Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] PlanetSide 2: Matt Higby on Battle Islands

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32672

Sounds like where not going to see continent locking until Hossin and at least two other "battle islands" come out.

picture above by calder87 on reddit

Re: PlanetSide 2: Matt Higby on Battle Islands

Not really huh? I thought the Battle Islands are 96 people only. looks like we can move through Hossin. So we won't need the Islands unless on just a Platoon challenge. I don't see why they can't do it anyway just leave out the 2 Islands. If you drew more lines in there anything is possible :) They have to do something so we can make sense of this lattice system. I notice that as a outfit we rarely goto lattice. That is not good and with the lock system that might just help make more sense of it. Well and some kind of POP fix.

FUN FUN

Comment

Originally posted by sparhawkxx View Post
      Not really huh? I thought the Battle Islands are 96 people only. looks like we can move through Hossin. So we won't need the Islands unless on just a Platoon challenge. I don't see why they can't do it anyway just leave out the 2 Islands. If you drew more lines in there anything is possible :) They have to do something so we can make sense of this lattice system. I notice that as a outfit we rarely goto lattice. That is not good and with the lock system that might just help make more sense of it. Well and some kind of POP fix.
      From other sources I read, the 48 v 48 is just for Esport crap. Its suppose to allow a couple hundred when used for the live game, but they have yet to give an exact number. Also they can pump out "battle islands" in about a month using existing biome assets, but I'm still looking for the exact quote. The reason Hossin is taking so long is its, using new assets and has been redone once already.

Comment

Let me reframe that:

We only need to wait for Hossin and two more battle islands to see continent locking!

That's good news to me. I'd have some very serious concerns Re: lack of space to fight if true continent locking were implemented on the current three continents. 4 continents and 3+ battle islands seems to be pushing it a bit.

Really good to be hearing that it's not too far off, though.

Comment

I'm not sure how I feel about that diagram. I don't want to be the guy who screams "Sanctuaries!", but this looks like it may limit the area that is fought over. In this example, Southern Amerish, Northern Indar, and Eastern Esamir will likely not see combat on 95% of days.

Giving each faction an UCB... sanctuary... that connects to 2/4 continents or 3/4 continents would give factions better options and open up more of the map, in my opinion.

Edit:

Actually, I'd love to hear the opinions of some of our regular pilots. Is 2km x 2km going to marginalize the air game, given the distance that AA can project? Particularly with the enclosed nature of a lot of the map (and I know this was a deliberate design choice) how do you guys see vehicle warfare on this battle island?
          Last edited by Strait Raider; 07-05-2013, 05:28 PM.
          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Is Hossin available on the test server right now?

Comment

2x2km is a pretty narrow area to fly, but it'll all depend on the terrain features. If there's line of sight blockers for the majority of AA emplacements/vantage points, and most importantly landing pads with terrain protecting them from AA, then it'll be more than fine. It'll still require an active attempt by ground forces to clear out prominent sources of AA, but between the flight ceiling and the friendly airspace there should be more than enough options for retreat. Even without significant line of sight blocking (which doesn't appear to be a problem from what I've seen so far) you're still not going to be able to project AA more than 500-600 meters away in a dangerous concentration. If someone parked a skyguard in the center of the map, you'd lose the central 1km x 1km area at low altitudes, but that's still plenty of room to manuever.

An interesting aspect of that map size would be how rapidly air assets could respond to things. A reaver can cover a kilometer in about 20s, so realistically you'd be talking half a minute response time to almost any fight. That could result in some pretty hectic back-and-forth CAS support supporting multiple fronts simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                I'm not sure how I feel about that diagram. I don't want to be the guy who screams "Sanctuaries!", but this looks like it may limit the area that is fought over. In this example, Southern Amerish, Northern Indar, and Eastern Esamir will likely not see combat on 95% of days.

Giving each faction an UCB... sanctuary... that connects to 2/4 continents or 3/4 continents would give factions better options and open up more of the map, in my opinion.
                My guess is that they'd continue to rotate the warpgates around, so each side of the map would see a roughly equal amount of play over time.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                  My guess is that they'd continue to rotate the warpgates around, so each side of the map would see a roughly equal amount of play over time.
                  You mean you think they'll rotate which warpgate on the continent is the "home warpgate"?

Because that might work I suppose.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I suspect they'll not only do that, but occasionally rotate which faction gets which continent

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                      I suspect they'll not only do that, but occasionally rotate which faction gets which continent
                      I agree. They'd have to.

Comment

I disagree that they would rotate inside a continent which WG was held. Balance must be maintained and generally speaking each continent has advantaged and disadvantaged warpgates.

Indar's Northern WG is advantaged the most by territory and defense.

Esamir's North East WG is disadvantaged wholly by being between two hostile WGs, effectively cutting the whole South West map away from their domain.

Amerish's Southern WG is the most clearly advantaged in terms of territory.

I would assume the HOMETEAM would hold the advantaged WG on each continent.

======

I find more interesting the new Resource concept that Higby is suggesting. One resource now? Or do we go and utilize a three resource mechanic where each resource is in some volume to a vehicle. Also with Battle Islands being more concentrated in size force, and BF4 reinventing the Commander, maybe we will see more 'CO' esque abilities?

Comment

I don't think having the advantaged warpgate is that big a concern. For starters, I don't think SOE would admit or care that one warpgate might hold a perceived advantage or disadvantage.

But more importantly, in a continent-locking system, your home warpgate and indeed, home continent, already has a massive defensive bonus - as the enemy approaches, your own forces get locked out of more and more continents, to the point that once you have just your home continent, your entire force is fighting together, whereas your attackers have multiple frontline continents. Unless two factions start ganging up, I'd be very surprised to see any of the home warpgates encroached upon. This is my concern with a system like this, large portions of the home continents will not be used.

They should rotate the warpgates regularly, at the very least.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X