No announcement yet.

Galaxy Flight and Airborne Infantry Drops 101

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ANNOUNCEMENT] Galaxy Flight and Airborne Infantry Drops 101

OK Guise, after a couple of awful drops the last couple days where entire platoon size Max crashes were wiped out, I am suddenly seeing the need for some basic instruction in the care, feeding, and proper handling of Auraxian Skywhales. Therefore I will be hosting some impromptu classes on Basic Galaxy Flight and Airborne Infantry Drops about once a week for the foreseeable future. Or maybe we just need to get back to doing a little more airborne infantry operations in game, not sure. But if you are online and interested, say something in Outfit text and if there is some interest we can get something going. Afternoons are probably best, or maybe later at night, usually during alerts and ops nights it's time to bring our A game so that is usually not a good time for noobs to learn but any sort of down time is usually good. If people would like to post up any specific times in this thread, we can try and get something scheduled also, although I am in game almost every day.

Topics Covered

This will be a work in progress, after I do a few classes, whatever I figure out will likely be codified into some outline / class for TGU, but for starters I wold like to touch on the following:
    • Basic flight controls and how to get better as a pilot
    • Importance of map awareness, checking your map before heading to target
    • Various drop methods (jump out, kick out), pros and cons of each
    • The importance of accurate insertion (directly on rooftops or flags)
    • Battle Gals and proper applications
    • Certing strategies

I say homework, but this is going to be fun, especially for those who, like me, are fans of the Auraxian Skywhale. Please review the following materials before participating (please complete in order):

1.How to Fly Like a P4nda - In this post, an awesome video, followed by the reasoning behind flying LOW, along with some other basic tips and certing strategies. Some of the latter I disagree with personally, but we will be discussing the various certing approaches and pros/cons of each. Watching that video again just now, it's funny though, I used to look up to that guy and his flight skills (and that was one of my original inspirations for becoming a Gal pilot) but I can honestly say that now I am such a better pilot than that. lol Also, those stock guns! Plebe! Hah!

2.After reading the above article enough times to digest it, if you are an absolute rank novice at flying the Gal, please go into the VR Training Area in game and practice your Gal flying solo, until you reach a minimum level of competency. You can get there from the continent warp terminal in any warpgate (the one with the globe on it). Follow the advice in #1, above, i.e., follow the roads at low altitude, gaining speed and dropping altitude as your skill improves until you can go full speed and keep the Gal under 30 meters, go under trees, etc. This will likely require a few sessions. Do this first with stock chassis, and then you can try out some of the other ones and see which one you might like to cert into later.

3.What's an Auraxian Skywhale you say? Any discussion of this colorful and hardy bird would not be complete without the following:

Something funny I just noticed, google "Auraxian Skywhale" and please note what the second result is. Um, yeah. lol
    Last edited by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL; 12-04-2013, 03:49 PM. Reason: added Homework #2, very important pre-requisite!
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: Galaxy Flight and Airborne Infantry Drops 101

I just added Homework pre-requisite #2, it is crucial for you to achieve basic flying competency before you attend my in game class, as we will be going straight into practicing drops. Thanks.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed