Open Discussion on Armor in PS2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Discussion on Armor in PS2

Lets get a discussion on Armor, and its perceived role, by the TG community.

Important Questions:

-What's the role of Armor?
    -What is Armor Good Against/Weak Against?
    -Is it good practice to allow mixing of Armor/Infantry units in the same squad? Should this never be done?
    -What are the most valuable upgrades?
    -What tactics can be employed by multiple units of armor?
    -What are must know's for noobies?

ect. etc.
    No person can simply just be; they are what they do.

Re: Open Discussion on Armor in PS2

As a sidenote, this is pretty broad, maybe it could be broken up into separate topics?

Re: Mixing infantry and armor in the squad

If you're a dedicated armor squad, infantry are a no-no. They can't keep up with armor's mobility so they slow the formation down, and they just aren't good at the sort of mobile, open-field combat you'll be seeking out as an armored squad. They dilute your number of vehicles your squad has, decreasing its ability to stay effective in combat.

In an infantry squad it's a bit blurrier - armor can keep up, unless you're running airborne. Except for biolabs and certain facilities on Esamir, armor can provide useful support. Armor is also by nature more autonomous and doesn't need as much input from the squad leader as infantry. It still brings down your infantry numbers, so you've really got to weigh whether it's better to have fire support or two more infantry in the next engagement. Up to the squad leader's personal discretion.

In either situation it adds more workload on the squad leader and dilutes your forces. I think on the whole it's something that should be avoided when possible.

While I love the idea of working in close coordination with armor and infantry, in the kinds of large-scale battles we find in Planetside, I think it's better to have separate units for armor and infantry.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I've always viewed armour squads as long range artillery support. They can deliver huge amounts of firepower at ranges nobody else can match, but don't usually take attrition well. When I've PLed, I've always put armour squads on the perimeter to provide fire support, lock the enemy into close defense of the point where our infantry can finish the fight, and to catch enemy reinforcements.

Comment

The way I usually see it shake out is that armor works as (quite appropriately for the NC) the vanguard of the infantry force.

You need infantry to take and defend facilities. No battle can be won without some number of infantry. Infantry needs transportation, spawn points, and fire support to be maximally effective. Armor protects the infantry's transportation and spawn points (Sunderers) and provides fire support while attempting to deny the enemy the same advantages by taking out their transport, spawn points, and armor.

Armor's a great supplement to infantry. Used properly it can tie up a lot of the enemy's force and allow the infantry to move in and finish the job.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

The serious tanker should be working towards achieving the upgrade path below.

Cert upgrades : max rival combat chassis, max shield, max nanite repair, AP cannon, max reload, max ammo, 1.75 zoom
          : enforcer (secondary), all the zoom, reload, and ammo upgrades maxed.

Tank vs Tank :

Most important thing is to always have an exit strategy and move in incrementally from cover to cover. Once you are stopped take a look around and find where you are going to fall back to just in case you are caught in the enemy's kill zone.

When engaging find superior positioning with an escape route, then just start shelling. No need to move around in a vanguard you will always win with superior positioning. Don't pop the shield immediately either. Wait for them to hit you a few times while your are hitting them. It can give them a false since of security if the shield doesn't go up right away. This could draw them out into the open. Then use the shield and finish them off. Finally, always have a secondary gunner and coordinate targets.

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

Those upgrades are pretty subjective. The Shield is kind of a no-brainer, but chassis and defence selection are personal preference.

It's an excellent build for a pure anti-tank role, but you're implying that pure AT is the only role for "serious tankers".

While a dual AT Vanguard is a beautiful machine of death, it's totally viable to run a dual-purpose or even anti-infantry Vanguard if you're in a larger group. An HE Vanguard with a Kobalt makes a mean, mean infantry support tank.

Comment

I have always had a preference for a Speed Chassis on my Vanguard so I can chase harassers, not letting them be pests and coming back later to finish me off. As well as just chasing an plain-Jane target that attempts to elude me by running away.
              Questions about those who deserve it!
              "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

-What's the role of Armor?

There seems to be different answers to this question but for me staying in one spot for a long period of time just shelling with the hopes of killing something is not what armor should be doing. I've certed my vanguard with the sole purpose of hunting and destroying enemy armor or anything with wheels or wings if they get close enough. Thats what armor should be doing keeping the enemy armor as far away from the infantry as possible. If you keep the armor in one single location shelling a base or objective it is giving the enemy time to organize a counter which we've all seen happen. As soon as the repair sundie goes down the squad starts falling apart because everyone was bunched up thinking the sundie was going to keep them all alive. When shelling a base you have have to keep the armor far enough to not get hit but doing this it reduces the accuracy of the armor squad and also there are very few opening in the base that the squad can even shoot through to consider it it a suppressive shelling. yeah supporting the friendly infantry is great but how effective is shelling in planetside? TG infantry squads are organzied to support each other in firefights like holding your sqawn so a medic can revive you and sticking together.

So what is (or should be) the role of armor? my answer. To keep enemy armor and airforce away from the infantry.

-What is Armor Good Against/Weak Against?

I might of already answered this question. Armor is good for being the first to the scene (unless its Airbourne or biolab fights) taking out enemy implacements and armor. Clearing the way for the infantry. Once the infantry is engaged the armor should put themselves between the current objective and the next to block the enemey from sneaking a sundie or armor to harrass the infantry. So once the current objective is captured they are moving to the next while the infantry regroups and rearm.

What is Armor weak against? besides a zerg of enemy armor. Armor is weak against bad or communication. A lib should never be allowed to fly over a armor squad without anyone saying anything until the last minute. Same goes for Harrassers. I am always doing a 360 perimeter check, by doing this most of the time im the first to call out and q spot enemy targets.

-Is it good practice to allow mixing of Armor/Infantry units in the same squad? Should this never be done?

I personally believe its okay unless SL or PL have further plans like switch continents or moving to a biolab.

-What are the most valuable upgrades?

the most valuable upgrades are speed chassie and reload.

-What tactics can be employed by multiple units of armor?

like ive said before. Secure the perimeter of the base before the infantry arrives. No one wants to pull their sundie with 12 ppl in it into a battlefield where enemy armor is roaming around. Let the armor take them out. take out the turrets. taking out turrets makes it easier for the air squad to do their gun runs. Once there is nothing left to kill move to a buffer position to deny the enemy to bring up armor from another base.

-What are must know's for noobies?

always check whats around you and dont pop your shield when you first get hit.

Comment

I've been loving that we are running more armor squads now. The main point I want to make for this discussion is that tanks need to be supported. An optimal squad would be 3 sundies(ammo and 2 repair), 1 skyguard, 6 vanguards with mixed secondaries, and an harasser. The ammo sundy has to remember to drive around to the other tanks to keep them supplied. The sundies should have 1 AA turret on each and the other is whatever they prefer. The skyguard does not need to be explained. Six vanguards with a secondary mixture of 3 ap, 2 ai, and 1 Basilisk. The harasser main role would be pulling enemy tanks closer to the squad and obviously harassing. It could be replaced with another skyguard and vanguard.

Comment

An alternative to the harasser could be speed upgraded AP Lightnings. I've got fond memories of the pre-harasser days, running the wide flank of an armor column with BlackPython or one of our other skilled Lightning drivers.

Two lightnings working together are absolutely more destructive than a 2/2 MBT while still being fast enough to flank and even chase down harassers.

Comment

Yea, should of said "IMO". It was implied. I like to run a pure anti tank role because as an NC it is one of the only times in this game that I don't feel bullied by the other factions. "Oh mister prowler you are just going to drive right at me firing your dual cannons? I'll just stay here behind my hill landing my shots waiting for you to inevitably explode."

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

For the last couple of days I have been doing nothing but driving my over powered death machine (Vanguard) and leading armor squads trying out new things. I have a question for those that have joined a squad that I or Bolivian were leading. How do you feel about this new tactic of roaming around looking for fights. I asked this question after leading a squad deep behind enemy lines where TR and VS were fighting each other in Esamir. Everyone seemed to have fun and really enjoyed it. I tend to avoid the artillery role that armor is "suppose" to do. you don't get alot of certs and kills and just sitting in one location waiting for the enemy to come is not really fun. I've been working on this with Bolivian and we both came up with this new tactic of just taking the squad and swinging around the enemy's flank and destroying all their armor. Some of you that have joined the squads have seen just how effective this tactic really is. It changes the battle in seconds. There have also been times where we were outnumbered and by retreating and relocating the armor at the enemy's flank we have destroy most if not all there support.

If anyone that has joined any of our squads please give us your input. Do you prefer this new tactic instead of the traditional role, and would you like to see it more often. Also please let us know about how we squad lead. Since there is not much on how to lead a armor squad we have been making it up as we go. If you have any questions also please ask. Thanks and thank you to everyone that has joined one of our squads it really helped us alot.

Comment

I really enjoyed your wolf pack armor squad yesterday on esamir. Attacking was fun, but what I like the most about it is how autonomous we were as a squad. We didn't need back up and kept the enemy at bay for a long while. When we hunkered down next to the river, after we took causalities, the squad or two of VS/TR that tried to take us out couldn't touch us. I have a highly upgraded vanguard, and would love to be apart of your armor squad anytime you are running them.

-Your squad leading was excellent. Keep it up.

(I purchased racer just to keep up with you guys)

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

Thats what we are trying to accomplish. Have the squad be completely autonomous. Since the tactic is about reading enemy movements and relocating to the best position before they arrive. I wasn't expecting both TR and VS to pull that much armor, we were in the middle of their battle so I had the squad reposition towards the river where we had a 180* view of the whole battle and could engage both sides. Once we started taking losses due to enemy air I had the squad sneak by the TR through that little goat pass.

Speed is very important and you will notice just how much better racer is for this.

Thank you! I've thought that I may of been micro managing a little to much =p

Comment

I often times try to find open ground where LAs cant go, but tight enough to give us supporting cover. One good example is the fields north of The Octagon, many Spires but allows armor a lot of room. I think that this is one tactics which I tried and I will stick to as well. There alone, Ghost and I took out like 6 Prowlers leaving and saved a base by ourselves by eliminating their ability to have armor spawn camp us.
                              Questions about those who deserve it!
                              "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X