No announcement yet.

My convoluted message on squad leading.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My convoluted message on squad leading.

Hello folks, this is my 2nd to last day before I have to send my laptop in and would like to relate some thoughts about Squad leading in general. First off, I would like to thank E-male, DaddyofThree23, Toddshooter, Mr. Jengles, RAGE3, Phaelah, BigGaayAl and many others for helping me so much in giving me suggestions, and most of all support. Without you guys supporting my back, squad leading would be rather unappealing.

Squad leading for me is a rather interesting experience for me. Leading a TG only squad usually results in a smooth experience. But when it becomes a public squad, things change a little. My age (15), I believe, is one of the main causes people dislike my squads. Today, in fact, I was blatantly told by a troublesome squad member "You sound like your fifteen, I refuse to listen to anything you say". I thank those that do not look at age when joining a squad but rather efficiency and of course, how much fun you'll have joining this squad.

Another thing some people dislike my squads is my aversion to profanity. I usually give members a warning, followed by a removal from the squad if they keep continuously swearing. I understand some people do not think twice before they drop a f-bomb, but I believe that such language can be used elsewhere and should not be used in video games to insult people or vent frustration.

"But it's a war game! It's supposed to be realistic, what are we supposed to say, 'crap' or 'darn'?". I hear this argument a lot, but a video game's purpose is for you to have fun. If your to the point of swearing obscenely in frustration or hatred towards others, you probably are not having fun and most likely shouldn't be playing that certain video game.

Another thing you should note about my sl'ing is that I LOVE feedback, both positive and negative. If you think I can do something better please send me a PM or request coms in platoon during a quiet moment.

Now onto squad leading/platoon leading itself. IT'S HARD! I frequently find my self at a lost for words as to what to do during a big battle or what to do after one. So much stuff going on, so many people looking at you for what do to, and too many options! "We need air support, enemy air to the NW!" cries a member. "Copy" I say "alpha 2 & 6, knowing you have AA maxes, pull them and take down that air". "We don't have the resources Pen" They respond. "O.K then, for those who can, pull heavies with AA and take down that liberator!" I earnestly reply. "...." Silence. Seconds later someone says, "I don't think any of us have Hawk's/Phoenix's"

This is just one of the many problematic situations I commonly come across. At that point I'm stumped and unsure of what to do. People keep looking for an answer, and when I fail to deliver, many get frustrated and leave. I don't blame them and completely understand why they leave.

To sum up, Sl'ing and even more Pl'ing is hard, that is all.

If you've read my post all the way to this point, much thanks. If you've skipped to the last paragraph, I don't blame you. I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to prove but might as well put out my thoughts on sl'ing. Till next time, Agent Penandpennyman says Hi and Goodbye.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Re: My convoluted message on squad leading.

We all started somewhere and ageism is one of the worst excuses for a lack of respect. The inability to have an opened mind and to respect people based on their actions, and not on your prejudiced assumptions, is one of the greatest hallmarks of immaturity. What is ridiculous is that the pitch of a voice is the only way one can even attempt to form such preconceptions. I knew a kid who was 16 or so and his voice was so deep that he was often thought to be 30-40 (while online).

On to the meat of the subject:

As an SL/PL of a group that isn't regulated at all it is beyond you to expect anyone to have anything but stock equipment. Being confronted with poorly equipped troops is troubling but it should never stop you or cause you to second guess yourself. Auraxis' battlefield is an ocean with ebbs and tides and crashing waves. Its all ephemeral and nothing lasts (beyond personal achievement) for too long. As such that Air Scourge should be considered a punch and if you don't have a counter punch roll with it and adapt, and your troops need to know you, and the whole of the platoon, are limited in your actions and abilities.

Don't get hung up on deficiencies of troops or an immediate situation. That Air Scourge wont be there forever or you wont be alive forever. You can't ever have all the answers that is why this is a team game.

Comment

Pen

I remember only a few months ago when you started with us. There were some complaints about your age and some concerns with your comms. Now look at you. You are one of our most active players and I think a very good squad leader. I have been in your squads on numerous occasions and found the experience very enjoyable.

You are a valued member of this community and if anyone in your squad is giving you a hard time or not following orders. KICK THEM!! And please let the Admins know about it via the COA forum if it is a |TG| member. There is no excuse for the type of behavour you are describing in a |TG| squad.

Keep up the good work!! Todd
      sigpic

Comment

Hey Penny, as you know I was there yesterday when the jerk piped up and said that about your age..........do what I did, tell him "If you don't like it then leave". Always give them the option to leave first, if they don't and they persist then kick them. They will have a greater degree of respect for you in the future if you follow that routine.

Decide what is the best path to follow, if your unsure then ask some of the other TG members in the squad what they think. Bottom line is that if your are in charge it's your decision. So if you have multiple options presented by your request for ideas, then chose the one you think is best and stick with your decision. You have a reason for leading the squad to an objective, and a reason for approaching the objective in the manner you do. You don't have to explain your decision but be ready to explain on occasion when asked by a TG member. They will respect you and your decision and may be willing to offer advice or a counter-point to the decision. But bottom line still remains.........it's your decision.

As far as the cussing, I made a mistake yesterday and dropped the f-bomb. My mistake was 2 fold............first I thought I was in proximity and secondly, I was frustrated by the lag and how quickly we were shot. I realized the mistake when I heard dead silence on the comms, and quickly apologized to everyone. I'm not a "cusser" by nature, (although when I was in the military, you wouldn't have known it) and I try not to get frustrated, but it happens. If someone let's out the occasional profanity then understand the situation, they may be very frustrated with the game and need to step away from it for a few. Possibly give them a different objective for a while to get them out of the situation as they may not recognize the problem themselves. If you have the squad member (usually pubbies) that just let's out a stream of profanity, then usually either they have poor self control or they are trying to "blend in" by making others recognize their veneered maturity. Either way tell them "this is a no profanity squad". Nice and simple, if they continue then kick them.

I for one don't want to listen to a bunch of snot nosed kids, trying to beat their chest and play with the big boys by smearing their foul mouth over the comms. You want my respect then prove yourself on the battlefield, follow the comms, and act mature and stop trying to sound mature. By the way Penny, you don't fall in the "snot nosed kids" category, you got my respect.

With regard to the actionable circumstance you were in, there is a technique that we don't seem to employ very much that is very effective. Send the troops to a flanking position, wait until the ESF have scouted the position and the armor has rolled through (see my posting under ToddShooter's recon post), when the infantry comes, collapse the squads back into the objective to either re-take the point(s) or engage to secure. Remember ESF's can't take a point, armor can't take a point.........only a warm body standing next to the point can flip it. That warm body is the real target.

Watch the game from an over view and you will see the rhythm of the game, personally I think everyone realizes the rhythm but they chose to engage every aspect of the flow instead of just waiting to engage the parts that they can have real impact on. When you get your laptop, hook up with me and we'll go reconing and I'll show you what I mean.
        Last edited by Rageq3a; 07-17-2013, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Great work Pen!

You are why the TG community stands as an exceptional community. We have created an environment that can turn a willing 15-year-old into a capable leader of men and women. I think nothing testifies to the success of TG and its Primer more than an individual such as yourself.

We have seen a number of other young players fail in the TG PS2 where you have succeeded (no names, please).

EVERY leader worth their salt faces uncertainty and will admit to being overwhelmed. When I find myself overwhelmed or uncertain I tend to do one of two things: hold position or look for a small step forward. Do not hesitate to ask a squad to hold an area for a few minutes. Equally so, ask a capable squad member to find a forward position that offers cover (delegate, delegate, delegate).

Act with confidence, respect your team, and assert your authority.

When in doubt, consult your squad mates, consult your SLs -- consult, then command with confidence.

And let no one tell you that you are not fit to lead.
          sigpic

Comment

I was much like you when I joined, I was young (14 I think, i'm 18 now) and just got into the groove of TG. The difference is that I had a deep voice for a 14 year old, so people thought i was like 25 :p You are certainly mature from the tid-bits I've heard you speak in game. Just the fact you understand the frustrations of leadership, but are willing to keep going attests to that fact. Most of us here are more than willing to help you with anything we can. TG isn't just a community, but a family.

As for the profanity, it is very much looked down upon in TG comms, and usually it will be called out if repeated.
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Penny your headed in the right direction. First your playing this game because you want to have fun. And your role now that you are part of TG is very important as you learn and grow with us. You know the rules and you know that you want fun. With confidence and already for what you know use that and the TG community will have your back.

I don't care if its Mindkill cursing you warn him and take the steps to remove him if he becomes a problem player ( He's probably been drinking again and needs to goto sleep :). We have your back on this and if you join our squads you have that same right. If I catch it I will kick a player that is going to make anyone in my squad uncomfortable under the guidelines of our rules. Even though my squads are run loose they have no right to disrespect.

As far as you getting people to pull what you want I have given up as not to slow the group down. So I tried something else .

After you asked for all those classes and got no reply make sure to stop what your doing and make sure everyone has your attention maybe just by asking can everyone hear you. Then ask again what you need pulled. If still no reply but you really need that air down make some or all of your squad pull back to either a flanking base or a base well into friendly territory to pull anti air vehicles. If your squad is still not listening you have done everything you can I would have to disband and start a squad that will follow your orders. But I think when you pull them off the line people will step up because you are taking them out of battle and if that's all they want they can join another group you don't need them. You have to be assertive in anything you do while leading. Even if its the wrong call you have to let everyone know your in control.

And again I still think this game is still very young. We all have those moments where we think we shouldn't be leading. Could be a bad day or just 1 lousy player. But you know this penny because you have been leading that when everyone is there helping your plan become a success, you feel brilliant and that is a great feeling :)

Good luck and keep learning :)

FUN FUN

Comment

Penny,

I am posting weeks later because I have been taking a break from the game. Partly I have been busy with work but it was also leadership burnout from SLing and PLing all the time. We have got a lot of new members here at TG coming in from this title. Many of them just want to play and are not taking that next step to contribute and lead. But you are. I would take one person like you over 10 or even 20 of those people that just take and take and do not contribute. It is because of people like you that the TG community carries on. You are part of the solution, not part of the problem. Please do not be discouraged by idiots and malcontents.

On that note, I have always tried to encourage people to step up and lead. And I have always had little patience for hecklers and disruptive players. I will give them a warning, or suggest that if they don't like it to step up and lead. That usually shuts them up. But if they continue, they will be gone. I will not have good, contributing players like yourself disturbed in your enjoyment of game play in the TG way by knuckleheaded detractors like that.

One general leadership tip I will give, tone and confidence are very important, in virtual leadership as well as real life. If you are not sure what to do, don't freak out and embarrass yourself. lol Emale makes good points about sometimes asking for advice from other experienced players. But in the end, decide and act confidently. Garthra makes this and some other great points in his excellent thread: Principles of Squad/Platoon Leadership.

Spar brings up a point about doing a group up when you feel your guys are not listening. This is something I have been doing for a long time, I know EMale is also a big proponent. Ask everyone to report to a certain spot (out of combat, such as a spawn room) for a muster. Tell them anyone not there in 30 seconds is going to be removed. Repeat yourself a couple times, then start kicking people. Be friendly about it, but let them know you mean business. Before you kick, tell them they are welcome to rejoin but must follow orders. I also like to say, look guys, I don't mind leading but I am not going to do it if no one is going to follow orders. This gets most people's attention. If not, I start kicking and have no qualms about it. After you kick a couple guys, it's amazing how much better everyone listens up. lol Sometimes I will be heard in platoon explaining to the PL that my squad is not combat effective and that I am taking the time to do this. No matter how pressing the battle, you might as well take yourself out of the fight as you are not being effective anyway. A bunch of guys streaming in to the objective in ones and twos is not a squad anyway, it's just a bunch of zerglings (kekeke). And that's not what we do here at TG.

In general, in my real life business as well as life and in game, I take the approach of "train a knowledge problem, but terminate an attitude problem." That's why I come down harder and quicker on malcontents but have patience for people who are trying but may be new to the game or something. Because there is a difference.

Just keep doing what you have been doing and don't let the idiots get to you, there are too many of them out there! :)
                "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Pen, you are great. I have enjoyed your leadership. I have been very distracted from the game recently, so I don't know if you are back in it yet, but please don't be discouraged. You are a very valuable asset to the community. And, a word to the cursing; just scream it in your house. You don't have to key a comms button!

Comment

I apologize for the dual offense (late response and bringing up old thread) but I would like to thank all of you for the awesome (yes, awesome, I'm not going to a thesaurus to pick something better :D) feedback you've given me. If it was not for Tactical Gamer I would have quit PS2 a long time ago.

And just a quick update: I am eagerly waiting the return of my laptop (should be here by Monday) so I can once again play PS2 but until then, I'm on a Dell Latitude (help me).

("Two sentence response to dozens of paragraphs of greatness? Pen, your a jerk.")

^ Yes, probably

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
                      I'm on a Dell Latitude (help me).
                      I have worked with these before, i feel your pain
                      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed