Gauging interest / scheduling PS2 Basic Infantry / Squad Member course

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauging interest / scheduling PS2 Basic Infantry / Squad Member course

I started jotting down some random thoughts in Notepad many months ago. I added to them. I added more. I reviewed some of the TGU materials from other titles. I myself took a Basic Infantry course in PR so many years ago. I jotted down more notes. I revised. I put the outline away in a drawer and pulled it out a month later and revised some more. I have watched every Wrel video, and followed every forum post here. I have many many hours in game now, in all roles, and have spent a lot of time in VR (my laboratory) "testing" things. I have spoken to many other outfits, attended their trainings, and reviewed some of their materials. I have led a lot of squads, and asked myself "if I had an hour or two to take these noobs aside, and try and pound something into their pea brains these new players aside in a classroom setting, and teach them the basics, what material would I cover?" Well, the answer is, the material in the following course:

Planetside 2 Basic Infantry / Squad Member Course

Topics to be Covered:

Basic Infantry/ Squad Member v2.0 (Fundamentals for All Classes)
    • intro to VR
    • situational awareness
    • contact reports
    • fire discipline
    • marksmanship
    • lag compensation in PS2
    • how to be a good squad member
    • beacons, sunderers, spawning and squad coheshion
    • basic tactics
    • in game UI
    • certs and upgrade paths
    • what does it mean to be TG?

The outline is currently pending final approval, and has had many revisions already (and probably will get some more) but that should be about the gist of it. It's a lot of material to cover, so I expect it to take 1.5-2 hours if I take the time to engage students, ask questions, perform exercises, etc. instead of just giving a monotone one sided lecture (we will take a break halfway through).

This course will be offered officially through TGU, therefore when you complete it you will be recognized officially on the forums and receive a cool Basic Infantry pin like I have in my sig (under the ribbons). But more importantly, you will gain the knowledge; something I think is sorely needed by some of the newer players to PS2 (and especially those new to TG).

I am thinking of running this on a Sunday afternoon, and maybe every Sunday afternoon (and then maybe after a while, every other) for as long as there is interest. I plan to open it up to as large as platoon size, and may even open it to pubbies if it doesn't get out of hand.

Please post up if you are interested, and if so would Sunday afternoon work for you. I realize many people who visit the forums may be beyond the stage of Basic Infantry, so I will also be advertising this in game to reach the portion of our membership that doesn't visit the forums (which is probably the portion that also most needs this course, unfortunately).
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: Gauging interest / scheduling PS2 Basic Infantry / Squad Member course

Well shoot, why not, also may want to include something about what it means to be an engie and how you could be a medics BFF. I like the course as is, but those are just ideas

Comment

Sign me up!!!!

I won't be much around on the planetside forums but if your are able send me a PM when you know the time and date.
      TG-189ᵀᴴ ArmaXO TGU Instructor

Comment

I support this training, as I would support most any training. I believe training is useful and leads to better outcomes.
        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Originally posted by DocFinley View Post
          Well shoot, why not, also may want to include something about what it means to be an engie and how you could be a medics BFF. I like the course as is, but those are just ideas
          There was already discussion that this material was too long as is. I just couldn't figure out a way to break it down logically into any smaller chunks, like over 2 classes for instance. Besides the fact that it's hard enough to get people together once, nevermind for two classes.

So what we figured we would do is have some separate modules for each class/kit, i.e., Heavy Assault, Medic, Engi, etc. Each short (~30 minute) module / course would cover the basics of that class, their role within the cohesive squad, basic tactics and positioning particular to that class, as well as discussion of certing strategies. IronMan (one of our best Engis) is working on the module for Engineer for instance. RAGE said he would get something together on Infil (although that was a while ago, and I know he is playing a lot of BF4 nowadays).

Besides the small, kit specific modules, I have already run a couple of test / dry run SL courses, and continue to refine that material. Also I have been scratching down ideas on a PL course. I have already fleshed out (and run) the basics of some Galaxy piloting classes as well: Beginner, Intermediate / Air Drop, and Advanced / Battle Gal, that I plan on doing personally. In other words, get some of the best from our community to each teach their specialty.

Getting all of these going will take time, but I believe the effort will be worth it in the end.
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by woesterudolf View Post
            Sign me up!!!!

I won't be much around on the planetside forums but if your are able send me a PM when you know the time and date.
            Will do!

Originally posted by Garthra View Post
            I support this training, as I would support most any training. I believe training is useful and leads to better outcomes.
            I concur, which is why I am so gung ho to get this going.

Comment

Well I'll work out the kinks in my old medical applicator and see if i can do some good on the field again. I ain't the best in anything but i'll be glad to throw a few things i've learned if you ever need to ask.

Comment

Interested.

I'll observe and let others have a shot at the questions, haha.

It's great to see this sort of thing being put together.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Just a though, but a natural division point for the material seems to me to be between the individual-level stuff,

intro to VR
                  in game UI
                  situational awareness
                  contact reports
                  fire discipline
                  marksmanship
                  lag compensation in PS2

...and the higher-level stuff

how to be a good squad member (including cohesion)
                  beacons, sunderers, spawning and squad coheshionSpawn Mechanics
                  basic tactics
                  certs and upgrade paths
                  what does it mean to be TG?

In particular, I don't feel that "cert and upgrade paths" is something that your valuable in-game teaching time needs to be spent on. There's potentially a LOT to cover on that subject and it tends to bring up a lot of "what's the best weapon" questions. I think the forums is a better place to handle that, perhaps with some manner of Basic Certification Guide to help new players plan out their kits.

That's just my two cents, it seems like a lot of material to cover in one go.

I'll be gone in a couple of days to the land of internet that is not acceptable for online gaming, so I likely won't be able to attend unless this gets postponed to 2014, but I wish you all the luck in your cat-herding enterprise.
                  Last edited by Strait Raider; 12-13-2013, 05:04 PM.
                  Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                    Just a though, but a natural division point for the material seems to me to be between the individual-level stuff,

intro to VR
                    in game UI
                    situational awareness
                    contact reports
                    fire discipline
                    marksmanship
                    lag compensation in PS2

...and the higher-level stuff

how to be a good squad member (including cohesion)
                    [s]beacons, sunderers, spawning and squad coheshion[/s]Spawn Mechanics
                    basic tactics
                    [s]certs and upgrade paths[/s]
                    what does it mean to be TG?

In particular, I don't feel that "cert and upgrade paths" is something that your valuable in-game teaching time needs to be spent on. There's potentially a LOT to cover on that subject and it tends to bring up a lot of "what's the best weapon" questions. I think the forums is a better place to handle that, perhaps with some manner of Basic Certification Guide to help new players plan out their kits.

That's just my two cents, it seems like a lot of material to cover in one go.

I'll be gone in a couple of days to the land of internet that is not acceptable for online gaming, so I likely won't be able to attend unless this gets postponed to 2014, but I wish you all the luck in your cat-herding enterprise.
                    Yeah, that is a good point, and I like that division, I may even go with it and break this into two parts along those (or similar) lines. Even the old Prof. (E-Male) said keep it to one hour, and I know this has kind of always been the rule of thumb in TGU. Another advantage being all the OPFOR stuff would be in the second part and therefore easier to schedule (we can postpone it to next week, giving more response time in the OPFOR thread).

Part I: Becoming a Strong Individual Soldier
                    Part II: Becoming a Part of a Strong Organization

or something like that. And then we could just alternate Sundays. Part I would be a prerequisite to Part II.

"beacons, sunderers, spawning and squad coheshion" is not so much about Spawn Mechanics as it is about Medics, holding your spawn, etc. as discussed in this thread. Which will be an absolute game changer once it reaches wider adoption.

And the "certs and upgrades paths" discussion is a very short one, basically "there is no best weapon / there are a lot of side grades (not up grades)" - "test things in VR" - "there are a few either/or gotcha paths" and "here are some more resources to do your own homework as this is always changing."

Then, we are planning on some additional kit specific modules (separate from this course) where we discuss roles of specific kits and then some current certing options specific to each role. That info will need to be kept more up to date over time, but I think some things are so important they deserve to be touched on (for example for HA: Gauss SAW certing and handling (much misunderstanding with the default HA weapon, when certed properly and in the right trained hands it becomes the God SAW), Hawk should be first missile, AV grenades, etc.).

There is a little more, but I don't want to give out the whole course here in this thread. But I think you get the idea. I just wanted to address your feedback specifically as it is appreciated. If you are interested in reviewing the full outline and providing any additional feedback, I could PM it to you.

Comment

I am very much interested and might be able to help around Christmas time. I agree that you should keep the individual stuff separate to the squad based things. Teach us how to kill things, how to aim well, account for bullet drop, what immediate upgrades can help killing things/personal survival.

Personally, I think you can cut the individual things to a thirty minute session and the squad stuff to a thirty minute session as well. It'd be a tight schedule but its possible.

But I must stress that BASIC Upgrade paths are crucial. When we all start we want to feel like we are progressing, this is helped with Upgrading our personal equipment (plus the game benefits when people buy a few weapons). Suit Upgrades are musts, Ability Upgrades are cake, Tool Upgrades bring in the dough, and gun's need scopes.

Comment

As much as I would like squad members to know all of the material, I agree it should be split. There are plenty that can't play for too long and having people drop mid-way through a course will be very confusing later on when setting up another lesson and making sure they've covered everything, as well as frustrating for the students.

You could still run these back to back, you'd just stop after the first, write people's names down and let them know they've passed. Then briefly advertise the next lesson and take a break.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJengles View Post
                          You could still run these back to back, you'd just stop after the first, write people's names down and let them know they've passed. Then briefly advertise the next lesson and take a break.
                          Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind as well. That way anyone could take either or both halves on any given Sunday.

Comment

I'll try to be there. Also randy and I did an engineer class today and it seemed to go well ran longer then I wanted but we ended up testing stuff in VR at the end.

Comment

My suggestion, Condense the training to one hour. Many have have jobs where they sit the training, briefs, etc for hours during the week already. Coming home to expect to add almost two more hours to that in PS2 will hurt the participation level. Just my opinion as I am a firm believer in the KISS philosophy. Plus, people generally have a short attention span.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X