No announcement yet.

Maintaining Good Sportsmanship in Video Games.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining Good Sportsmanship in Video Games.

Notice #1 I am a bit a hypocrite myself in writing this. I do not assume a position of superiority in this topic.

Notice #2 The hypothetical situations below do not take into account severe lag, fps drop (stuttering), and/or universally OP guns (i.e. prior Vulcan, maybe ZOE max).

Bit of background: I love sports and have participated in karate for several years and am playing in a basketball league currently. From my perspective the physical aspect of sports is only half of the equation; maintaining a strong mental attitude/good sportsmanship is vital and key to a successful career.

Purpose of writing: To mitigate the resentment, within and out of our outfit, toward opponents superior ability, tactics, and play styles.

Main content:

Planetside 2, as with all sports, is a highly competitive activity. From this rises the want to win, the aversion to losing, and the desire to be better than the person next to you. At the core this is not wrong or detrimental; from inequality rises the want to be better. However, without a positive mentality this can result in negative effects. What is a positive mentality (good sportsmanship)? I think it can be broken into three main points:

1. Accepting defeat
    2. Realizing you are not the best
    3. Not over doing celebration

1. Accepting defeat:
    Probably the most important is accepting defeat. This means knowing that you lost AND why you lost. It is easy to know that you lost but not so easily why. There are various reasons in Planetside 2 why you died/lost the base but usually why you lost means: The opponent is more skilled than you, the opponent had better position, the opponent had better weapons for the situation, and the inverse (You were not as skilled as your opponent, you were not in a good position, you did not have correct equipment). Once this is realized, not grudgingly, you will learn why you died and avoid further mistakes.

2. Realizing you are not the best:
    Too many times pride gets in the way of competition. Nobody likes to have inferior skills than somebody so we blame anything and everything we can. We blame our computers, lag, our opponents computer, the gun we are using, the OP'ness of the opponents side-arm, the absence of 7.1 surround sound....the list never ends. This attitude needs to end ASAP. You (no one in particular) are not the best, and there will always be someone better than you in some area or another.

3. Not over doing celebration
    We all like winning, and celebration is a natural response to that. However, this needs to be maintained and controlled. Sending snide tells to dead opponents, RPG'ing dead bodies so they can be viewed on the death screen....there is no place for that and does not encourage "healthy" competition.

Last notes:
    I hope this at least makes some impact and people on the server start to see that TG is a little different from the rest.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Re: Maintaining Good Sportsmanship in Video Games.

Absolutely. Winning or losing well is more important than whether you actually won or lost. I think the TG ethos really revolves around the idea that HOW we play is more important than any other consideration, and it's a large part of what's kept me coming back to this community. Some of my favourite moments have come from fights that we ultimately lost, where we played our best and still got our asses handed back to us on a platter.

Our goal here isn't to win, but to play the game beautifully, if you'll forgive the sappy turn of phrase. Winning is just a side effect of playing beautifully. In our case, that means using teamwork, communication, and solid and legitimate tactics and strategies, but also an attitude of respect, maturity, and humility.

Yeah, thanks for the timely reminder. I feel as if I have been yelling at my squads / platoons more lately. Getting a bit burnt out perhaps leading pubbies but that's no excuse.

I am very competitive and want to win. And I do try and explain to the platoon / squad "what went wrong" after a particularly bad action. Not to blame people or make anyone feel bad, but so we can learn from it and improve going forward. It does feel that new NC players in particular have so much to learn wrt just the basics. This is also why I have been so big on training lately. But anyway, back to the point.

Yeah I could probably stand to phrase some things better than I do some times lately. lol So, thanks again for the reminder.

Flip side of this is, squad members, please follow orders and grab the requested kits quickly. SLs and PLs (especially good ones) are few and far between in this game, so please do everything you can to make their jobs easier. Help them in herding the cats. Because without SLs and PLs, we have no squad / platoon and therefore, no fun!
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Superbly written and very articulate, there is one small detail missed under the factors of losing in "Accepting defeat"...........numbers. Many times the enemy can be under trained and poorly equipped and still defeat you by just having more numbers and your sides attrition will defeat you. No amount of skill in the world can defeat sheer volume of enemy.

Penny I'm extremely glad to see how you yourself have progressed as well in this've grown quite a bit and I hear it in your bearing as well.
        Last edited by Rageq3a; 12-23-2013, 06:10 PM.

Well said, Penny!

Penny, you are wise beyond your years.

Failure is particularly difficult for a generation that has been subjected to the "everybody gets an award" culture that dominates our time. I tell my students every semester that failure holds many important lessons. No one succeeds without first experiencing failure.

Likewise, winners must be gracious and humble in the awareness that failure lurks around the corner and will be their experience in the future. No one always wins (and if they do they are cheating drug-using bullying b@#$%ters like Lance Armstrong).

We all need to be kind in victory and be nice in defeat.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed