New Nexus Battle Island?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [VIDEO] New Nexus Battle Island?!

On Ps2's Youtube channel today they released a new video revealing the new Nexus Battle Island. It seems it was made to appeal to the console crowd (Call of Duty and Battlefield 3 players included) and MLG (Major League Gaming).

The map focuses on interior battles and smaller locations, with 2 or possibly 3 teams (probably a squad or platoon making one team) pitted against each other. This is sure to bring lots of new players into PS2, for better or for worse. Feel free to leave comments below if you want to discuss this interesting mechanic.

Edit: Video URL is being blocked. Do not know how to work around this for it says I do not have permission to post attachments (Do I need to become a supporting member?). To view the video go to YouTube's Planetside2 Page and you should find it there.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Re: New Nexus Battle Island?!

It's just the thing where you have to have a minimum number of posts. I guess it's probably 30.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK0cNWyL74A

Comment

It looks pretty cool. I wonder if it will be available for anyone to warp to when there's not a scheduled event.

Comment

Looks like it might be a nice change of pace. They've mentioned integrating it into the regular continent flow, so I have to wonder how that'll work in terms of player counts and such.

I like the look of the layout, too. Yeah, it's not as grandiose as your typical PS2 map, but it's also looks pretty tightly built and supports gameplay we don't get often enough on the big maps (linear canyons and infantry only areas that aren't the same goddamn BioLab or Tech Plant interior). I also like the thought of an area built for smaller, more intimate battles rather than the zergfests the main continents can easily turn into. At very least, the smaller player counts mean that one faction can't just ride a population advantage to certain victory (*cough*VANU*cough*)

Eagerly awaiting new details.

Comment

O.K, thanks SuperDudeBT, did not realize that.

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Infil heaven to me so much CQC there lol, and i hope the sniper at :43 wasn't aiming.

Comment

Oooooo.. MK likey!

sigpic

Comment

Rather have Hossin and continental locks instead.

Comment

Fortunately, that's not an either/or thing, Biytor. Hossin is still coming in a few months, and it'll be all the better for the extra iteration time and lessons learned from other continents.

Personally, I'd be super happy if they started interspersing the big continent releases with battle islands (presuming they'll be regularly accessible) to stop these big droughts from happening. Would be pretty sweet.

Comment

Per higby it will be an mlg only thing ar first, till they find a way to connect it to the main continents. My guess is we will see it when continent locking finally happens

Comment

I've heard everyone lamenting about this "continent locking" thing. I've spent 340+ hours in ps2 and still have no idea what it means. Can someone enlighten me?

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Continent locking would be a way to "own" a continent and lock the other factions out, at least for a while. A temporary end-game for continental conquest. It's something that'll make more sense when they're more territory to fight over.

Battle islands would make sense as either an intermediate step between continents (IE, to go from Indar to Amerish there's a battle island between the two warp gates) or as a "back door" for getting around continental lock/the main warp gates. I'll be interested to see how they approach it.

Comment

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
                          I've heard everyone lamenting about this "continent locking" thing. I've spent 340+ hours in ps2 and still have no idea what it means. Can someone enlighten me?
                          Currently, which ever side starts to win gains more territory, resources and begins to "warpgate" the others. Seeing that they're losing, some players from the other teams then switch continent, as they're free to do so, making things worse. In the worst cases, it becomes a circle fest with each faction capping one territory, then they all rotate and ghost cap another (happens in the early hours).

Now say each faction owns a continent and they're all fighting over a fourth. If VS were to win, they'd then have a choice between attacking the TR or NC - they couldn't go to just any continent. When they move, the tables have turned and the winning side is now disadvantaged, having to fight their way out. Each continent should have benefits that are worthwhile, so that picking the route you want to take becomes a strategic choice. So it's a bit like the lattice system but on a continent level.

I'm not particularly interested in MLG, but the map looks fun and it'd be good to have a change of pace. As long as it's tied into the continent locking system, I'm fine with it. I doubt it'd be a stepping stone though, as it'd create a funnel with an entire faction depending on a small number of players, which should be avoided. I think either the "back door" approach, or a method of simply changing which continent links to which would be more likely.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
                            Here is a picture of the original Continent Lattice system from PS1.

[IMG=http://s135.photobucket.com/user/joextod/media/Planetside_map2_zps3ad8e3e3.jpg.html][/IMG]

The continents; TR Sanctuary, VS Sanctuary, NC Sanctuary, were safe zones for each side. You could form up pull vehicles and deploy in mass using warp gates to other continents. Example, you load up your galaxy full of 12 troopers on the NC Sanctuary, fly into the center of the warp gate and you ALL come out on the other side still in the galaxy on a new continent. Currently you can't do this in PS2 but it is suppose to be coming. The dots on each continent represent the warpgates on that continent. Starting at your sanctuary you had a clearly defined path that attack a few of the continents. After you captured the next continent in the line. It would be come "Locked" on unattainable by other factions, for a certain amount of time. I believe it was 8 or 10 hours. Endgame for PS1 was actually pushing back both other empires back to their sanctuaries and locking down all playable continents.

There was a second way around this called Geowarps and caves but that will further confuse things, so I wont get into it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DocFinley View Post
                              Infil heaven to me so much CQC there lol, and i hope the sniper at :43 wasn't aiming.
                              Noticed the Same thing Doc! At that range, you have no excuse to miss.

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...