The Egg of the Phoenix Must Hatch!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Egg of the Phoenix Must Hatch!

I used to think the Phoenix missile was a terrible weapon. A few months ago, when it was in it's heyday, I never really understood all of the excitement. Looking at it's stats in game, I always thought "750 damage, woopdy do da..."

But a few (several?) weeks ago, I learned something that has dramatically changed my opinion of the Phoenix. Many of you know this already, but for those who may not:

The Phoenix has a damage modifier against vehicles that makes it hit like a Shrike (1750 damage?).

Or is it like a Decimator (2000 damage)? I don't exactly recall atm. Although I'm sure one of our resident math whizzes (Zepkron, Strait, YT, et al) will be along shortly with the correct info.

But wait, there's more! Not only does it hit like a brick, you can fire it from behind cover! You don't even need to expose yourself, like you do with a lock on (if you do like to expose yourself, please keep that to yourself, this is a family oriented type of place).

A related / additional benefit, is that there is no missile lock on tone warning for the target. Just BAM when the Phoenix hits, out of nowhere.

And finally, they are just so much damn fun to use! For me, there was a little learning curve initially, sure. But now I am getting really good at using them. Enemy tank tries to back behind cover or to the reverse military slope to repair? He is smoking already, and thinks he is safe, but.... BAM!! SURPRISE SUCKA! Tank kill.

I have taken out so many enemy Sunderers, right from the roof of our own spawn, or from a protected location behind cover on the outside of a tower, etc. that it is not even funny. And we all know how important spawns are in PS2, right (I should hope so!)?! Even if badly outnumbered, just a handful of people Phoenixing can wipe out the enemy Sunderer(s), completely stopping their ability to continue the attack.

But there is a problem. Some times, I am the only one doing it. And if the enemy have enough Engis repairing (Sunderers especially) I cannot overcome them while Phoenixing them by myself. So I am here to encourage more widespread Phoenix adoption. We did this in 2 squads the other night, led by Zepkron. Everyone who did not own a Phoenix trialed one. We wasted so much TR armor and Sundies, so fast, that we had to keep moving around and looking for additional targets. lol

I really think that one squad doing Phoenixes (or even like, 6 people) could make a massive impact on a battle. So I encourage everyone to let freedom ring and support SOE by purchasing the Phoenix! :)
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: The Egg of the Phoenix Must Hatch!

so you are the one who has been stealing all my kills!!!!! jk, When I decide to park my vanguard I will purchase the Phoenix =)

Comment

Pheonixes also do 95% damage to fighters, enough that they'll burn to death within a couple seconds. It's a great way to deal with cocky lolpodders who won't leave your spawnroom alone.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

I've run Phoenix squads, pre PU02. They are as wonderfully destructive as you claim, Randy, and very flexible. They're vulnerable to air units (so having nearby AA support is helpful) and their DPS isn't as high as other launchers due to the time spent in flight and not reloading, but their alpha strike is fantastic at any range and a coordinated volley will destroy almost any target. The enemy can shoot them down, but I've only very rarely seen a Ranger or Burster pulled to counter Phoenix spam, and if you're doing it right they won't have the time to realize what's hitting them!

And, of course, now that PU02 has buffed Phoenix launchers by both dropping their reload time and by removing the range advantage lock-on launchers used to have, they're just that much more awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
          And, of course, now that PU02 has buffed Phoenix launchers by both dropping their reload time and by removing the range advantage lock-on launchers used to have, they're just that much more awesome.
          This is part of the reason I became motivated to make a post on this now. The Hawk used to be universally recommended as "baby's first missile purchase" and maybe it still is, but I really think now the Phoenix has moved up the list, to number 2, maybe even #1. What do you guys think?
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Those 2 squads of Phoenixes were a hell of a lot of fun. Some individuals decided to rush us in armor or Harassers, even run over us, but they barely made it to the opposite slope before exploding.

Although right at the start, with loads of enemy armor at the Crown, we all aimed at different targets and many just backed away to safety. After a while, people were following each other's rockets to hit the same target, which helps greatly with that many of us, but I still think SLs should call targets for priorities sake. Then, people can adjust if it's overkill.

Also, I wonder whether 1 squad of Phoenixes and 1 of Annihilators might be more effective - the Annihilators have better range and can shoot Air targets.

Originally posted by Daelon Suzuka View Post
            Pheonixes also do 95% damage to fighters, enough that they'll burn to death within a couple seconds. It's a great way to deal with cocky lolpodders who won't leave your spawnroom alone.
            I shoot down fighters and scare away Libs at close range with my Decimator all the time (one hit kill on fighters) - it's more effective than flak when pilots are dominating so much that they get overconfident. I think you'd be better off with the Skrike or Deci as they're already hard to hit but at least you can jump back behind cover whenever you miss. Whereas the the phoenix is ridiculously slow, enemies can literally watch it fly toward them and move out of the way, and it leaves you very exposed.

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
            I've run Phoenix squads, pre PU02. They are as wonderfully destructive as you claim, Randy, and very flexible. They're vulnerable to air units (so having nearby AA support is helpful) and their DPS isn't as high as other launchers due to the time spent in flight and not reloading, but their alpha strike is fantastic at any range and a coordinated volley will destroy almost any target. The enemy can shoot them down, but I've only very rarely seen a Ranger or Burster pulled to counter Phoenix spam, and if you're doing it right they won't have the time to realize what's hitting them!

Wow, that sounds like a counter that's just waiting to happen - flak and rapid fire weapons. I've seen individuals very rarely protect themselves, but a squad could easily have someone shoot down as many of our rockets as possible :(

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
            This is part of the reason I became motivated to make a post on this now. The Hawk used to be universally recommended as "baby's first missile purchase" and maybe it still is, but I really think now the Phoenix has moved up the list, to number 2, maybe even #1. What do you guys think?
            Between the Phoenix's extra range and the Annihilator's damage increase I think those two fight for first place. Meanwhile, the Hawk had its dumb fire nerfed into the ground so it has no major benefit over the Annihilator - the shorter lock on time is nothing to get excited over - making it perhaps the worst launcher.

Unless you know you're fighting relatively close, players are always going to favor anything with reliability at range and a mix of viable targets. The Shrike and Decimator are too slow and the Hawk used to be too fast so that it took out armor better than dedicated armor killers -> which is why the Hawk was such an amazing option. Now, they've fixed the order of those, but balance is still skewed against them. Really, SOE need to tinker with dumb fire speed, so that you can compete with lock ons at range if you're a good shot but still not be quite as effective. Tankers with situational awareness would have more fun dodging rockets than backing out of lock on distance.

Randy, does your dumb fire trick really work for you? I've tried holding fire and then tapping the scope (instead of the other way around), but I still get the camera. Someone else confirmed that it doesn't work for them either.

You can quick fire though, if you shoot as normal and then hit your Air vehicle exit key as fast as possible, which exits the camera so you can move. This also speeds up DPS marginally if you exit before hitting stationary targets, but aim at their top or just above them because there's some medium strength gravity for unguided rockets.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJengles View Post
              I shoot down fighters and scare away Libs at close range with my Decimator all the time (one hit kill on fighters) - it's more effective than flak when pilots are dominating so much that they get overconfident. I think you'd be better off with the Skrike or Deci as they're already hard to hit but at least you can jump back behind cover whenever you miss. Whereas the the phoenix is ridiculously slow, enemies can literally watch it fly toward them and move out of the way, and it leaves you very exposed.
              When all you've got is a Pheonix, everything looks like a nail.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

I don't know if this still works or not, but you can increase your "flight sensitivity" on the setting and it use to directly affect the turning radius of the Phoenix. For all tense and purposes PS2 viewed the Phoenix rocket as a manned vehicle. Did they increase the range? That use to be the major drawback to my using it. Also even though your guiding the rocket you can use the character movement keys to get your character back in cover, granted you won't be able to tell if your fully behind cover or not while looking through the camera.

Comment

Range is still 300m, and can't be increased due to technical issues (according to the devs, you'd require a loading screen after each shot if you went any further). However, the short range is less of a drawback now that other anti-ground missile launchers have had their range shortened to the same 300m.

As an added bonus, if Strikers are getting bad it's now a lot easier to step out of range in armour or aircraft (which now are locked on at 450m). :)

Comment

Phoenix is my default weapon. All anyone need do is join me.

Comment

I was with you guys the other night when we all got Phoenixes (sp?) out (on trial, mostly) and started shelling the TR. It was awesome. After I get the enforcer on my vangaurd, the Phoenix is next up.
                      MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

I am definitely more confident with a Decimator if I am alone, but in a squad, a Phoenix is SO MUCH MORE USEFUL. This is because alone, you are exposed and they can find where your rockets are coming from since they are so slow.
                        Questions about those who deserve it!
                        "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

When the Phoenix first came out, several people suggested its potential as a recon tool. That never panned out in a formal way, but I have been in a few situations where being able to get a camera up above a facility or hillside has made it possible to peg armor and spawn locations and then relay that info up the chain of command.

It's also useful for flanking hardened infantry. With a little practice you can send those rockets through doors and windows. Not an optimal use, DPS-wise, but very demoralizing.
                          In game handle: Steel Scion
                          sigpic

Comment

My favorite thing about the Phoenix is its ability to 1 hit KO on mana turrets...great for stopping the farmers.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
                            ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
                              My favorite thing about the Phoenix is its ability to 1 hit KO on mana turrets...great for stopping the farmers.
                              I did that twice yesterday while we were attacking, the TR were setting up AI turrets on the landing pads, I was able to cover our approach by knocking them out pretty easily.
                              MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X