Heavy Assault Cert help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Assault Cert help

I need help deciding how to cert my heavy assault. I have been avoiding playing it because the stock NC1 Gauss SAW is terrible. A fullly decked out Gauss SAW is amazing, but thats 300+ certs to get. SO here is the question. I need to buy a hawk Anti-air lock on rocket and I need to do something about my primary. I have heard good things about the GD-22S but not enough to decide if it is right for me. I currently plan on working towards an EM1 with foregrip or extended mags (alternate kit perhaps). The third option is also one of the most expensive, and is to cert out the Gauss SAW. Assuming I get a reflex sight and a tac scope, thats 360 certs. The EM1 with a reflex is 280 certs. The GD-22S with decent reflex sights (stock iron sight picture is crap, other two are acceptable) is 130 certs and 230 if I get a foregrip. going for a rocket launcher to farm some "surface-to-air damage" EXP would be 250. EM1 would also work without reflex as it's stock iron sights are okay. I tend to like the sustained fire and suppression capabilities of 100 round mag LMGs over the AR/LMG hybrid of the GD-22S and I often find myself fighting at mid range closing into closer ranges at which the Gauss SAW just won't cut it. Currently, it's barely useful past 30-40 meters (though good bursting can land hits). The EM1 is closer range and designed more towards sustained fire with short reloads and I really like the feel of it range-wise in VR (though it really needs a 2x reflex instead of 4x tac scopes) The GD-22S is too foreign to me to tell if it's worth getting. I am >20 certs away from the GD-22S with 2x reflex but I'm unsure if it would work or if it's more profitable for my heavy assault if I work towards one of the other alternatives. I'm not well versed on the gun to tell, though I have heard some people here swear by that rifle. Anyone have any good advice for me here?
    -Sierra

Re: Heavy Assault Cert help

The GD-22S can be a bit more versatile in my opinion, but that is probably because I like to use as something closer to an assault rifle than a machine gun. I use the GD-22S and more often the NS-15M because of its faster reload. But the GD has the slower fire rate and hits harder making it good for suppression fire too. So it really depends on what you plan on do most of the time as a heavy. If you want to be equipped for a wider range of scenarios, I recommend the GD.

Comment

The Hawk is not a great cert farming device unless you intend to spend a lot of time in an anti-air capacity with other squad mates staring at the sky over a hot zone. You'd be better off getting a primary loadout that you are comfortable with, as that will contribute to your overall combat effectiveness much more than your rocket launcher.

I like the GD-22S because it handles like a carbine but still has solid stopping power. Capable hip fire with a laser sight, and decent range with a 2x scope. Useful when you don't expect to spend a lot of time at long range, but don't want to risk being stuck with a shotgun at the wrong time.

Overall, the heavy class is probably the most difficult class to outfit, IMO.
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

I'm seeing a distinct lack of love for the EM6, and I think it may be the gun for you.

For starters, here's the NC LMG cyclic dpm breakdown at close range:

-93236 - EM-1
        -96359 - GD-22 / SAW-S
        100000 - NC6 SAW
        100200 - EM6 / Anchor

So for starters, you're going from the least damaging to the most damaging NC lmg, always a bonus.

It carries 100 rounds in the mag like the EM-1 or the Gauss SAW. With its slower rate of fire, 100 rounds will last you longer in the EM-6 than in the EM-1 (but not as long as in the Gauss SAW). To balance that out, the EM-6 has a 1.0 second longer reload than the EM-6 (but 2.0 seconds faster than the Gauss SAW).

As far as soft stats go, the EM-6 again sits between the EM-1 and the Gauss SAW, but is overall closer to the EM-1 in terms of handling. They have the same first shot recoil. In sustained fire the EM-6 recoils slightly higher vertically but slightly less horizontally compared to the EM-1. The EM-6 starts with a smaller cone of fire than the EM-1 but its cone of fire blooms quicker under sustained fire. It also settles quicker, allowing faster follow-up bursts. All in all the EM-1 is slightly better suited to sustained fire, the EM-6 is better for medium to long bursts of fire. (And the SAW is best used in fairly short bursts) I find the EM-1 and EM-6 to handle fairly similarly, the differences are pretty small, so I prefer the EM6 for its damage output.

Obviously with its better accuracy and higher damage per shot the EM-6 is hands down better at long-range than any NC LMG short of the Gauss SAW (especially if you choose a foregrip/HVA/Compensator combo, but that's pricey and not really needed). I know long-range doesn't sound like your cup of tea, but it's a nice advantage to have nonetheless.

The EM-6 is considered the all-rounder of the NC LMGs, and as such it can mount a good array of useful upgrades:
        All 3 barrel attachments
        Extended mags, if that's what floats your boat
        Adv. Laser sight, foregrip, and the all-powerful flashlight
        All 8 lmg scopes (most importantly it can mount the 2x reflex)
        High Velocity Ammunition (if you can deal with the higher recoil)

What it doesn't have: Advanced foregrip, soft point ammunition

The only unfortunate thing is that the EM-6 is 500 certs to unlock, if I recall correctly. On the flip side the EM-6 is great right out of the box, it doesn't need any extra certs to work well (except a reflex sight, as it has the same horrible iron sights as the EM-1).

I'm a hardcore fan of the Gauss SAW, (460 certs invested in it) and I love its utter dominance at med-long range, but I think that the EM-6 is hands down the best NC LMG in most situations. Its versatility and power is unmatched.
        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I have an EM6 for longer range engagements. I like it, but I found that I needed a compensator, HVA and foregrip before I felt comfortable with it. So I wouldn't recommend it on a budget.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

The GD-22S is a good gun for many situations. It'll never be excellent at any one thing but dead is dead and Heavies are very potent threats in CQC.

Now if there is the funds available I'd certainly suggest buying a gun with SC over Cert purchases. This is because Certs are a commodity able to be spent in other areas (and well SOE does need money).

On the subject of Heavy Upgrades what Ability and suit slot do you use? Do you have the Medical Applicator?

Comment

I guess I just don't get the GD-22S. On paper it appears to be an EM6 with a little less hip and moving cone of fire in exchange for lower DPS and half the magazine size. The anchor's the same but at least it keeps the high DPS. I bought the GD-22 on sale to use as a CQB weapon but I never turned on to it. I prefer the quicker kills and fewer reloads of the EM6, although this may be more to do with my playstyle. I'm not what you would call a highly mobile player. I prefer to grab a position and lock it down, I like to set up and suppress corridors and funnels, so I prefer the larger mag capacity weapons. I rarely shoot on the move except at very close range, I basically never hip-fire, even at very close ranges so the GD-22's advantages are largely wasted on me. Different stroked for different folks.

That and I suppose that since I use the Gauss SAW most of the time anything else feels like a massively better handling weapon, and it's harder to tell the nuanced differences in handling. The EM6 feels positively tame in my hands and I haven't felt the need to get a compensator or foregrip for it. But then, I am using the EM6 as a close-range weapon whereas Steeler is using is as a long-range weapon where those slots make a bigger difference.

I guess the fact that I'm using the EM6 for CQB and Steeler's using it for long-range is a pretty good indicator of what an all-rounder it is.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

For me the appeal of the GD-22S, which I'll sometimes use as a more close quarters weapon, is that I can reload it quickly and use it like a heavy assault rifle. The lowered magazine size has never been an issue for me.

Comment

So here is what I am taking from all of this:
                  The EM6 is intended to be a jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none weapon but is really overpowered and is very very effective at everything (save for face slapping range combat and countersniping). Unfortunately, that's also a 500 cert gun and I don't have SC to spend on it. That said, if SOE does a double or triple station cash event for Christmas, I will definitely put $25 down and get some firepower.
                  I'm also hearing the GD-22S is great for use as a heavy assault rifle but not so much if you tend to do suppressive fire (which I often do at range with the Gauss SAW because of 100 rounds). For my style, suppressive fire is only done when I have the ammo capacity or range to safely squeeze off a reload (so not with the GD). IN my experience in VR, the GD is a notable bit more controllable out of the box than the EM6, which you can't tell on paper.

In response to Ytman, I have put literally 0 certs into my heavy so far. Both my repair tool and medical applicator are level 3 and I have med kit lvl 1 (though this is becoming almost useless since playing with an organized squad means medics always on hand). I am looking into certing a resist shield because the way I play is suited more to that over straight damage mitigation (there is usually a half second between shield up and stepping out into combat, making NMG less practical for me). I have considered playing with the advanced shield capacitor (needs a bit of a buff IMHO) and resist but I likely am going to go for nanoweave suit slot.

And thank you to everyone for throwing this wall of information at me. XD

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                    I prefer the quicker kills and fewer reloads of the EM6, although this may be more to do with my playstyle. I'm not what you would call a highly mobile player. I prefer to grab a position and lock it down, I like to set up and suppress corridors and funnels, so I prefer the larger mag capacity weapons. I rarely shoot on the move except at very close range, I basically never hip-fire, even at very close ranges so the GD-22's advantages are largely wasted on me. Different stroked for different folks.
                    I think Strait Raider hit the nail on the head right there. The larger mags are really at their most effective when you're stationary, since you can hold the position longer with suppressive fire. If you're going to be moving around a lot, ducking around corners frequently, you'll want a faster reload so you don't get caught with your pants down.

Comment

I have said it a million times and I will say it again, most infantry weapons in this game are side grades, not upgrades (i.e., you are giving up something to get something else). Much of it has to do with how you play and what "feels right" to you as a player. I always tell people to test extensively in VR, and find something you feel comfortable handling, before committing certs. Many of the stock weapons are not bad at all right out of the box (although the Gauss SAW may be the exception to this, see below).

In your very early game those certs you could have put into buying a different gun are probably better used upgrading your medical applicator, E tool, or certing AV grenades, bandolier, or some kind of overshield for your Heavy. Or AMS. Or maybe putting them into your Gauss SAW, if, like some of us, you also become a fan of it.

So, about that Gauss SAW. The NC HA default, and a highly misunderstood and maligned weapon, as right out of the box it has I believe the highest recoil in the game. But also the highest damage per bullet. 5 shots to center mass of an enemy at close range (6 at long) puts them down. Less of course if you can manage head shots. So, to deal with the recoil, put Advanced Foregrip on it and Compensator, and in skilled hands (learn to manage the recoil (including firing in bursts)) it becomes known as the God SAW. Also do not use HVA, as the bullet speed is high enough as is, and that only adds back into the recoil (which you are trying to reduce). Some people say it's only good mid-long range and certainly that is true (put a 3-4x scope when fighting outdoors over distances and you can even counter snipe with it in single shots as it has 0 first shot deviation) but I even like it at close-med range. Personally I like the red dot Reflexer scope on it for those close-med fights.

If you do decide you end up wanting a different gun (or vehicle weapon) I do recommend buying it with SC, if you can afford it. I am of the opinion save those precious certs for all the various upgrades you will need, as you can not get those with cash. There are a number of ways to get the most SC for your buck, which I should maybe make a separate post on because the info is so valuable to new players.

At the end of the day, make sure you report back after you have spent some time with whatever gun you decide on, for the benefit of others reading / making the same decisions later.
                      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

For suppression fire, the EM1 with extended mag for 200 round clip is great. I use it for this purpose all the time. It has great sustained accuracy, fast fire rate, and good reload time. Only major down fall for me using it is its lack of stopping power. But if a bunch of people had these then it wouldn't really matter in a tidal wave of bullets washes your enemies away. If you like TR weapons then the EM1 is a good weapon for you. Best part is its fairly cost effective at only 250 certs. Just my opinion though.

Comment

I love my EM1 =) fast reload and fast rate of fire. The recoil isnt that bad

Comment

Here's a couple videos I found very informative.

Keep in mind this first one is from about 8 months ago and is a little out of date in some areas - The Jackhammer is no longer a bad weapon (though I definitely don't recommend it as your primary heavy weapon), and the suit slots are about to be overhauled (shield capacitor has already been buffed, Flak is about to be buffed and nanoweave is about to be nerfed)

Here's a piece on the heavy shields which is more up to date

I don't have a firm position on which shield to use. I'm using the resist shield currently, and if you have high health/shields the resist shield will give you more effective health. The nice thing about the NMG/Adrenaline shield, and the reason I'm considering switching back, is that you don't have to worry about popping your shield before combat in order to get the maximum effect. This means you can wait longer before flicking on your giant glowing "shoot here" sign (and the movement speed reduction).

Wrel's got videos on a lot of different weapons and abilities, and I find he's a pretty good source of info, though his play perspective does come from more of a lone wolf position.

Comment

Just a heads up, regardless of what cert path you choose its going to take hundred+ hours of grinding to get your heavy where you want it.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                              ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...