Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do 'you' use to start a game

Hey all Just downloaded Planetside 2 and had a play for a few hours

I started using LaunchPad to start the game with username and pass.
    This morning I was unable to login so had a look to see if PS2 was available for steam which it is
    So downloaded the 8Gb again for steam, Entered my login details only to find I could not log in, I guessing steam uses a completely separate account/login system
    Steam requires 'Station name' + password and LaunchPad simply uses 'Name' +password to login

So my question is what do you use and do you use theses or other ways to play the this game

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Re: What do 'you' use to start a game

Well if you had downloaded Windows 8.1, then you might have a problem since many users have seen a watermark on their desktop saying "SecureBoot is not configured Properly" or something along those lines. This will cause your game to be viewed as a threat so it won't work. In order to bypass this, go to Steam and right click on Planetside 2 and do the following:

Right click Planetside 2-> click "Properties" -> click "LocalFiles" -> click "Browse Local Files" -> find the APPLICATION FILE with the name "LaunchPad" and right click it-> select "Run as Administrator" and then proceed to play.

If this does not work, I don't know a fix, this usually works for me when my computer has problems. Hope it works out.
    Questions about those who deserve it!
    "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Steam messes things up and causes slow down to mid-line computers, most noticeably the ram usage. I strongly suggest you download it off planetside 2.com and ran it the way it is supposed to be run :P. In addition, I run the game through Razer Game Booster to get the performance improvements as well as the FPS counter.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
      ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Yes, get rid of the mark of the beast (Steam) on your machine!
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

But how will I get delicious holiday sales?

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

<3 Steam

Comment

Origin!

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Ewwwww

Comment

Originally posted by Daelon Suzuka View Post
                  But how will I get delicious holiday sales?
                  That's interesting, given your avatar. Something tells me Aoi (the Laughing Man) would agree with me. lol
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
                    Hey all Just downloaded Planetside 2 and had a play for a few hours

I started using LaunchPad to start the game with username and pass.
                    This morning I was unable to login so had a look to see if PS2 was available for steam which it is
                    So downloaded the 8Gb again for steam, Entered my login details only to find I could not log in, I guessing steam uses a completely separate account/login system
                    Steam requires 'Station name' + password and LaunchPad simply uses 'Name' +password to login

So my question is what do you use and do you use theses or other ways to play the this game
                    I've used Steam to download and play Planetside 2 since it launched, and have had no issues. At least with Steam.

Are you getting any sort of error message?
                    Are you sure you are entering your login credentials correctly?

Setting up 'Run as Administrator', as Bolivian has suggested, may help and is worth a try.

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
                    Steam messes things up and causes slow down to mid-line computers, most noticeably the ram usage. I strongly suggest you download it off planetside 2.com and ran it the way it is supposed to be run :P. In addition, I run the game through Razer Game Booster to get the performance improvements as well as the FPS counter.
                    I just checked the RAM usage of Steam on my system.. 61 MB of memory usage. Probably a little high, since I haven't restarted my system in a few days. When I start Ps2, with Steam In-Game running, the memory usage of Steam drops to 17 MB. If you (not you specifically penandpencilman) have a computer that's being adversely affected by that amount of RAM being used.. It's time to buy more RAM.

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                    Yes, get rid of the mark of the beast (Steam) on your machine!
                    Why the hate? You don't like an application that notifies you of sales, allows you to create wishlists and game reviews, or that allows you to keep connected with your gaming friends, web browse in game, take screenshots, join and/or create groups, and updates most games?

Methinks it's time for Randy to finally uninstall his 3.5 inch floppy drive and 28.8k USR modem.. (ie. get with the times, old man!) ;)

Origin!
                    Go away. :madsmile:

sigpic

Comment

Plus, if you use Steam you'll be able to buy my game when it finally comes out. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
                        <snip>

<snip>
                        I can say with certainty that the same credentials log you into Planetside no matter what method you're using. I hop around between a bunch of different machines with different install methods (Steam, Launchpad, Test server) and have never once had a problem logging in.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post

I just checked the RAM usage of Steam on my system.. 61 MB of memory usage. Probably a little high, since I haven't restarted my system in a few days. When I start Ps2, with Steam In-Game running, the memory usage of Steam drops to 17 MB. If you (not you specifically penandpencilman) have a computer that's being adversely affected by that amount of RAM being used.. It's time to buy more RAM.

I am a little OCD on this sort of thing; things running that don't need to be running need to die. I do have 8 gigabytes of ram so it does not make a huge difference but I still don't like the ads that pop up upon close-down, how your friends can see all the games you have, how much time is invested in each game and the overall "facebook-y" overview of everyone's profile.

― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

If it's not maxing out your ram (or your address space on a 32 bit system), it's absolutely not a performance concern unless it's doing active processing that thrashes your cache (and even then, that's going to be very minor from the other programs perspective unless the other program is doing some very heavy lifting, which Steam does not do). Memory that's being sat on by a program isn't a concern unless you need that memory.

As for the other stuff, to each his own. I like the pop-ups because they notify me of Excellent Sales (tm) and the friends functionality is a net positive for me because I don't give a rat's meow who knows what games I have or what I'm playing, and the steam community functionality allows me to keep up with friends who aren't on other social networks.
                            Last edited by starstriker1; 10-31-2013, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I am a little OCD on this sort of thing; things running that don't need to be running need to die. I do have 8 gigabytes of ram so it does not make a huge difference but I still don't like the ads that pop up upon close-down, how your friends can see all the games you have, how much time is invested in each game and the overall "facebook-y" overview of everyone's profile.
                              You can tell it not to show you the ads, you don't have to add friends, you can tell it not to even sign into friends when Steam starts. A lot of games don't really even need steam to be running, you can start them from the .exe in the install directory. Anything else?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X