Animations - Hide your body!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animations - Hide your body!

Wrel's at it again with a bunch of animation quirks and tips.

Something that I'd never known, and amazed me a bit, is that your camera is actually positioned near your character's chest! As he shows in this video, when passing a ridge, you will come into sight to your enemy before you can see him, and an enemy at range may be able to hit you even if you appear to be behind cover on your screen.

That explains A LOT of "the heck, how did he kill me?" moments that I'd previously assumed to be due to lag and clientside hit detection.

Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: Animations - Hide your body!

Lowering the camera is a very common trick in first person shooters, just due to how the viewing angles work. If the camera is at normal height, other characters only really inhabit the lower half of the screen, which is bad framing/use of real estate since you fill the screen with mostly sky. By moving it down it brings the interesting stuff (targets, environment) higher up the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
      Lowering the camera is a very common trick in first person shooters, just due to how the viewing angles work. If the camera is at normal height, other characters only really inhabit the lower half of the screen, which is bad framing/use of real estate since you fill the screen with mostly sky. By moving it down it brings the interesting stuff (targets, environment) higher up the screen.
      Oh God I really hope you are mistakin; that that is not the real reason. Because this has been screwing up FPS games since they were born.

I always thought it was to save calculations. Having the camera in the same position as the bullet origin is easier to code, and more efficient.

It is quite an important engine flaw to remember indeed.

Comment

I know for certain that many games DO bring the camera down to make better use of real estate. Having the top half of the screen rendering nothing but sky is a huge waste of space when you're already restricted by limited pixels and FOV. In that respect it's a very prudent design decision. All the interesting things are low.

Saving calculations has nothing to do with it (they're fairly trivial calculations) but having the camera at the bullet origin makes aiming a little more intuitive, for sure. Add that to the list.

Comment

If the camera is in the chest then where the heck do the projectiles originate from? It often seems (when up against cover) that the projectiles are originating lower than even the sight/barrel offset would account for. :s

If the camera is in the chest, and the projectiles are coming from lower... are we shooting projectiles from our genitals? That's terrible.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I think in PR, so probably in bf2 as well, bullets actually come from your head.

Also some games will show the bullet leaving from below your view, but that does not necessarily mean the bullet is also coming from there in the game engine.

The only games that I think actually have the bullet coming from the barrel end that are ARMA and Red Orchestra 2. THat is the only actual good solution.

In Planetside 2 is is pretty bad. There are so many situations where my bullets are hitting railings closeby. THis is the most obvious way to get a feeling of this effect.

Comment

I don't agree. Having bullets come from the camera (or as near to as possible) means that you hit what's in your crosshairs. Your monitor is ultimately a 2D visualization of a 3D world, which means that the depth cues you would normally use to compensate for a significant offset don't work. See shooting with a Reaver before they fixed the offset versus shooting with a Reaver now that it comes right out of the camera... it made a world of difference for accuracy.

Comment

As a tanker I quite enjoyed having my shots originate from off-camera. I was sad the day they changed that, taking away my skill barrier!

Must have been tougher on the flyboys. I remember the constant Fix the Reaver threads.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X