Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medics and Revives Initiative (+ Medic Appreciation)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medics and Revives Initiative (+ Medic Appreciation)

Why Medics Are Awesome

I believe Tactical Gamer has a certain affinity with the Medic class. These are the support players that keep you all alive, sometimes against heavy odds, and hence everything the squad achieves flows from them.

The presence of any Medic worth his salt provides a huge benefit to squad cohesion and effectiveness, is easily noticed by all squad members and can turn the tide of a battle. A squad that constantly stays on their feet, no matter what is thrown at them, does much to impress enemies, allies and help garner recruits. Additionally, Squad Leaders - especially those that lead from the front - have a tendency to die, and highly organised squads are only possible when the SL is kept on his/her feet, giving out instructions.

For these reasons, I'd like to take a moment to thank all Medics for their contribution.

Medics and Revives Initiative

This is an area that from my experience TG has excelled at among the Battlefield series - when someone dies, respawning is an utter rarity and not only will there be a Medic on the way, there's probably 2 or 3.* In PlanetSide 2, spawn timers are so low and offenses usually always have a Sunderer and/or spawn beacon, so it's tempting to overlook the revives and throw bodies at your target. But that's not as effective, fun or tactical. Sometimes, myself or other Medics complain when the soon-to-be-revived squad mate spawns in. You can see Medics on the map and you should always give them longer than the paltry respawn timer to make their way to you - battles are hectic places.

I think we can and should be as good at revives as any outfit you care to name, if not better, but we could do with some extra effort to achieve this.

Therefore, I present the Medics and Revives Initiative.

During this initiative, I ask all Squad Leaders to spend some more time making sure their squads have enough Medics, reminding Medics to revive, dead players to wait for revives and everyone else to cover the Medics - particularly when they're rushing to a fallen teammate with Medical Applicator in hand.

I also propose a comm procedure designed to keep this aspect of squad cohesion firmly in the back of everyone's mind at all times: Suggested Comms: Calling Out Deaths and Revives

All input is welcome!

*I mentioned this in-game to someone, an old 10 second clip of 6 Medics going for the same revive from BF2142: Mine mine mine BF 2142 style

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Re: Medics and Revives Initiative (+ Medic Appreciation)

Two comments:

1) A medic doesn't contribute to squad cohesion no matter how good they are. Instead, they REQUIRE squad cohesion to be effective, because if people are scattered all over the place it's much harder for a medic to keep them all up.

2) Totally with you on revives being better than respawns in most cases. Forget the spawn timers... a medic brings you up right by your squad! If you spawn elsewhere, you have to spend time hoofing it over there, possibly from a place where your squad is inaccessable or cut off! The only good time to respawn, IMO, is if the squad is wiped, the sunderer is REALLY close, or you desperately need to restock equipment or pull a new kit.

Comment

Medics can easily be the focus of squad cohesion and encourage all players to play for the team when they can see clear benefits for themselves. I once had a Gal drop of mainly blueberries that consisted one Medic - I told him he was lucky because he had 11 body guards and we couldn't let him die or we were all finished. That squad effectively held a room for quite some time (we did resort to a beacon and more medics) but the fact I pointed it out pushed everyone to call out revives and cover the medics as good as any squad I've been in.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

YES, YES, OH GOD YES! Amen brother! Repped. Oh wait, "I must spread some around before giving it to MrJengles again." :/

I will take it one step further. I have been saying for a while now that Spawn Beacons and Sunderers actually break squad cohesion. Therefore in my squads, we almost never use them. I tell my squad we are a self sufficient unit, hold your spawn forever, if we are all wiped then and only then I wil tell everyone where to respawn. If we do have an active beacon, some times I will tell a Medic or two to drop in, but now with the new beacon lateral nerf the beacon is usually so close to the squad that it gets killed when we get wiped out (or if it's safe, it's usually too far away for the Medic to get back to us in time).

Just getting people to hold their spawns a little longer would do wonders. I preach this all the time in game. But we need to overcome the usual CoD mentality of "GO, GO, GO, SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT, DIE, SPAWN, RUN STRAIGHT TOWARD THE ENEMY SOLO AND DIE AGAIN!!!!111!!!1111!1"

I will also direct my squad to provide cover (if necessary Max AEGIS shield), smoke, or whatever in order to make sure all squad mates are up before we move on. Personally, I always SL from the back as you say, and play Medic with underslung smoke grenade launcher for exactly these reasons. Survivability and I direct my squad from the back. I always remind my squad, Maxes / Heavies in first, followed by Engis, then Medics. And Medics, stay together with the squad but spread out enough not to all be taken out in the event of a single frag or Dalton shot. I tell them to "stay back and hide, and hide in different corners" and also "you are primarily a support, not an offensive class; your job is to hang back, stay alive, and keep the squad going, not to be shooting; while you are at it, you can watch our rear and flanks."

So, I have been on board with this for a while now. But everyone else, PLEASE HELP US TO SPREAD THE GOOD WORD! AMEN!
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Good idea Jengles!

Another way to sell the idea of 'revives are better than respawns', is to appeal to those nasty little statwhores in all of us.. If you are revived, that death isn't counted in your KDR.

sigpic

Comment

I agree that sometimes people are too quick to respawn instead of wait for a revive, but I want to emphasize that you shouldn't always wait until a medic gets to you. Read the situation and evaluate the best option. When I'm in a squad, I always take note of who is a medic and what their number is, that way when I die, I can look and see how close a medic is to my body and where the nearest spawn point is. Sometimes the spawn point is going to be closer, or maybe its just closer to where you want to be. If I start to run low on ammo and then I die, I'll spawn at the spawn point even if a medic is close to me.

The point is its important to know who your medics are and where they are so that you can make the best tactical decision.

Comment

My Super MAX is dedicated to the protection of Medics and their activities first and foremost so long as they are supporting the objective and not putting themselves and/or the unit in unnecessary risk.

If you play medic...
              if I am in your unit/proxmity...
              If I am in my Super Max...
              if you need to Rez/heal but need cover...
              - Call on my aid to tank for you and provide cover. I find great joy sticking my shield to the man.

-Vlad

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                Two comments:

1) A medic doesn't contribute to squad cohesion no matter how good they are. Instead, they REQUIRE squad cohesion to be effective, because if people are scattered all over the place it's much harder for a medic to keep them all up.

2) Totally with you on revives being better than respawns in most cases. Forget the spawn timers... a medic brings you up right by your squad! If you spawn elsewhere, you have to spend time hoofing it over there, possibly from a place where your squad is inaccessable or cut off! The only good time to respawn, IMO, is if the squad is wiped, the sunderer is REALLY close, or you desperately need to restock equipment or pull a new kit.
                The first point is really a question of, chicken or egg, the medic helps cohesion by maintaining the squad. The Squad helps creates the cohesion but can lose it as they take casualties. Its a great point to remember that a poorly coordinated squad gains no benefit from any number of medics.

I do think the very act of having a good sum of medics, two at bare minimum, in any squad is directly proportional to the resulting cohesion if only because the medics will stick by the others and vice versa.

Comment

I don't necessarily agree. You can have squad cohesion without medics, but without squad cohesion your medics will be next to useless. Their effectiveness is drastically increased by the cohesiveness of the squad, and I've very rarely seen squads rally around their medics without specific prompting. Left to their own devices, most squads will scatter with or without medics, especially if the fight is big and those medics/scattered squad members can support or be supported just by milling in the general direction of the zerg. I don't feel that medics serve as a strong, passive rallying point because they're low visibility to their squad mates and many people tend to play medics like any other infantry class.

Comment

I never said that medics created cohesion, I said they helped it by maintaining the health of the squad. Obviously an unorganized squad will be unorganized, that's just an unnecessary observation, the point is that when you have an organized group the Medic serves a huge role that should not be understated.

I've seen small squads of TR and Vanu hold down a single building against constant assault. Even when they went down they'd still come back up. I've ran with CML and seen how critical the medic is to that outfit's tactics. You are arguing against the concept based only on observations of squads with already low level of cooperation; the few times that the FastBreak was pulled off the evidence pointed very strongly to the medic's providing critical support and maintaining the operation long past what could be done without them.

Comment

A simple idea that I personally feel would be effective and still keep comms clear, would be to call out "# down!" , instead of "F me! I'm down over by the....big thingy!!!!!" It allows the medic to not only know a squadie is down, but if the medic knows where the squadies location was prior he/she may not even need to take the few seconds to look at the mini map to locate the mate.

Comment

Glad to see a Medic thread pulled you back in out of the woodwork, Doc! haha When you gonna get in game again?

I think it's situational, be smart and apply common sense / SA. If it's pretty clear where you are, the squad is all close together, a simple "# down" will do it. Shoot, if you have achieved squad cohesion and the Medics are working well already, that might not even be necessary. OTOH, If you think the Medic(s) might not know where you are (or you are counting on blueberry Medics) then maybe state your location briefly.
                        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

lol, yeah it's been a while. I took a rather prolonged break after the promise of battle island fell through and to be honest, I'm not a fan of lattice system at all. I'll be on probably Friday regardless to do my healing thingy and making sure y'all are good to go.

Comment

There is nothing worse than when a medic risks their life to revive someone and that someone re-spawns just as the medic is getting in range.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X