Squad Beacon Terminology - Active / Destroyed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Beacon Terminology - Active / Destroyed

Clarity in communication is always important and I've noticed a small hiccup when letting your squad know whether your beacon is placed or destroyed. Personally, I have tended towards "beacon is up" and "beacon is down", while others say "down" as they place it at their feet. This can be confusing, although they both make sense and I've mixed them up before.

Thus, I suggest we all use "Active" and "Destroyed".

It should go without saying, this is a reaction to the community as a whole. I've been meaning to post this for a while.
    Last edited by MrJengles; 08-03-2013, 11:07 AM. Reason: Thank you for the edit.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Re: Squad Beacon Terminology - Active / Destroyed

I agree. I've even caught myself using the terms interchangeably!

Comment

Dear lord yes. I am 100% guilty of saying that the beacon is down. By which I mean it's up. Oh, no, wait, the enemy found it, it's down again.

Comment

Agreed. I have both complained of this and been guilty of it. Good thinking!
        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Nice! Yeah maybe we should attempt to standardize some more things as well.

H-Bar/V-Bar are nice quick terms for shield gens.

Comment

One note that no one has mentioned is how it's often not clear whether a SL is saying that their beacon is active (or has been taken out) OR if an enemy beacon was just destroyed.

For instance, say we just got to a base and someone says that there's a VS beacon on a hill that is hard to reach. Two minutes later, you hear "Beacon is down". Does that mean that your squad has just gotten their beacon placed, or does it mean that the enemy beacon that was noted a few minutes ago was destroyed? It's all in the context, and the context is hard to find most of the time. That's when I'll ask "friendly or enemy beacon?"

We could definitely use some SOPs on this.

Comment

Yeah, good call Jengles. This thought has crossed my mind during play, but kudos to you for making a post on it. Add what BT said, and it becomes squad (or enemy) beacon active (or destroyed). Very short and clear. I like it. I smell a new SOP in the works. :)

All we really need to do is start doing it (and promoting it's use) in game, and it will catch on.
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Good call indeed.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse