TG needs to be aggressive on the battlefield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG needs to be aggressive on the battlefield

I've been noticing a lot of the battles we have been doing are very slow paced for a fast action game. Now I’m no platoon leader but I have been a squad leader from time to time, and noticed there is too much micro-managing going on. I believe that people know how to fight and defend certain areas without somebody telling 4 squads to move up every 25 meters making it last 10-15 minutes just to get to 1 spot. Remember, there are no tickets being wasted like in the battlefield games, remember zerging a good strat for this game and the other factions use this a lot. The objective is to take the location on the battlefield with swift forces to keep the enemy off balance, if you slow the game down for your team, the enemy will be able to dig in and get reinforced and push us with ease and we will be off balance. This game is not like Arma or PR, and the tactics I have been seeing is taking way too long to take over an easy objective that can be taken over in 20-30 mins, not 1-2 hours. I have been playing with other non-TG squads and they have been very aggressive on attacking the enemy and being able to get tons of kills & certs along the way. But it seems that most of the TG battles I’ve been joining are slowed down and not able to make the push quickly enough that we get overrun and instead of providing resistance, we give up instead and head back to the warpgate to find an easier target.

Now I don’t mean to sound negative and I do love playing with a bunch of you guys, I do think we have very good tactics, teamwork & leadership in the community. It’s just; I believe TG is making it harder than it seems to where people are not having fun on a fast action FPS and using up too much time to where nobody is gaining experience and certs. I do know that I might get flak about this, probably a few negative remarks, and I know a few people are going to say then don’t play with TG squads if you don’t like the tactics, but I figured I’d throw it out there because it’s what I have been hearing every so often about why we not being aggressive on this game.

Re: TG needs to be aggressive on the battlefield

I would like to know specific instances of concern here. Most of us Platoon Leaders want feed back and know we don't live in a vacuum.

Also understand that there might be ulterior motives for maneuvers (or lack of) as well. Personally I think aggressive behavior on a Platoon Scale isn't enough when facing groups that regularly operate on the company level. Understand that the VSA operate on a grand campaign scale during most situations and a lot of the maneuvers are down to a science.

TG as a whole can only be responsible for so much. This is why I feel we must actively operate with other outfits regardless of their participation with the NCC. I personally really enjoyed us operating directly with the NC10 and would rather us operate with them directly than with just tenuously with the NCC.

Comment

I would like to know specific instances of concern here. Most of us Platoon Leaders want feed back and know we don't live in a vacuum.
      Few days ago we were attacking an amp station on Esamir. I was part of Armor Squad Delta during the assault, the first 10 mins we had a bunch of targets to take out, I was driving a AP Lightning taking out any Sunderers Magriders out. After there was no armor targets or turrets up and working, for about 40 minutes charlie squad (air) was flying around, delta squad waiting at squad way-point while alpha and bravo infantry squads were getting into position. Squad leader asked if we can advance up and take out some enemy armor, platoon leader said negative and to wait for alpha and bravo to get into position. That whole time we were waiting for 2 squads to form up, we didn't get any certs or kills. Few people left delta to go fight, rest of us were just chatting it up on squad chat. Alpha and bravo spent a good amount of time moving up every 20-40 meters to get into the amp station while the other 2 squads were not fighting. We took over the amp station in about 2 hrs total. For that whole 40 mins of moving 2 squads, NC was at 80% vanu at 20% at the amp station, right around the ended up to be about 50/50 right around the 2hr mark.

Today it doesn't take 4 squads to take out 1 gen at the amp station. When we got all the gens down, we were about to make a push into the main amp station, some people got through and shields came back up. The Vanu fixed 1 gen, could have easily sent a squad to take it down but instead we did a full retreat. I've been seeing a lot of turtle tactics which doesn't work too well for assaulting, unless its taking down a gen.

Comment

I know I haven't been on much - but Vitamin you've pretty much said everything that I have a problem with. We never seize the advantage when we have it, we're too slow to react, and we take the "tactical mindset" to such a minute, fine detail that it impedes fighting.

I've got no problem setting up a "defense" on a hill, except we stagnate there for too long, never advancing, until the threat is gone either by time and boredom or by some other force that comes along and pushes them off.

1 Platoon of 4 squads. If you're taking a 3 Way point, send A, B, and C to their respective, with D posting defense on a spawn room. Same with Bio Labs, until all are capped and we've got the bar moved to work on defending the spawn room.

For single point Caps, send 2 squads in, and send the other 2 away to another base. If one heats up, pull another squad off to reinforce.

If we're combined arms - awesome. Infantry cap the point, Air does CAP overhead or forward interdiction against enemies that might try and reinforce. Armor posts up around the base and either assists in containing the Spawn Room problem with the 2nd Squad (not defending the flag), or does the same as air and creates a forward line to stop incoming enemies.

This game isn't that difficult tactics wise when you realize the scope of who you're playing against. The pubbies we fight against aren't going to use tactics, and will just run into our foces headstrong to break them. If this is a problem, pull another squad off or send to reinforce or maneuver away from the main threat.

Randy and Al can attest - I'm usually the one when I do SL (hopefully soon again) asking to go in or just plain do something with my guys, probably more often then not being an annoying SL. Except for the fact we make things happen. Moving fast and often allows you to be where the enemy isn't expecting you. The moment you let them zero in, you're locked down and now its an uphill fight to regain the advantage.

Break -

Half the other problem is as a SL just rallying your squadmembers to you to move on an objective. If you've only got 8 of your 12 members, its a definite time sink trying to organize. If this is an issue, its not so much tactical employment as it is squad cohesion and composition. People not listening to you is what I find slows us down the most. Kick out those that aren't listening until you have your core squad created.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Originally posted by Serjikal View Post
          I know I haven't been on much - but Vitamin you've pretty much said everything that I have a problem with. We never seize the advantage when we have it, we're too slow to react, and we take the "tactical mindset" to such a minute, fine detail that it impedes fighting.

I've got no problem setting up a "defense" on a hill, except we stagnate there for too long, never advancing, until the threat is gone either by time and boredom or by some other force that comes along and pushes them off.

1 Platoon of 4 squads. If you're taking a 3 Way point, send A, B, and C to their respective, with D posting defense on a spawn room. Same with Bio Labs, until all are capped and we've got the bar moved to work on defending the spawn room.

For single point Caps, send 2 squads in, and send the other 2 away to another base. If one heats, up, pull another squad off to reinforce.

If we're combined arms - awesome. Infantry cap the point, Air does CAP overhead or forward interdiction against enemies that might try and reinforce. Armor posts up around the base and either assists in containing the Spawn Room problem with the 2nd Squad (not defending the flag), or does the same as air and creates a forward line to stop incoming enemies.

This game isn't that difficult tactics wise when you realize the scope of who you're playing against. The pubbies we fight against aren't going to use tactics, and will just run into our foces headstrong to break them. If this is a problem, pull another squad off or send D squad to go and reinforce.
          be good if we can have squads do multiple objectives instead of having all of them do 1 like take out 1 gen at a time, can have 3 take out 3 gens while one provides cover or whenever 1 squad needs assistance.

Comment

Oh my lord, I'm pulled in so many direction when I read a post like this. I hear parts of what I was preaching months ago. I hear parts of conversations I have in proxi with many members. I and do parts simply because of who I am.

This is a game of many players, some like the fast and the furious, and some like the snail approach to tactical genius. I like my action both ways at different times, but by far most of the time I am the "Rambo" style as Al has called me. I like taking Harrassers and taking out scores of armor because I like blowing stuff up. I could care less about certs or scores. Do what you love doing and those things will fall in place. Daddy and myself have been in a Harrasser and I can still hear him howling over the proxi, laughing his butt off as we wreck havoc on their armor. Booze my 'brother' and I have seen the wasted carnage of twisted metal and mangled bodies fall beneath our guns and tires. Spar my other brother from a different mother, with gunners in our harrassers have out flanked, out witted and out maneuvered the enemy while reducing their armor to the point they wished the harrasser was never introduced.

This my friends is what I meant by 'elite' when the concept was introduced several months ago and I was told that TG would never be 'elite'. Well the nay-sayers were wrong, we are getting 'elite'. TG is going through a metamorphoses, those of us who like the action fast are finding ways to make playing the game to our liking easier. TG members who like to make the game slower and take their time can't deny the affect the 'faster' guys have on the overall campaign.

I suggest that you adopt my style of playing, if you are in a platoon that you either find fundamentally different than the way you like to play, or that you disagree with the method of their 'vision' then drop out of it. Bottom line is that you aren't playing the game to make someone else happy, your playing it because you find a level of excitment that your comfortable with and want to continue playing in that manner. TG has many people in it, and as such you will find those individuals that like playing the game the way you like playing it. I have, but always remember that in the end you have to be effective. When you are effective then when you say "Can I pull a Harrasser", or kit different then the way they want you to (for me as a sniper/infil) they will welcome the suggestion.

Eventually I can see the division split between 2 platoons or more, some with the fast and furious squads and some with the leisure approach squads. Both good at what they do and both having squad members that enjoy being in the game and TG as a whole.

Something else I wanted to point out is BR, I'm proud to say that I'm a 63 now and hopefully by tomorrow will be a 64. Get in a squad with higher BR's and lower 'time playing' you'll find the guys your looking for, a lot of the squads are made of pubbies and not TG members. Everyone has to have a place to start, we all started this game at BR1 so respect has to be shown those that play the game and stuck with it. But if your looking for "action" and good game play, then you almost have to be a squad with higher BR's. Maybe one day we'll have squads exclusively made of BRx or higher. Personally I think it would give newer members something to strive for and they will learn the tactics and squad ethics quicker. As an example, I taught a VS sniper how to snipe one day.....he joined TG the next day.

Vitamin roll with me some time and you'll see what I mean, but I ask you and ask everyone in TG to introduce yourself to each other on this site and don't just try to 'friend' people in game. I hardly ever accept a friend invite in game that I haven't read a post they posted or talked to first.
            Last edited by Rageq3a; 07-11-2013, 03:40 AM.

Comment

I agree with Rage completely, this game is only as fast/slow as you want it to be. Just grab lead of a solo squad or entire platoon and say "folks, we're gonna go ham on the enemy today, and make things go BOOM!" or "folks, we need to approach each point with caution due to a lack in numbers, but I feel that tactics can repel them from each point." It's what I do, it's what Rage, Penny, Spar, and so many more TG members do. And if you don't like there usual style of gameplay that your leader does.... then leave, ill admit that a couple people lead in ways I don't like so I tend to avoid their squad so I can have a wee bit more fun. So its not the outfit at all, you simply need to take the time to find the team that thinks like you or similarly.

Oh and Rage congrats.... maybe ill be br 21 again ;)

Comment

From my point of view, there are a few options available to Outfit members that find the action too slow/fast.

1. As has been stated in a couple of posts here, start your own Squad/Platoon and run it how you see fit. If you want a good amount of our members to experience your style of play, I would suggest getting your squad started in the early evening.

2. Use our AAR sub-forum to critique the tactics and strategies of specific SL/PL's., Remember, keep it civil, as most SL/PL's welcome constructive criticism of their leading style but, would rather not hear, "MOAR CERTS!".

3. Speak with the SL/PL (proximity VoIP, /whisper, TS3) or send them a PM, in regards to your concerns.

Something else to consider: Many of our SL/PL's are NCO's in the Outfit and they have been directed to start focusing on training and mentoring our members. Part of what you're seeing, when it's taking time to get organized or to move squads into position, is that training in progress. This is meant to get our membership into shape, so to speak so, when the order comes to move into position/attack the CP/form up at the WG, our members will instinctively know what to do and to do it quickly.

sigpic

Comment

I agree we need more lightning fast squads. I have been mulling over doing fast attack squads now that my company is gone. I haven't been able to play much the last little while....BOOOOOO!!! If I am able I will be starting tonight.
                  My idea is to have squads full of people that are willing to change kits on a moments notice, push and retreat instantly, flank on command and know what this means. Fly when we needed, pull armour and harrassers, and to redeploy in seconds! Generally be a force to be reckoned with without needing huge numbers of players.

Something else I wanted to point out is BR, I'm proud to say that I'm a 63 now and hopefully by tomorrow will be a 64. Get in a squad with higher BR's and lower 'time playing' you'll find the guys your looking for,
                  I don't totally agree with this Rage. I am BR 56 right now with no membership or boost most of the time. If I had a membership and the XP gain I would most likely be closer to BR 80. So don't judge all skills by BR. It is only a starting point. :-)
                  sigpic

Comment

If your not leading you have to lead to understand what your style is that you like to play. This might not make sense to you but it does to me. If I'm rejoining your squad I don't care if your fast or slow it has to make sense to me.

You can't completely use real world tactics in this game when your dealing with a higher percentage of gamers. I say this because the attention span of a gamer I think is nothing to the discipline of a Soldier. But to make them come together the fast paced is the way togo.

On the slow end keeping everyone uniform and working with a larger group you want everything to go according to plan. And not take the battle using skills you don't practice or that seem unorganized. You want everyone in the roles they should be and that will help fasten the pace. If everyone in these slow platoons would have everything needed for their PL it would run faster. But remember everytime you join a TG Platoon its not gonna be the same people in the same squads working with each other everyday for hours on end. If that was the case I bet the speed would feel more natural. So we have to wait and see what happens :)

FUN FUN

Comment

If TG is doing a squad training then it should be in the TG description.......something like TiP for Training in Progress, so that the TG regulars don't join a training squad.

My point with BR ranking is that as stated the higher the BR the better the understanding of game mechanics and flow making for a faster game. Trust me when I say this I'm remembering when I was starting out and asked to pull a Sunder only to drive it in the wrong direction because I didn't know the way to the Squad way point.

These of course were just suggestions............last night Vitamin was in the squad I was in, I'm curious how he found the gameplay last night?

Comment

Currently the training is informal, therefore, no TiP descriptions.

We've hit a little stumbling block with getting TGU classes up and running but, it will happen.

In regard to the BR discussion: A player with a high BR may be very knowledgeable about the game and know how to speed up the pace. Or, that player may be less skilled and knowledgeable than the average player but, put in a massive amount of time into the game. Going even further, a player with a high BR could just be some player that farms certs/xp.

For me, BR doesn't amount to much, except to be an arbitrary levelling system that allows a player to feel that he/she is advancing in some fashion. By the way, I'm BR 50something.. and I've had the Alpha Squad Boost since the game went live. Does that mean that I'm not all that knowledgeable about the game?

That isn't meant to be a jibe against you, Rage, just a personal observation of mine after playing videogames since the 80's.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I remember colecovision too Mindkill, and the statement was meant as a general statement and not a specific. As far as your knowledgeability I personally don't know I haven't ever been in a squad SL'ed by you. But I assume that was more of a rhetorical question. But I am glad to see that the BR ranking doesn't mean much to you. To me on the other hand it does, just a personal observation.

Comment

well Rage, just think of what I did. I deleted my BR 38 (granted it wasn't crazy high) and now am back to 20, but that doesn't mean I'm any less skilled and even then, some folks like most in TG have characters on other servers that are higher ranked but play on mattherson as well.

Comment

just a personal observation of mine after playing videogames since the 80's.
                              Mindkill <------ You Old!!!!!!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...