X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scout Radar

As of GU 13

Scout Radar
    Old Description “Enemies near the vehicle will appear on the map of nearby allies for up to 25 meters.”

New Description: “Detects hostile enemies near the vehicle and reveals them on the mini-map for all nearby allies. The vehicle must be occupied for scout radar to function.”
    • Scout Radar now detects cloaked infiltrators, like the recon tool
    • Scout Radar now only functions if the vehicle is occupied
    • For the Flash version:
      Scout Radar range increased from 25/50/75/100 to 40/60/80/100
    My Feel-o-meter:

Before GU 13;
    [SAD] -------{}-- [HAPPY]

After GU 13;
    [SAD] --{}------- [HAPPY]

Who's gonna be the dedicated radar guy?
    They could have at least give some incentive like 5xp for each detected enemy killed..... or something.
    It matters not what letters or numbers come before my name, I'll always be 1stMIP.

sigpic

"It is all about being a teamplayer. Give a kitchen sink to a teamplayer and he'll find a way to support his squad with it."
    - John_CANavar (Marshall & Founder of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon)

Re: Scout Radar

It's a decidedly powerful tool that is relatively cheap, easy to hide, and has no direct counter as it is unknown if a force is utilizing the scouting device. Forcing the benefit to be had so long as the vehicle is piloted seems fair.

I'm bummed out that the Proximity Radar detects only motion now.

Comment

The only 'real' difference I see here is the scout radar now reveals the enemy to 'nearby allies', whereas before it only revealed the enemy to the occupants within the vehicle. As for the proxi radar speaking as a sniper/infil I'm glad that now I won't be detected except when I squeeze the trigger.

hmm......does this mean that a Reaver pilot with scout radar will see a moving sea of red dots? And will the red dots fade in and out to infantry as a reaver pilot flies over? Ought to be onteresting.

Comment

@Ytman Well the hard counter was your own scout radar, they are just as easy to get for both factions, if people are going into battle without scout radar and/or not taking out any flashes that shown up on said radar or the mini map then they are doing it wrong :)
        Ever since I realised how important it was to have a scout radar up, opposition radars have been one of my top priorities to take out. I should mention that scout radar is only available on two vehicles, the flash and the reaver, so they arent exactly hard to take down.

@Rage I think you may be getting confused about the type of radar, scout radar has always revealed nearby enemies to allies (it's only available on the flash and Reaver), it is proximity radar that only reveals enemies to the occupants of the vehicle it is equipped on (which is available on the Sunderer, Vanguard, Harasser and Lightning). This has not changed.
        However Proximity radar has been changed to work like the infils recon tool, in that it now only detects moving players but will now detect cloaked infils too. It also "pings" much faster now.

read:
        Proximity and Scout Radar Changes

Proximity Radar
        Old Description “Hostiles near the vehicle are revealed on the minimap for all vehicle occupants.”

New Description “Detects the movement of hostile soldiers near the vehicle and reveals them the mini-map for all vehicle occupants.”

Proximity Radar range increased from 20/30/40/50 to 30/35/40/50
        Proximity Radar now updates every ˝ second instead of 2 seconds
        Proximity Radar now detects cloaked infiltrators, like the recon tool
        Proximity Radar now only detects moving players, like the recon tool

Scout Radar
        Old Description “Enemies near the vehicle will appear on the map of nearby allies for up to 25 meters.”

New Description: “Detects hostile enemies near the vehicle and reveals them on the mini-map for all nearby allies. The vehicle must be occupied for scout radar to function.”

Scout Radar now detects cloaked infiltrators, like the recon tool
        Scout Radar now only functions if the vehicle is occupied
        For the Flash version:
        Scout Radar range increased from 25/50/75/100 to 40/60/80/100
        It matters not what letters or numbers come before my name, I'll always be 1stMIP.

sigpic

"It is all about being a teamplayer. Give a kitchen sink to a teamplayer and he'll find a way to support his squad with it."

Comment

Well its not like its an unbalanced change Finestyle. I think it is a change for the better. Kind of ridiculous for the ability of 20 Flashes to be feeding Radar images while unattended.

Comment

Thanks Finestyle, I've had them both for a long time on both my flash and Harrasser and haven't given them much thought since. I tell every sniper I train to always take the flash with radar rather than rely on the recon tool because it's reliable, last longer, and has a greater distance to detection of enemy that come looking for you.

So now as a cloaker/sniper we no longer have a tool that is reliable. The recon tool is a waste of programming.

Comment

I don't claim to be a good sniper or infiltrator but I'd have to say that the Recon Tool is pretty much on par with other abilities given to other classes. It certainly has its limitations but, and now specifically without the ability to rely on a ATV Radar, its benefits do grant good deal. The only ultimate problem could be its really small ammo amount but by the time you get to level 5 you've got a pretty capable tool. Consider that infiltrators can hack resupply terminals and a constant supply isn't uncommon.

If anything these changes have made the recon detect device more important.

Again did no one feel that auto-detecting hostiles for 100m wasn't a bit too powerful?

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                Again did no one feel that auto-detecting hostiles for 100m wasn't a bit too powerful?
                /me quietly raises his hand

And as Ragequit pointed out, it did make the recon tool pointless in a lot of situations.

I wonder... did this change effect the Scout Radar on the ESF as well? Granted, it's a fair bit more expensive to leave lying around, but I've seen it done...
                Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                  Well its not like its an unbalanced change Finestyle. I think it is a change for the better. Kind of ridiculous for the ability of 20 Flashes to be feeding Radar images while unattended.
                  Yes I agree, I never intended to insinuate that I felt it was an unbalanced change, in fact any change to the flash or any other NS weapon/vehicle is completly balanced since all factions have equal opportunity to acquire the same asset. Regardless of how you view the actual changes to the radar, my point is there was always a counter that you had access to, it's just that most people chose not too.

Also, you wouldn't believe how many times I have asked people to place radar flashes around various points on a large base to get radar coverage, and how little response I got. Equally, you wouldn't believe how many people I have seen completely ignore an enemy flash when it's on the mini map for all to see.

Either way, scout radar is still a powerful tool, SL's and PL's just need to consider how they will implement their use now someone has to man it for the radar to work.

Originally posted by Rageq3a
                  So now as a cloaker/sniper we no longer have a tool that is reliable. The recon tool is a waste of programming.
                  Well the higher lvl recon darts last longer, but they now ping every half of a second (it was every 2 seconds previously) so that is a nice buff. And as YT said, with the radar changes they will be more important now.

Originally posted by Strait Raider
                  Did this change effect the Scout Radar on the ESF as well?
                  They should be across the board changes to the radar systems, so yes.

sigpic

Comment

I play the sniper/infil class more than any other class and I can attest to the fact that the recon tool was more or less useless..........if you actually use the tool instead of reading about what it's suppose to do, then you'd realize that the tool only works about 50% of the time.........so you dart it out and then nothing, no ping, no timer, no nothing regardless of how many 'darts' you have. The flash radar was consistent every time and it had a greater reach than the darts do. Again I have to say that I'm disappointed that now the radar doesn't work unless your actually on the flash.

Comment

Yeah that's a frustrating bug with the dart, it used to work perfectly. Not sure when the bug found it's way in and come to think about it I haven't heard many complaints, unless I've missed some threads somewhere over on the PS2 forum.

sigpic

Comment

I think people have just gotten tired of complaining about it, just the other day I went through 3 darts with all of them showing nothing. And it's an issue with 1 tool used by a class that most people don't use, so I think that SOE doesn't have it on a very high priority.

Comment

I've gotten more than a few hours with the kit and never noticed funny business. Is this bug what happens when you fire the dart and see a 'bubble' on the minimap without any pinging? If so I always just thought it was a display bug not a completely useless dart.

The Infiltrator is going to see a class revamp soon so hopefully they'll get some QA passes on that tool (and maybe some new ones). I've always found it odd that the Flash is the only ground vehicle with a Scout Radar and with such a huge radius.

To bring up a point that was brought up earlier; many people don't have Certs put into these vehicles. TG as an outfit does not follow the practice of even suggesting general Cert Upgrades for roles; rather its just what you feel like upgrading. I personally haven't invested in my flash one iota; not because the Scout Radar isn't great, it was and still is, just because I'm not familiar with the craft and don't enjoy soloing in a squishy flash.

Personally I think we could afford some compartmentalization within our outfit. Something on the level of In-Game In House Squads; groups that share the same general playstyles and want to be with like minded individuals. (For example an Armor focused Compartment, an Air Focused Compartment, that Harasser Mad Max Fun Time Only Compartment, that RECCE compartment) Within each compartment would be a greater incentive to coordinate Certifications and Roles.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X