Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What command/outfit tools should SOE give us?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What command/outfit tools should SOE give us?

We all know that the in-game interface leaves something to be desired in terms of managing squads and platoons. My intent here is to hash out a list of tools that would give us the flexibility and power we're looking for, and then post them to the official forums in hopes that they'd be seen and eventually implemented. That is probably wildly optimistic on my part, but why not! At bare minimum, it'll give us a better feel for what's missing.

I'll start by throwing a few ideas in:
    • Give platoon leads visibility on the squad markers of individual squads. I remember how handy it was in Project Reality to flag a target or objective with the squad marker and then just be able to tell the commander that something was on my marker, instead of having to walk the PL's shots in, so to speak.
    • Give people the ability to place any of their available markers--personal, squad, platoon, whatever--by looking at a position and then using the Q-rose to drop the mark of their choice! Flipping back and forth between the map is ungainly.
    • Allow per-squad customizable squad size limits. If my squad only calls for having 8 people, let me run with just 8 people with no room for anyone else to join. If it calls for 16, let me have 16!
    • Either allow platoon leads to expand their platoon beyond four squads, or provide some sort of larger company-scale structure that allows platoons to link up and coordinate in a more useful way!
    • Give platoon leads the ability to talk to a specific squad lead at a time. In Project Reality, this went a long way towards keeping individual squads from getting spammed with comms that they didn't care about. This'd also need some way for squad leads to reply without spamming the entire platoon... maybe having to enable an option that disables platoon broadcast for everyone but the PL.
    • Allow platoon leaders to put themselves in a dedicated platoon lead slot instead of taking up a spot in a squad. Such a slot would insulate them from squad comms and allow full-strength squads.
    • Allow squad and platoon leads to designate fallback SLs/PLs for if they disconnect or crash. In particular, make it easy to filter out non-outfit members from getting those positions.

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Re: What command/outfit tools should SOE give us?

Looks like the pretty standard wish-list for new organizational tools.

The thing I want the most is a separate PL slot, as well as make galaxies and sundies hold 13 so a non-squad pilot can transport a full strength squad. It feels like we aren't allowed to actually have 12 people in a squad.

As for your second point, are you aware that you can hit alt to free your mouse, and then right click on the minimap to set waypoints? Admittedly that's a slightly different use case than using the q-rose but it's not entirely dissimilar.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

As for additional suggestions, let me see here....

1. Platoon leader (and squad leaders, but less so) should get some small percentage of the xp that the platoon earns, maybe 1% or .5% or less.
      2. Ability to ban people from squads, perhaps also something like a 1min cooldown on joining squads if you get kicked from one.
      3. More interaction with the map. Maybe not full-out drawing on the map like in PS1(how many people would cert into it and just draw *inappropriate images?), but maybe sticky notes on the map that the whole faction can see to share information? How about the ability to strategic symbols like lines or circles or icons for armor/air/infantry? Anything more strategic than the current handful of markers, smoke that doesn't render, and context-less crosshair and shield.
      4. Let squad members set a flag on themselves that indicates to the squad and platoon leaders that this person is willing/available to lead. It's 2013, why do we have to spend five minutes going 'anybody want to lead charlie squad? anybody?'
      5. Squad icons! Let each squad (or the platoon lead) choose an icon/avatar for each squad. Options should be things like the six class symbols, symbols for different vehicles, maybe others like swords, shields, and bows. Have a way for these symbols to perhaps show up on the squad markers so it could be easier for the rest of the platoon to see that an airstrike is designated for a certain location.
      6. Outfit ownership of a squad/platoon. This could be a checkbox with the rest of the squad options that would make so that, if checked, the only people that can lead a squad are people in the same outfit as the squad leader. If squad lead drops and no squad members are eligible, the squad will be closed.
      7. The list of squad members needs to have a different icon for piloting/driving than for gunning. There's no easy way to tell how many Vanguards are in an armor squad, for instance. You have to count them on the map. Helping BigGaayAl run liberator squads is a pain sometimes because it's impossible to see who's piloting without actually having eyes on all the libs.
      8. Vehicle icons on the map/minimap need to have numbers on them somehow, it's currently impossible to tell who is who by looking at a map. Even just having the squad leader's vehicle a slightly different color would be HUGE improvement.
      9. Ability to easily pop a squad out of a platoon and then into a different one. We shouldn't have to manually drop and rejoin to do this.
      10. Function to assign a specific enemy as a target, perhaps as a cert-able ability. Call it target painting or focus fire or something, could be useful for a thousand things: artillery style armor, formation lib squads, sniping squads, toning squads, AAA squads. Perhaps extra ranks of cert could allow for marking multiple targets. Perhaps it could replace the dorito with a crosshair?
      11. Ability to see squads(especially squads from your outfit) even if they're full, and ability to see the squad list even if you're in a squad. Should be a checkbox: "Show squads with no openings"
      12. Multiple monitor support please! A lot of people have two(or more) screens these days, let them have their maps/platoon management/giant matrix of chat windows on their other screens.
      13. Make platoon members actually render on the map for the platoon leader no matter how far apart they are. Same goes for places markers and smoke. Should also work cross-continent. If somebody wants to platoon lead totally by wire sitting back in the warpgate, the interface shouldn't be the thing stopping them.
      14. Ability to designate an XO and offload a configurable list of tasks to them: Markers, smoke, target designation, kicking/banning, member management, leader chat. XO should be able to to exist outside the regular platoon structure with the PL. Maybe keep it simpler and make it a co-PL so there's less checkboxes(I say this grudgingly, because I play EVE Online and I LOVE checkboxes).
      15. Some sort of ability to make simultaneous, coordinated spawning happen, perhaps you could 'lock' a spawn beacon and it queues up all the players that spawn on it and then you can 'unlock' it and they all spawn at once?

* Edited out inappropriate language - Mindkill
      Last edited by Mindkill; 12-25-2013, 05:40 AM. Reason: Edited inappropriate language

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

I want PL comms broken up so when PL is talking to alpha bravo and Charlie and delta can't hear him. It would require PLs to have 4 squad comm keys but it would let the other squads work with out interruption. And it would be optional so I guess not requiring them to have 4 keys.

I also like the idea of the PL being above the platoon in his own slot. I always feel like which ever squad has the PL is down one guy.

The vehicle seat count makes sense too. If running a mechanized squad havering 3 sundries or gals in it and then the rest armor or air would allow for dedicated pilots and they can cover each other easier and protect sundries or gals with in there squad as a posed to other squads assets.

The only issue I see is gunners. You would have to drop your gunners and then move a squad and then pick them back up.

Comment

Command Tools

-Company Level coordination: many ways to accomplish this. Personally I'd favor a 'Raiding Party' type interface where a Platoon leader could invite other Platoon Leaders to join a larger group. Functionally, it would change a darn thing regular members, heck they might not even know they are in something larger than a raiding party. However when there is a company level organization the respective platoon leaders are now able to utilize:

-Advanced Campaign Map- Basically the map from old PS1 days where you can draw on it. Only the PLs would be able to access this map and draw on it but this would allow them to coordinate better ingame and explain what they want to attempt visually.

-Orbital Strikes- Yes. I want these so bad but understand why SOE is so afraid to implement it. The only means I could envision making Orbital Strikes balanced is by having a long cool down timer, requiring a large amount of cooperation, and having some other mechanics to it. In this situation only a 'Company Leader' could call an orbital strike and it would use 'Company Level' specific resources which could only be gained during a Company's Creation and does not carry over between sessions. The key reason to use an Orbital Strike would be its ability to destroy secondary objectives to bypass the 'overload' mechanic. These would be incredibly rare and possibly take over an hour to accumulate the resources for.

Improved VOIP channels- Vehicles need to treat proximity as 'right next to you' for any person inside the vehicle with you. Platoon Leaders should be able to regulate Platoon VOIP. Command Channel should be continent specific.

Comment

I'll toss another into the ring: on the drop down menus for squad members, either put a confirmation box in or a separator between some of those different options! Last thing I need is to try to kick a problem squad member only to make him SL or invite him to the outfit.

Comment

A BIG problem I have when PLig is that a LOT Of people don't know how to open a squad, so maybe having the ability to change squad names by yourself.

Another problem is that you must be an SL, become PL then promote someone else to SL in order to be able to hear the Command Comms.
              Questions about those who deserve it!
              "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Perma-ban! The ability to ban someone from the squad and/or platoon until squad lead has changed or squad has disbanded.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Originally posted by BolivianRAMPAGE View Post
                  Another problem is that you must be an SL, become PL then promote someone else to SL in order to be able to hear the Command Comms.
                  SOE, Let people who certed into it have the option to listen to it, but if they are not squad lead they should not be able to communicate.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                  ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
                    SOE, Let people who certed into it have the option to listen to it, but if they are not squad lead they should not be able to communicate.
                    Well a PL has FULL control over the ENTIRE platoon, not just a squad. So I believe that allows the PL to also have the Command Comms. A lot of times when I am PLing, I stay at the WG or a Sundie and I watch the map, allowing for someone else to lead the squads. I don't know about you, but I don't multi-task so well, so I can't fully command my squad AND command another 3 squads in a platoon.
                    Questions about those who deserve it!
                    "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

As far as comms is concerned.............comms should be platoon/squad only. If you want to proxy anyone then do it through the Q-rose. I usually turn proxy off because of all the BS that goes on in it and prefer the sounds of war when I play.

Comment

Got an idea from Sierra's fireteam thread:

* Built in fireteam management for squads. Squad leads should be able to split their squad into 2-3 fireteams at will, and reorganize people between them. Squad members should be able to tell at a glance what fireteam they're on, so when the SL tells them what to do they know who's being referred to.

Comment

Thanks for taking the initiative on this SS. Lots of good ideas in here, some of the ones I would have said have been suggested. I will be interested to see how far the compiled info gets with SOE.
                          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Well, I'll still need to compile the bloody thing. :P

I don't know when I'll get to that, I've been crazy busy the last little bit and it's only getting wilder on my end. When I do, I'll post the draft here prior to posting to the official forums or reddit.

Comment

Awesome ideas guys.

-Sorting players in squads, drawing on the map, RTS-style unit selection, banning from platoon, cycling squad list on hud are planned, but keep getting bumped for higher priority things.
                              Taken from the developer Q&A. Thread on it here.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X