Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't bother with those new cosmetic lights...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't bother with those new cosmetic lights...

Alright, some of them look a bit neat, but I was taking a peek at them in the VR and I noticed a few things.

#1 they don't add any actual lighting effect. Like Lumifiber, there's only a bright colored texture applied to the vehicle with no radiant effect applied. This applies to all the new cosmetics with lights on them. - Sundie bumpers, sundie light bars, sundie roof rack, and harasser bull bars.

#2 Several of them don't even light up at all. I'm not sure if this is just a bug they haven't addressed yet or not, but the Harasser bull bars that get extra lights don't even get a texture applied to them when they light up. Also the new Sunderer roof rack with attached side floodlights doesn't have the floodlights light up.

#3 The Sunderer 'boar' exterior kit appears to overlap the origin of the headlight effect (from the driver's perspective) and because of that the sides of the bumper are lit up when the lights are on. (here you can see that the light effect origin is nowhere near the headlights)

I'm really a bit disappointed, I was kind of excited to see these work. (maybe even give a half-decent range to them? I want to be able to jack deer in my Harasser, thank you very much.)

...in another interesting discovery, have you ever noticed that the driver/passenger of a vehicle sees a different projection of the light effect than someone not in that vehicle. Try it yourself! Park a sundie in front of a rock and note where the two patches of light are, then get out of said Sundie and notice the single, wide splotch of light. (or no visible light at all, if you parked too close to the rock) I thought that was neat and surprising. You can also observe on foot how far the source of the light effect is from the actual headlights.

My money's on that being a performance thing. High and low-fidelity lighting effects for each vehicle, but only one high-fidelity effect is ever rendered at a time. My GPU finds their lack of faith disturbing. It would be neat if after O:MFG they changed this to say "closest 5 vehicles get hi-fi lighting"
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: Don't bother with those new cosmetic lights...

What's likely happening here is that the "cockpit" view of various vehicles doesn't line up with the actual vehicle, When you're inside the vehicle the actual vehicle (and effects) don't render at all, and you just get the interior model displayed. I wouldn't be surprised if they were different, either because of an oversight or some design/visual issue that cropped up when they were properly in sync.

Comment

lighting effects in the game have always been a bit iffy. Like how if you sit on the back seat of a flash the shadow doesn't show you on the back but it shows the driver.

Comment

I wasn't planning on bothering with them. I mean, NTTIAWWT.... :D
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I would much rather bother with some new cosmetic camouflage that actually camouflages.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X