little to its long-term DPS, which itself will only be useful if say, a particularly slow Galaxy flies overhead.
              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X