Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about doing two ops nights per week?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [EVENT] What do you guys think about doing two ops nights per week?

Previously, I never really understood why some other outfits had scheduled ops nights on certain days. There was a point there where we seemed to always fill up a platoon no problem every single night (and 2, and even 3 some times on Fridays!). But now, due to a number of reasons (people playing other recently released games like BF3 and ArmA3, leadership burnout, etc.) I think that participation in PS2 overall is down, and I think it's fair to say it is down within TG as well. So now that I guess things have run their course here at TG, and we are out of the "new and exciting / high growth" phase of the outfit, I am starting to see the wisdom in having a couple of scheduled ops nights per week.

For my part, I just don't have the time/energy to SL or PL every single night any more. When I get on these days, it's usually pretty late, I may have had a few drinks already, and I just want to fly around in my Gal and play some music in prox and socialize (much to the consternation of more serious players like Garthra and Starstriker, lol). But just thinking about one of our great Armor SLs, Starstriker, describing himself running an armor squad in the recent Balance Pass #1 - Harasser Nerf (Post Optimization) thread, makes me wax nostalgic for those great TG moments of game play, particularly combined arms.

And, on a more personal note, I am single now again, so my Fridays have been taken up lately with going out on the town and chasing skirts. So I was wondering if anyone might be interested in a second ops night, perhaps on a Wednesday or something?

I know other people are like me and still lurk and read the forums, and get in game periodically. Nowadays though my sense is it's hard to find a pick up squad and get something good and organized going off the cuff. But I figured if we had a set day (or 2 set days) those lurkers on the forums here would eventually read this, and we could start maybe getting a good turnout of leaders and people on maybe another night of the week other than Friday. People could still form casual ad hoc squads and do whatever they want on the other days. I'm open to discussion of what day, particularly from those usual suspects who are also likely to step up and lead (you know who you are) as I think everyone realizes that without a skeleton of good leadership (at least 2 good SLs, and 3-4 would be even better), that great TG style of play we all long for just ain't going to happen on it's own.

Discuss?
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: What do you guys think about doing two ops nights per week?

I noticed that once the regular TG leaders (yourself, Al, Emale, ) dropped off almost all at the same time, we haven't had regular leadership fill the gap though DOT has tried. Sure we have other leaders stepping up but either they are not regulars or don't inspire the number of members TG had gotten used too. And i say this from an analytic standpoint, everyone has their preferred leaders. Once the leadership dropped off member interest/participation dropped off as well. I'm sure other things contribute as you said but I believe this is likely tied with other releases for being the strongest reason for lapse in attendance. I know that's the ranking for me anyway. Been playing the crap out of some Assassins Creed IV.

I think a healthier transition to new leaders would have required the common popular leaders to support the new ones by attending and encouraging attendance under the fledgling leaders. I know I have seen DOT doing it a lot. Of-course my opinion is only as accurate as my own participation, I am unaware of how it is in my absence.

Comment

An interesting proposition! Right now, friday night is the only time I'll typically sign on because sometimes it feels like it's the only time we'll have enough people to so much as fill up a squad, and I tend to enjoy the game for the larger-scale tactical and leadership challenges. If there was another night in the week (other than a Monday) that we could start getting reasonable numbers for, I'd happily partake!

We may want to look at some of the bigger NC (or even VS/TR) outfits and see where their ops nights line up, so that we're more likely to have healthy competition/fire support. Possibly we could even roll our ops nights into those of a friendly outfit like VCO or SG and do joint ops with them, like I recall us doing with AACE on occasion many months ago.

As far as the overall server situation... there's definitely the "other games" factor, but server pop feel like it's been dropping for a while. It's starting to feel like SolTech did pre-merge, where you've got fights on Indar but rarely anywhere else outside an alert. I wouldn't be shocked if Matterson got merged into the other east coast server in the near future, unless the developers are hoping that the continental lattice (and the correspondingly reduced continental options for play) will come soon enough to even that out.

Outfit wise, we're definitely at low-ebb for active membership. I seem to recall that we stopped actively recruiting a while back to focus on training up leadership rather than just filling out the outfit, maybe it's time to kick that up again.

Comment

I am hoping that when Hossin comes out we will see a little uptick in participation, at least for a while. Until then, it's up to us to try and make something happen, hence this thread. :)

Good recruiting is a function of having good operations. The reason we were garnering so many recruits during those several months was because we had a lot of good leadership on all the time and were constantly running large ops the TG way. Doing that in and of itself will garner more recruits.

It warms my heart to see the likes of some of those (relatively newer) recruits from that period stepping up now and SLing at times as well as contributing on the forum and elsewhere, but you are right we need more leadership development. CML for instance does an open leadership night where newer SLs can step up and lead under the tutelage of a more experienced leader. I have said many times I would be willing to do this, but had no takers. So maybe we should do that as they do, on a fixed night, say Mon or Tue every week (or maybe every other week, lest we start overdoing it again) in order to develop more leadership.

Starstriker, thanks for throwing your hat in the ring, as you were one of the main ones I had in mind when mentioning "you know who you are." ;) So if Mondays are no good for you, so be it. With only one specific response re: day of the week, it looks like Wed might still be good. Other people (particularly leaders) please chime in your current availability as well.

Also, SS, I know you have NCC TS permissions, but are you active on the forums over there as well? I don't recall and don't have time to look it up right now. There is a calendar on NCC website showing almost all of the active outfits' ops nights (as well as a lot of training schedules) which is pretty up to date. I am not against doing combined ops, but I don't think participation is quite that far down yet (particularly if we manage to get something going in this thread), and also there are almost always small "cultural" differences between outfits, especially with TG being as how we don't curse and do follow the Primer, etc.

[MENTION=59167]VLAD[/MENTION]:

I have been playing through Fallout 3 for the first time recently. :) I remember playing some game a loooong time ago (Wasteland I think?) which the Fallout series is the "spiritual successor" to. I really like the feel of that post apocalyptic nuclear dystopian 1950s alternate reality. But man, you can tell that Bethesda made Fallout 3. At points it feels like the Elder Scrolls in a post apocalyptic nuclear alternate reality future. Some of those long involved quests and stuff are getting quite tedious...
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have been able to step up occasionally from around 5:30pm to 7:30pm pacific US time. Also some on weekends. I have made AARs, and have run squads very tightly, with no tolerance for slacking. It has gone well. I will try to step up as much as I can, but it will be inconsistent. If we set a particular day I can try to leave work early that day, but I cannot promise anything. The commute could make be 1/2 hour early or an hour later, even if I leave early.

As far as the number of people on, I would bet good money BF (whatever number they are on) has just sucked the air out of the room.
          The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

I occasionally check the NCC forums, but I'm not usually an active participant, no.

P.S. As far as Fallout 3, I always loved the survival and scavenging aspects more than the actual quests. I'd personally recommend looking at something like the Fallout 3 Wanderers Edition mod if you enjoy that stuff, as I found that the survival aspects that I enjoyed so much from my first 5 levels in the base game fell off rather drastically once I'd found my footing and accumulated a doomsday arsenal to drag around in my backpack.

That said, I feel like Bethesda should make more games like it. It drew me in WAY more than Oblivion or Skyrim ever did. I could rant about those games for hours, so I'll shut up now. :P

Comment

Yes Garthra, you were another one of the people I had in mind, as one of our few currently active squad leaders who does things the TG way. Your uptick in leading (and resultant AARs, etc.) has not been overlooked (at least not by me) even though I have been in game a lot less lately. I really had fun the other week doing that airborne infantry op. :)

And that's my hope, that by setting another fixed day (in addition to Friday) we may eventually be able to gather momentum and scrape together a few good SLs and get something good going again. Quality over quantity. If people know the day, they can perhaps schedule for it a bit and get psyched up for it; and if it's only 2 days per week my hope is we can stave off burnout. Experienced leaders understand there is a certain additional cognitive load involved, we all are not always up to it every day. Sometimes "less is more" and that's what I'm shooting for here. I even still see E-Male playing PS2 periodically, maybe we can shake him (and others) loose from BF4 one more day per week. ;)

As far as your timing Garthra, a little later works fine for me (the times you mentioned being +3, or 8:30 to 10:30 PM over here in EDT where Mattherson server is located). Maybe that was why we ran into each other so often in game. lol Actually, that's not all that late, most of the people seem to be on during prime time EDT, which pretty much falls during those hours anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                It warms my heart to see the likes of some of those (relatively newer) recruits from that period stepping up now and SLing at times as well as contributing on the forum and elsewhere, but you are right we need more leadership development. CML for instance does an open leadership night where newer SLs can step up and lead under the tutelage of a more experienced leader. I have said many times I would be willing to do this, but had no takers. So maybe we should do that as they do, on a fixed night, say Mon or Tue every week (or maybe every other week, lest we start overdoing it again) in order to develop more leadership.

Starstriker, thanks for throwing your hat in the ring, as you were one of the main ones I had in mind when mentioning "you know who you are." ;) So if Mondays are no good for you, so be it. With only one specific response re: day of the week, it looks like Wed might still be good. Other people (particularly leaders) please chime in your current availability as well.

Also, SS, I know you have NCC TS permissions, but are you active on the forums over there as well? I don't recall and don't have time to look it up right now. There is a calendar on NCC website showing almost all of the active outfits' ops nights (as well as a lot of training schedules) which is pretty up to date. I am not against doing combined ops, but I don't think participation is quite that far down yet (particularly if we manage to get something going in this thread), and also there are almost always small "cultural" differences between outfits, especially with TG being as how we don't curse and do follow the Primer, etc.
                An excellent suggestion. I particularly like dedicating one night to training newer SLers when everyone can be sure on the dates and times, and know the focus will be on training over results (as well as sharing the work).

Working with the NCC is certainly an option to keep in mind but I don't know whether it'd be best as a routine thing at present or not.

As I took a break from gaming I did not end up grabbing a mic :( . Once I do I will certainly be up for helping and should be available whichever night is decided on.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

I swear, I'm about to take up a collection to buy you a new mic. You and Bolivian. lol

Comment

Wednesday nights are good for me. I've been on about 2 random nights a week, and the only time we can get more than a full squad going is on Friday nights. If anyone is jumping on tonight, I'll be there.

Comment

I already try to be on as many nights a week as I can, but I'd love to have a couple times when I know other folks are gonna be on too. I also think that have an SL and PL training/practice night would be great, and I'd certainly participate in that too.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

I want to respond to several things in this thread before tackling the actual topic.

1) For God's sake, someone must be living close enough to Jengles to give him a mic. I have several, but the price to mail them is higher than the worth of the mic. I say this, because we need everyone that can and will take some leadership, especially if they are really good at it.

2) New-release addicts. There are a lot of people in TG who will buy into every hype, and others who just want to play only new games.
                        I see the same people come in for a few weeks or months on every new game I play. And then they are gone when the next release cycle comes along. Some of these are good friends. But are they of any use to build community for a game? NO. They hurt the building of community. Especially if they get involved in the organisation/rules of the new-game's community and then suddenly leave. I'm glad these people are all gone now, after a year. Now we can finally see the people that will be hanging around for longer, and actually build a community. It's like building from the ground up again. But perhaps the quality will be higher.

3) On my absence and return. I left for over a month to live in the woods. I had some issues connecting to the PS2 server there, with lack of electrical power and whatnot, even though I had over 4 bars on average of connection to various fauna and flora.

Upon my return I was very disappointed to see that organisation had splintered it seemed, with many independent squads running, often closed. I had to spend minutes of typing just trying to get an idea of who was running what and in how many squads we were split. And then as a cherry on the pie they would be closed (repeated this detail to illustrate frustration). It felt a bit like a kick in the teeth, because all the time I had spent as PL was not just only fun. Some of it was fun+effort to build community and create a cool community. Finding all these closed door mini-groups was such a turn off that my first reaction was to not play. After that I had severe hardware problems, whilst the organisational problems weren't fixed.

Now after all that bitching.

-My hardware problems are under control for the time being.
                        -The performance update is making a huge difference for me; I can actually move in huge fights now. This is opening up a lot of new gameplay, for me , hopefully for others too. Be sure to tell your friends who have left because of performance. A lot of people bmight want to give the game a second look.

-I have decided to try and pull the cart a little bit again (~=taking platoon lead regularly), but with moderation. But if much of our outfit remains tied to running individual separate squads, I'll give up eventually. I don't play a massive game to always be in a small squad.
                        But for now I am going to try at least. And see where we get along with the others in this thread; pretty much all of the people who don't crawl under a rock when you ask for a leader :D.

=> Now to the point of the date. My most regular day to play is Sunday night. Almost always will I at least log on, usually with the intention to take up SL/PL. If you are PL/SL and see me connecting on Sunday, you may always ask me to take it. I find that if I don't take the reigns early in the night, I tend not to take over when it is getting later. I can PL when tired, but I usually can't muster the courage to start when tired and late.

@Jengles idea of a practice night. I really like that. It would be actually nice if we could train some little things, so we actually do things differently than other outfits, in a way that they can see.
                        Be it room-clearing, beautiful formations and movements (my 1st choice for sure), .... whatever anyone thinks of.

PS.
                        Someone send Jengles a spare mic plz!

Comment

I've been rather busy with life as of recent but when i'm online I've started taking to creating a few specialized squads, Air/armor/airborne infantry/etc. depending on how the squads fill themselves up. My biggest problem on these days is getting someone to step up and lead as PL as I find myself a more at home in a squad leading role (otherwise I just end up running the whole platoon like giant 48 man squad).
                          But for all intents and purposes, If i'm online and there is ever need for a squad lead, I'll step up in a heartbeat.

Comment

@ zepkron:

I just want to add, with the current state of the outfit, I don't think there is anything bad with leading the platoon like a giant squad at times. In fact we could use some more of that.

At least it gets everyone together. I do this quite often, especially if I have a lack of SL volunteers.

One thing you can also do then, is just ask someone you trust to take the position whilst specifying that you'll take the weight, but they just need to do minor tasks.

This can be a good way of making this transition. When I'm running the whole platoon together I'll sometimes say "all I need you to do is put down a beacon".

That then gives you the ability to expand, whilst not immediatly forcing this player to come out of his squadmember-mood.

Often you will then see that this person will take more of the SL role as things move along, but they really don't have to.

I will also often NOT follow our comms procedures, which were written down in a wholly different era of PS2; a year ago when the situation was very different.

I think it is often better to be looser with comms, then as the platoon grows and comms get busy, you can call for proper comms to be observed. I think this helps to have the platoon grow slowl and lets the SL's grow into their role on the night.

Comment

I've played a little BF4 and I can honestly say I'm not really that impressed. I find myself coming back to PS2. Was fun last night just to hop into the game, fire up my Lightning, and join a large scale battle. Lots of fun for me! As far as the subject of this thread goes, I would have no problem attending scheduled events Wed or Fri evenings. (although I may have to work some overtime at work every now and then, and sometimes won't be able to attend).

I love the idea of large scale battles. I don't think any game currently out really has this dynamic. (Maybe World of Tanks?)

Anyway, just thought I would venture my opinion.

Randy, didnt realize you were going through a rough patch. I see you got through it fine if you are chasing skirts brother!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X