Destroying squad cohesion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destroying squad cohesion

So, we talk about how to IMPROVE squad cohesion all the time. I want to flip that on its head a bit: what are things you notice that absolutely DESTROY squad cohesion? Things that send your squad into a mess, or leave it teetering on the edge of being recoverable? What kind of stuff gets the blueberries in your squad or even hardened veterans running around like chickens with their heads cut off, not in a position to properly support one another?

There's room for using this sort of data to avoid having it happen to your squad... but really? I want to weaponize it.

MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Seriously, though. Whenever I've run a squad dedicated to holding a specific position or managing asset area denial, usually what comes in and breaks us is a squad that's still got its cohesion together. Maybe not ideally, maybe they're strung out a bit instead of all hitting us at once, but all of a sudden there's a full squad hitting us at full force and we're now falling apart. Often we see the charge coming, but aren't able to really decisively do anything to them before they engage in close quarters, at which point everything is a toss up (and probably not in our favour, as the people at long range we were previously able to suppress are now returning the favour). It'd be awesome to have a few tricks up my sleeve to make that enemy force lose concentration of force before they can get too close.

Thoughts?

Re: Destroying squad cohesion

- Running asset squads and not enforcing a vehicle-only policy, until your armor column consists of two lightinings, a Sunderer, a Reaver (there's always that one guy...), four infantry trying to cap the point, and three guys wandering around the sunderer with rocket launchers.

- Not paying attention to your squad list in an open squad and allowing it to fill up with people who don't even attempt to stay with the squad. Regular culls are important, especially as a squad is just filling up. USE /squad kick username! The platoon leader has more than enough on his plate without dealing with your issues as well, don't bother him/her with the trivialities of kicking a squad member, that's your responsibility.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

could you tell me the exact syntax for "squad kick username" with username = phaelah for example

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

Unweaponizable
        Unclear orders.

Too specific orders (micromanaging).

A squad member directly questioning leadership.

Weaponizable
        Interdicting a Galaxy and messing its drop zone.
        Lack of medics. (IE target medics)
        Isolating elements of a squad to keep them separated.
        Being shelled by a heavily armored/armed vehicle.
        Being attacked while maneuvering.

Comment

Originally posted by eD_ru$h View Post
          could you tell me the exact syntax for "squad kick username" with username = phaelah for example
          Exactly what you have in quotes there, except add "/" in front of squad. Like so:

Code:
          /squad kick phaelah
          Personally I do not mind kicking people as PL, as long as you have your callsigns together and use otherwise proper comms procedure. Example:

Bravo Lead: "Bravo Comms."
          PL: "Go Bravo."
          Bravo Lead: "Please kick B4 and 7."
          PL: "Roger."

I mean, how long did that take? Most of the time the PL is in the map, it's just a matter of switching screens to the platoon management. If you include the callsigns (not names of players) it makes it very easy and fast for the PL to do. I think doing it this way also has the added benefit of "sending a message" to the entire platoon. Also, some people have long / complicated names (like me, lol), which are harder to type out, etc...
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Just had an interesting thought:

Say an enemy squad is charging your position. You aren't able to put decisive fire on them to blunt the assault entirely, but you've got 10 seconds or so where they're in the open to whittle them down some before they're in your face. Who do you shoot?

Traditionally, you'd shoot the guys at the front. They're the ones who will be a threat soonest, right? But in planetside, the medics behind them are just going to pick them up and keep the charge rolling. You COULD shoot the medics, but they're tough to pick out in a crowd.

What if we shot the guys in the back, instead?

If they don't go back to pick them up, that's people down that aren't going to be part of the initial rush. If they DO send medics back, that's less strength in the front of the group and their charge is delayed as they pick more people up, giving fresh opportunities to shoot the medics and spreading their squad out.

Comment

Starstriker, keep in mind, the particular situation above only really works if you possess the high ground and the enemy hasn't already started firing on your position.

What I've found out works really well, outside of biolabs, is retreating away a good distance from the point and letting them take your previous position even if it is the point.
              What this does is it creates confusion (and a little bit of rage) for the enemy. The typical expectation is, "kill everyone on the point= we win". But when you retreat... sure they have the objective, but where was the resistance? I've watched this many times and its a great way to root out the 'kill chasers' because they feel unsatisfied by the lack of opposition and they see your squad off in another position a good distance away and immediately start chasing, while a good number stay behind to secure point.

So in summation:
              On your side you have: Full squad strength, an completely non-suppressed position, and enemy awareness... oh but you lost the point, whoops.
              On the enemies side they have: a splintered squad who is either hunting for enemies or defending the point, a compromised impromptu defense, not all of them are fully aware of your position and... the point

Comment

Originally posted by Zepkron View Post
                Starstriker, keep in mind, the particular situation above only really works if you possess the high ground and the enemy hasn't already started firing on your position.

What I've found out works really well, outside of biolabs, is retreating away a good distance from the point and letting them take your previous position even if it is the point.
                What this does is it creates confusion (and a little bit of rage) for the enemy. The typical expectation is, "kill everyone on the point= we win". But when you retreat... sure they have the objective, but where was the resistance? I've watched this many times and its a great way to root out the 'kill chasers' because they feel unsatisfied by the lack of opposition and they see your squad off in another position a good distance away and immediately start chasing, while a good number stay behind to secure point.

So in summation:
                On your side you have: Full squad strength, an completely non-suppressed position, and enemy awareness... oh but you lost the point, whoops.
                On the enemies side they have: a splintered squad who is either hunting for enemies or defending the point, a compromised impromptu defense, not all of them are fully aware of your position and... the point
                This strategy also works well with trap laying. I can't tell you the number of times I've retreated off a point after laying some C4 or proxy mines and waited for them to try to take it. Personally I'd like to try the C4 against a max crash sometime.

Comment

I like it, Zep. Also, that would allow additional squads the chance to attack the objective where there are now less enemies.

Star, if they're rushing your position the fight would not be long enough for the guys at the back to matter. If you fend off 90%, that last 10% probably won't be winning either -> which is why you shoot the guys at the front or the medics. Otherwise you make use of flanking, or retreating etc.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                    Exactly what you have in quotes there, except add "/" in front of squad. Like so:

Code:
                    /squad kick phaelah
                    Personally I do not mind kicking people as PL, as long as you have your callsigns together and use otherwise proper comms procedure. Example:

Bravo Lead: "Bravo Comms."
                    PL: "Go Bravo."
                    Bravo Lead: "Please kick B4 and 7."
                    PL: "Roger."

I mean, how long did that take? Most of the time the PL is in the map, it's just a matter of switching screens to the platoon management. If you include the callsigns (not names of players) it makes it very easy and fast for the PL to do. I think doing it this way also has the added benefit of "sending a message" to the entire platoon. Also, some people have long / complicated names (like me, lol), which are harder to type out, etc...
                    This might be said many times throughout a session though and, sometimes, people don't quite catch the comms and want it repeated.

Also, it really isn't about what the PL can deal with since everyone else in the platoon can hear this. Other SLs will, needlessly, either outright listen in or keep it in the background which is that much extra noise. Squad members in the other squads, so around 32 people, definitely don't need the distraction or comms clutter; they should be focusing on their roles. In fact, no one needs to hear about other squads being kept in-line - what if theirs are perfectly fine for the moment? No benefit at all.

Finally, squad level cohesion is controlled by the squad leaders, therefore it should be enforced by the squad leaders. Apart from anything else when I say someone is gone from the squad I want him gone now not after some comms and when the PL has a moment.

This topic has come up many times and I'd love to put it to a rest. There are no discernible benefits from the PL doing the kicking that the other squads can't achieve on their own, but there are problems with it.

Tip for kicking long or complicated names:

Go to the platoon management window, click the arrow next to their name, click "send message" (carefully, don't promote them), delete the space after their name (don't forget this, I don't think it works otherwise), delete the "whisper" and type "squad kick" after the slash. Hit enter and they're gone.

Actually, that gave me an idea for SOE, just typing the squad ID number to kick, like "/squad kick 5".

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJengles View Post
                      Actually, that gave me an idea for SOE, just typing the squad ID number to kick, like "/squad kick 5".
                      That would be excellent. a /squad ban command would be nice to deal with people who keep trying to rejoin as well.
                      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I've been wanting those last 2 things for a while ("/squad kick 5" and "/squad ban").

Yeah Jengles, I do suppose that you are right, it's more about all the other people in the platoon hearing it. Which can be seen as a good or bad thing, as I pointed out previously. And great shortcut there, I will be using that.

I do a similar thing with trolls with long/complicated names. They are not in squad, so I send them a squad invite or friend request using the Q spot menu, which puts their name in my text box, which I can then copy/paste into a /report dialog. BTW, it's right Alt to unbind your mouse from aiming, after which you can do all sorts of neat things like copy/paste, place markers on mimimap, etc.
                        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I agree that sometimes it isn't necessary to go through all those coms to kick a member(s); however, under certain conditions (I.e. small fight, at the warpgate), perhaps public executions would be more effective. Showing that we are serious about maintaining order may bring others back in line also.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                          ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

I'd rather people kick using the command. Doing it trough voip and PL imo gives perhaps the impression of a struggling disorganised platoon.

Handling it quietly comes across as organised and effective. The attentive player will notice the kick messages as well.

Comment

I actually had to start using the kick command because, I had people who would follow orders only but 30 seconds after the order was given or when I threatened to kick them.
                              So I moved everyone to one place an anyone who took too long to comply, I removed from the squad (I had an average squad BR of 25).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X