Changes Afoot in NCC; NCC Flag Contest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Changes Afoot in NCC; NCC Flag Contest

Those who are involved in NCC (and/or Command channel in game) may have noticed that Dzire and CML have been less active lately. I just learned (through the NCC forums) that Dzire (founder of CML and of NCC) has moved on to another game. He did an excellent job in setting up the founding principles of the NCC and nursing it through it's infancy to where it is today. But he will be stepping aside, and currently discussions are underway on the NCC forums WRT the future of the NCC.

One of the subjects that has been discussed is the creation of an NCC flag. Therefore all NCC outfits have been asked to put out a call to all of their artistic / media savvy members for the creation of a new NCC flag. So, I am... :)

If you don't already know, here are the founding principles of the NCC:

1. Neutrality is key. There is NO commander of the NCC, and there NEVER will be.

2. Every outfit has a say in the NCC, whether 1000 members or 10. Everyone's opinion is important and worthy of consideration. Solicit and apply useful feedback, you may learn something new as well.

3. All attitudes are checked at the door. Focus on the teamís goal, not individual or outfit bragging rights.

4. Respect all other Outfits. Whether this is in game or out of it, respect goes a long way to developing lasting friendships between our Outfits.

5. Outfits in the NCC are there to support each other when possible. HOWEVER, every leader must understand that it may not always be possible or practical for some outfits to redirect the entirety of their forces in an effort to support another Outfit. Some outfits will have outfit events, planned training, community events.. the list goes on. These outfits operate individually and can choose to do anything without repercussion, whether formal or informal.
    I believe it is important to understand the coalition nature of the NCC before beginning to design any flag.

In this vein, our very own YTman suggested something along the lines of Benjamin Franklin's Join or Die Flag way back in Dec of last year (this thread has recently been revived due to the recent pending changes in NCC). Personally, I like the idea presented in the Benjamin Frankiln flag that we must all fight together or die alone, but the text "join or die" may give the wrong impression. Someone good with photoshop maybe make it say "fight together or die alone" along with changing the colors to NC yellow and blue? And of course change the letters to the tags of the major involved outfits in NCC.

I'm just making suggestions re: basing something off that particular flag, but you are of course free to go off in a completely different creative direction if you so choose. Let's start posting up some ideas and perhaps rough sketches (or even finished works in this thread, for later submission to NCC. My only real request is that the flag somehow makes a good representation of the core beliefs of the NCC.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: Changes Afoot in NCC; NCC Flag Contest

I dunno about the flag having a short list of outfits. That sounds like a recipe for unnecessary drama.

Why not play up the Freedom Fighter / Rebel aspect of the NC? (No, no Dixie flags, although I'd kill for a dixie horn on my harasser...)

Think about your historic freedom fighters - The Taliban, The Contras, The United States, The Viet Cong, The IRA... Think of the symbols of rebellion.

What symbols can we use to go along with that ideology while still conveying the connectivity of the coalition?
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

heres something i put together while bored at work.. its nothing fancy just an idea for someone to use i guess http://www.flickr.com/photos/5277683...in/photostream

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
        I dunno about the flag having a short list of outfits. That sounds like a recipe for unnecessary drama.
        Yes, this thought had occurred to me as well. Also, the list of active outfits will certainly change over time.
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Ghostshooter. I like it but most non Americans won't want an Eagle :-)
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, now if you put the Eagle capturing a beaver, the Canucks will be right at home. :-)

Comment

How about something like this?

Comment

I actually came up with this back when the NCC was being formed; you can probably find the old thread. The concept was that you'd represent each outfit with something.

I'd been inspired by the old 'Don't Tread On Me' flag but thought we should be an Auraxian spin to it. Some made up creature of Auraxas or even just feathers of a wing (with the bird not being a Bald Eagle, Todd, you know Eagles are also middle eastern right ^^).

Comment

I also know the Swasticka is an ancient symbol of good/luck but we wouldn't put it on a flag now would we? :-)

And don't all the Americians get your backs up I'm not saying bald eagles are as shrouded in history as Swastikas!
                  sigpic

Comment

We could split the difference and use one of those old Third Reich designs with an eagle clutching a swastika.
                    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

symbols have a way of changing meaning, the confederate battle flag was just that a battle flag depicting the states that sided with the confederate and was nothing more and an identifier on the battle field. Even the state of Georgia had the confederate battle flag in their state flag until 2001. But to some people it was a symbol of oppression and now it's considered in bad taste to display it. So personally I'd suggest being careful to pick symbols whose meanings have changed.

Comment

I suggest we get Aimed involved. He did the posters for the PS2 Roundtable. He is awesome at this sort of thing.

Edit: I've asked Aimed if he can have a stab at designing something.

Comment

Bumping for justice.

Comment

I'll ask Aimed if he's had a chance to work on anything. He's been pretty busy and I'm no artist!

Comment

Hey guys sorry for the wait ( damn you real world!!) BigC gave me a kick up the behind and so I set half an hour aside and came up with these. I kind of took inspiration from the United Nations emblem and mixed it with the NC logo, so the eagle/pheonix and the star. Give me some ideas and changes you think would look good.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X