Good news to the machines of old.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news to the machines of old.

Hello and welcome TG, goodness is upon us. As you may have noticed, PS2 is one of the most resource demanding games on the market right now. Optimization is abysmal at best, and I can say with fair certainty that most players do not achieve 60 fps (if not 30, like me) in large battles. However, it seems that the developers realize this is a huge issue and are actually WORKING to get it fixed. This may be empty words to appease the crowd, but I wouldn't be throwing words like

" but it will have a HUGE impact on physics “hitches” and anyone with 2-4 cores will see potentially massive increases in frame rate when in a big battle." (p 11)

and

"We are actively optimizing the minimap and hud to reduce per-frame time to as little as 10% of what it currently is." (p 15)

if that were the case.

Link to OMFG (Operation: Make Faster Game): https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...r-game.150282/

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Re: Good news to the machines of old.

When I first saw OMFG, Operation: Make Faster Game wasn't the first thing that came into my mind. I have a feeling that the programmers probably feel that way to.

Comment

The programmers are probably thinking "WOOHOO! Finally, we can refactor all that old code without our producers smacking us upside the head!"

The QA team is probably thinking "Wait, they're overhauling WHAT now?!"

Comment

What QA team? :D
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Those would be the guys with a pyramid of mountain dew cans beside their desks and a fevered, tortured look in their eyes. If you're having trouble finding them, they might be the ones rocking back and forth in the corner.

Comment

The joke is: supposedly most of the folks SOE recently laid off were QA. In fact, weren't you one of the ones to point that out?
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The game ran pretty bad when it launched, and it progressively got better over the first 6 months. I think they did pretty good, for the sheer scale of the game. There is a lot of underlying stuff happening in the background, that your CPU has to deal with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X