No announcement yet.

Hossin to be on PTS server this week.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Hossin to be on PTS server this week.

https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/362259576143364098

Re: Hossin to be on PTS server this week.

WOOP WOOP WOOP

Do we have screenshots of Hossin yet? I do hope they've taken the swampiness to the extreme. Hopefully it's not just Amerish but darker green. :P

I do wonder if we'll see some new terrain mechanics come along with Hossin, because perhaps the most important thing about swampy terrain is that it highly limits mobility. Will we see infantry moving at 3/4 speed on marsy ground? half-speed in waist-high water? 1/4 speed in thick swamp up to their armpits?!?! Mobility debuffs to vehicles, especially wheeled vehicles...

I want to see infantry running through the intertwined branches of massive trees, duking it out in the sky to avoid the deathtrap below. Entire armored companies getting torn apart because they foolishly tried to push through that measly TG platoon in the swamp, the platoon that disappeared from sight only to ambush from above with rockets and C4!

...yeah, I'm a bit excited.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Nice! How big of a download/ install is it to do PTS?

Comment

It is available on the test server now. :):) 1.5GB

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...le-now.144415/

Only the central area is available according to this post.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...-go-go.144416/

Comment

Just checked it out today, nice new continent a ton of cover for infantry. The huge trees make ESF dog fights difficult except for those at altitude. Breaker pod strafing will be almost non-existent now. Harrasser runs are gonna be lots of fun as there are a ton of places to hiding.........even inside of logs. Think Indar/Amerish except the Amerish part is on steriods. Lots of water and flora. Don't go off the bridge at the dam though......you will be killed (I did it just to see what would happen).

Just wanted to add.........there are STILL tk'er on the test server, but most of the enemy are just checking it out also and will leave you alone for the most part.

Raider.........swampiness to the extreme.

Comment

Sweet, new planet = new reasons for new camo. Woot!

Comment

I've given it a quick look. There is some NICE terrain there for a savvy commander to take advantage of. There are chokepoints and firing positions everywhere, and it's largely close-quarters. You've got entire off-road areas where only infantry can really go, and those tend to be twisty, branching close-quarters areas that'll lead to some lively infantry fights.

Using vehicles on Hossin is going to be challenging. I think any anti-infantry job is going to REQUIRE thermal optics just to be able to pick them out. It's close range, and it's a noisy, vertical environment. Our standard "hold the armour off to the side and provide fire support" tactic will be tough to employ due to all the cover, except for a few more open areas of the map, and we might have to shift to more of an attrition heavy, close quarters focused vehicle strategy. Emphasize anti-infantry weapons like the default lightning guns and HEAT/HE rounds, use smaller vehicles like harassers/flashes, and especially make sure that secondary guns on tanks are manned and loaded for anti-infantry (kobalt with thermals?) Hossin is going to be an infantry continent, and armour will need to react accordingly.

Air combat will be interesting. Flying low is challenging, and you'll be able to break pursuit and evade enemies if you're skilled enough to avoid plowing into a tree. Liberators will have difficulty firing into the foliage (again, thermals would help). It might be impossible for Galaxies to land effectively in a lot of places, as well.

I am VERY interested to see this continent live, and see if I'm at all correct on any of this.

Comment

Sounds like it will be a light assault's paradise. ;)

Comment

Depending on the spacing of the trees and cover, may be a great place to employ the battle Gal. I love to fly in tight quarters very low to the ground and pound infantry with the mortars. If Libs can't operate in there, even better.

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
                  Get out of here, you dirty TR pig dog! :icon_bigg
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                    Get out of here, you dirty TR pig dog! :icon_bigg
                    Ha Ha Ha you silly smurf, here are some screenshots I took, I gottsta say this continent is looking amazing and feels very spooky at night, going to be some epic infantry fights on this one.

Comment

Hossin looks beautiful. Just taking a hike around the northlands now. If you come out to the test server don't bother getting a vehicle, it's nicer to walk.

...this place is going to be hell when it goes live. Time to break out the jungle cam, it's Vietnam 2.0
                      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Randy, that's an interesting thought. The AA in there is probably going to be pretty handicapped, and given the general difficulty in using air assets in the thicker parts of the jungle, less people will be pulling AA at all. If you can fly a battle gal in those tight quarters, that could be a REALLY nasty surprise, especially given that from the infantry's perspective you'll be basically hovering over all the low walls that are restricting their movement AND making it difficult to fire rockets at you!

Liberators might find a lot of Hossin inhospitable. At high altitudes they'll have trouble seeing through the trees, and at low altitudes their gunners may suffer from the extremely small firing arc of the howitzer. The bulldogs on a Galaxy, on the other hand, are pretty much completely free to aim wherever they want, so the Galaxy could provide fire support from 10m off the ground if it wanted to. It's an interesting idea.

Comment

Yeah, that's sort of what I was hoping. Could potentially be awesome. :)
                          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Personally I'm looking forward to podding in and finding a nice cozy spot on a tree branch......lay out the blanket, open the picnic basket, bring a straw to chew on, break out the extra mag and take head shot after head shot all day. If the snipers thought Indar was fun, well..............

I just went to Hossin again this morning to check it out with regards to air strikes. There are some bases assessable to air strikes even with the trees and terrain. But I've also seen trees 280m in height, with a flight ceiling of 500m. Also there are SOME bases that have a shield dome above them, I don't know if these can be taken down or not. These shields can not be fired through.
                            Last edited by Rageq3a; 08-03-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

There are some sweet sniper spots all over the map but this is well balanced with trees and such obscuring the line of sight.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X