SOE changed vehicle camo!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOE changed vehicle camo!

So I logged on this morning to get a screen shot if my gal and I though my camo was glitched because half my gal was still blue. Then I thought I'd check the other vehicles and none of them were as bad as the gal but they all had extra yellow or blue marks that didn't use to be there. It's hard enough to hide a gal but now it impossible. Not to mention pointless to have camo on a gal. It just looks terrible.

Re: SOE changed vehicle camo!

Okay, so after some searching and silent raging at this horrific camo redesign, I found this:

Hey guys, sorry I'm just seeing and replying to this. What we are doing is creating some more cosmetic slots to give more customization options. We had some cosmetics that occupied some of these new cosmetic areas already, camo coverage is a good example. Maybe you liked having Indar Desert Scrub on your whole Magrider, but now it's only covering about half, the other half will be able to be set with a secondary camo slot in a near future update. Our plan is to grant the cosmetic items for the new slots to people who previously owned cosmetics that would have filled that area, so you will be getting a new "secondary camo" slot soon, and also camos for that slot based on what you already had. End result will be that you can create the exact same look as before, but you will also have flexibility to do a lot more. We are scrambling to get the items set up to grant so hopefully having a half painted Magrider is only a very short term annoyance.
    Edit: important bit on why this happened with the optimization patch.
    "Yes, it's absolutely an optimization priority. We are saving a lot of texture memory with these changes which is a major issue for a lot of people. Asset swapping to maintain memory footprint is/was one of our major sources of hitches and frame drops. "
    No, you won't have to buy it twice. When you buy the Indar Desert Scrub camo you'll get a primary and secondary slot camo item. There may be exceptions in the future where we make a camo that is only for the primary or secondary slot,but in those cases it would be discounted to reflect the diminished utility.
    I'm on mobile at a convention on the other side on the planet so it's a bit difficult to stay on top of this conversation,sorry for not clarifying this earlier.
    This is from Higby on Reddit (because even SoE won't touch the PS2 forums) and it's from November, but I'm hoping this is all that this abhorrent camo is - something temporary while they put in a new system.

Not that I see a need to have two camo patterns on the same vehicle, that seems like a terrible idea, but I suspect it will find some traction with the same sort of people who purchase lumifiber. :/

As one user put it "I miss feeling like I was a soldier in a sci-fi war, not a zoo for exotic animals with flashing lights."
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Yeah, that happened a while ago. Most of us are over our outrage already. Most of us.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

At least you don't have to buy the same camo twice.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Yup. Supposedly they're going to be "breaking up" more of the large scale cosmetics (I think sunderer body kits were mentioned) into their constituent parts, so you can have the spare tire off the Boar Grill with the grill off the retro grill. More options are better than less options I suppose.

I'm going to have an aneurysm though the first time I see someone flying a galaxy with half snow cam and half jungle cam.

OH MY GOD THAT SHIRT DOESN'T GO WITH THOSE PANTS

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

More camo slots means more money to buy camo. It's just a get rich quick scheme and they are grasping at straws imo.

Comment

I don't get how you figure that. If you read it it says specifically that buying one camo gets it for both slots, and current owners of one camo will also get both slots. It's just a way to add more options to how you apply it.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure how this would drop texture memory requirements... I'll have to take a look to see if I can puzzle that out.

Comment

I like the unexpected customization feature - looking forward to seeing the giraffe/zebra gal coming over the horizon. My only gripe is the changes to some of the skins added reflective areas underneath some decals, so they look a little weird now. Not that decal placement was always ideal, but...
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                    I'm not entirely sure how this would drop texture memory requirements... I'll have to take a look to see if I can puzzle that out.
                    Apparently there was a fair bit of finagling they were doing for O:MFG with textures.

Yes, it's absolutely an optimization priority. We are saving a lot of texture memory with these changes which is a major issue for a lot of people. Asset swapping to maintain memory footprint is/was one of our major sources of hitches and frame drops.
                    You are right, however, this is more about the base vehicle texture, which is now shared across all vehicles of the same empire than the camo texture size.
                    I don't know enough to know what he's banging on about, but maybe that means something to you.

I think (hope) the Gal changes are just some temporary stuff that is thrown in for the time being. The camo is currently applied to all sorts of ridiculous little places - inside engines, over vents, inside the cockpit... it's kind of a mess once you look at it. I'm hoping it just wound up in the hotfix unintentionally, as happened to the Magrider last month (which was even worse, the poor thing only had camo on ~20% of it).

Comment

I do a lot of technical art and art tasks in my day job, so I'm less interested in fact checking and more interested in puzzling out the specifics for their own sake. ^_^

The bit about asset swapping makes sense. If they're running into the memory limit on the graphics card, they can unload one texture and put another in its place... but that swap eats up a lot of the bandwidth between the card and the CPU.

Maybe they've done some clever reorganization of the vehicle textures to reduce the total memory footprint... maybe shifted more of the texturing work into the shaders? Looking at the player models I already expected that their vehicle/player shaders were insanely complex, multilayered beasts.

Comment

if they wanted to add more cosmetic options then give us decal placement slots not more camo bah...

I'd like to see my gal decked out like nascar with decals on the side lol

Comment

at Randy

I watched my camo change the day I posted this. I went to scwitch camo and it went from full camo to what it is now when I switched it. I should have left it alone.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X