Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who can pull a [insert specialization here]?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who can pull a [insert specialization here]?

Many times while in a Squad/Platoon, I will hear a call for some specialized vehicle. And it sucks not being able to step up and offer to pull something.
    But still being relatively new, I haven't quite figured out what loadouts convert a base vehicle to a more specialized vehicle, so I thought I might ask here. Or at what ranks of certs, I am qualified to pull something during ops / alerts.

Can someone fill me in on what weapons and certs should be focused on when wanting to pull:

Battle Galaxy - And does this suffice for drops or would you cert a gal differently for infantry drops?
    Repair / Ammo Sunderers - My understanding so far is that Repair needs to be high level. Does this mean at least 5 ranks? What other certs make it viable?
    Skyguard (AA turret on Vanguard?)

Also, if there are other specialized vehicle names that you guys use, could you add them to list? And point out what the best loadouts for them would be?

Thanks!

Re: Who can pull a [insert specialization here]?

For galaxies, a stock galaxy will do the trick for squad transport if you can fly it, but a battle galaxy typically has a good airframe, additional armour or a damage mitigation tool like nanite repair or fire suppression, and well certed guns that usually include bulldogs on the wings. It's a pretty pricy piece of kit that you have to really specialize into to do well. Generally the people who have them are people who really enjoy the unique role and have dumped a LOT of certs into them.

Sunderers can typically hold their own with any gun loadout. Repair I think needs to be at least rank 4 to be really useful, but better to ask one of the tank commanders here about that because I almost never run armour myself. Ammo is useful at even rank 1, and the range increases as it gets bigger, and it's a pretty cheap upgrade as I recall.

Skyguards are just Lightning tanks with the Skyguard AA gun. They're typically treated as a distinct vehicle from the basic lightning with that weapon partially because of how the unique role it fills changes the entire threat profile of the tank, and also because Skyguards were a distinct class of vehicle in the original Planetside (where it was a 2 man AA buggy). A Skyguard lightning is pretty much fine with just the main gun, but a racer chassis, top armour/nanite repair/fire suppression, and additional ammo all go a long way to boosting it.

Comment

Usually we seem to be set as far as gal pilots go. A lot of guys here come from ARMA and Battlefield games and can't get their rocks off unless they're running a hot VTOL insertion.

The Skyguard costs a thousand certs for the gun alone. You can easily spend a thousand certs on the Lightning abilities but as Starstriker says, it's not really needed for the skyguard role. Just keep in mind that it's a fairly large investment (which makes it one of the best things to buy with Station Cash if you have any).
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

For most of us gal pilots we have bulldogs on the wings and walkers on the top and tail, with extended clip size on the left wing bulldog (which is normally considered primary weapon) and top walker is secondary weapon. Precision drop airframe or high G. I use fire suppression for self heal and composite armor for damage mitigation. I think most of the others do to. But they are right about the certs. We have 10,000 plus certs in to the gal alone.

For sundies I run racer chassis or rival with AMS or smoke, and ammo or repair unless I'm doing a transport or battle bus which I use blockade armor. If you want to pull a sundy the least you need is AMS. Oh and on the rare occasion gate diffuser but most of the people that do it have it.

Skyguard lightning is simple rival, auto-repair, and smoke that's what I use.

Most tankers run AP turret, vanguard shield, auto-repair, and racer chassis with enforcer on top

Liberators: flares, auto repair or composite (depending on setup) high G air frame, and most use Dalton but any lib gun will work. Tail gun usually walker.

Comment

I would argue that a Skyguard running with an armor column needs AT MINIMUM level 4 ammo, 1 level of either chassis, 1 level of auto repair, and 1 level of IR smoke or fire suppression. Your job as dedicated AA is to keep your eyes on the sky for the absolute most amount of time possible, and that means a) not running out of ammo, b) not having to constantly stop and repair, and c) not wasting time moving from location to location.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

Yeah my Gal is basically IronMan's, but better. (Just Kidding....) I think any gal will do the trick in dropping Infntry unles the orders are to stay gal mobile, meaning that you MUST keep a gal up at all times and be ready to a VERY quick pickup and drop-off. This needs the Gal to have certs in it because the speed and skill needed to fly a Gal and keep it alive, as well as needing max level Fire Suppression and Composite Armor. Although you can pull any old gal for this, chances are if it goes down, then a new pilot needs to be selected since people usually dont have their timer certed.

Another thing to keep in mind is that ANY SUNDIE will do, just have AMS and youre set when pulling a Sundie. Although upgrades are nice and handy, a reguilar Basilik Sundie will ward off enemies, but if it gets hot, infantry can always handle the situation. Just have Heavies and Engies drop to repair and take out things, then medics leave the Sundie later to revive downed teammates.

And a Skyguard is only mandatory if there is more than 3 aircraft in my opinion. This is because Infantry can hail fire on ESFs and they go right down. Unless you get a Lib, get some lockons and a Skyguard, to killem nice and quick.
            Questions about those who deserve it!
            "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Guys remember that most new players may not and probably don't know the acronyms we use ie: AA, AT, AI, AP, AV, OS (snipers), ESF, AMS. Please make sure you fully explain the terms. AA=Anti-Aircraft, AT=Anti-Tank, AI=Anti-Infantry, AV=Anti-Vehicle, OS=One Shot, ESF=Empire Specific Fighter, AMS=Advanced Mobile Station.

So if you told a new guy to pull a Vanguard with a AT turret and he didn't know what AT stood for then you might be in for some explanation and lose the momentum. Plus if you wanted someone to equip with AMS and he didn't know what that meant then you might not get a AMS Sundy.

Comment

Originally posted by Revalis View Post
                Many times while in a Squad/Platoon, I will hear a call for some specialized vehicle. And it sucks not being able to step up and offer to pull something.
                But still being relatively new, I haven't quite figured out what loadouts convert a base vehicle to a more specialized vehicle, so I thought I might ask here. Or at what ranks of certs, I am qualified to pull something during ops / alerts.

Can someone fill me in on what weapons and certs should be focused on when wanting to pull:

Battle Galaxy - And does this suffice for drops or would you cert a gal differently for infantry drops?
                Repair / Ammo Sunderers - My understanding so far is that Repair needs to be high level. Does this mean at least 5 ranks? What other certs make it viable?
                Skyguard (AA turret on Vanguard?)

Also, if there are other specialized vehicle names that you guys use, could you add them to list? And point out what the best loadouts for them would be?

Thanks!
                Skyguard is the name of the Anti-Air gun on the Lightning tank. [http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Skyguard] As such 'Skyguard' itself has become short-hand for Anti-Air Lightning.

Battle Galaxy is a term for a Galaxy meant to provide fires after the initial airdrop. The Battle Galaxy is a specific High Cert/Station Cost Galaxy that is meant to provide close air support after the initial drop.

Repair Sunderer is a long term investment meant for people who don't mind sitting in a Sunderer and watching a pretty fight. It is true that high level Repair is better (by a large margin) if available but this shouldn't prevent those willing to/wanting to invest into a Repair Sunderer from pulling it. Constant repairs is always beneficial and the way I got most of my certifications for my Repair Sunderer (max level) was through running it at the lower levels. With my Repair Sunderer I've invested in Fire Suppression. AMS or Smoke Screen work as well. Always invest in a Vehicle Chassis too (I like Rival's increased maneuverability for my Repair Sunderer).

When it comes to weapons it all depends on the role. Sunderer guns are fine at the M20 (I like the M12 and M40 as well and the G30-Walker is a great Anti-Air Gun) and you should invest into at least 1.25 Zoom on every gun you have (1 cert each) and 1.5 Zoom on any gun you like.

Comment

Everything has been covered pretty well (some things multiple times) but I would like to add the following. Some of these options are more specialized and costly (most of all a Battle Gal (10k+ certs for a really good one), somewhat less so but still a couple thousand certs would be a high level repair Sundy). However an Ammo Sundy is very effective at level 1, which is cheap. A Skyguard with just the gun can be very effective and can be purchased with SC (i.e., no certs needed to spend on gun). And of course a basic AMS (when someone says "pull a Sundy" AMS is assumed). A transport Gal is also a commonly requested item, but you can do fine with one that is bone stock, although it requires skill and a little knowledge to fly properly, but that only costs you time in VR (no SC or certs). If you are interested in Gal flying, get with me some time, I can offer you some pointers (and maybe I should be doing Gall flying classes weekly... /wheelsturning).

@Strait,

Incidentally, you may be surprised to know that some times we are still in need of good Gal pilots. Even as recently as a few weeks ago, we still have had some pretty bad drops. I have heard Cairbr say TG has some of the best Gal pilots on Mattherson, and I would like to think this is true, but no reason we cannot increase our numbers and have the more experienced guys share what they know with up and coming players, who are always coming into this game. Because all of our "A string" Gal pilots are not always online...

Speaking of SC, I don't know if you want to or are able to purchase any, but if you do you generally want to purchase weapons with it and save your certs for upgrades (which cannot be purchased with SC).

You don't have to cert all the way into a Battle Gal, but if you enjoy the transport role and are (or become good) at flying, a couple levels of Flak Armor will help a little in getting your troops on target before you get shot down. And then if you really like that role, you can keep going later adding guns, etc. and making it into a full on Battle Gal.

I just checked and you are BR 27. Not that it means anything, other than how many certs you have earned in game and therefore a rough indicator of how much equipment you are likely to have. But at lower BRs, I tell people to cert into the "big 3" infantry kits (Heavy Assault, Medic, and Engineer). You want to max your Medic gun, Engi tool, get some missiles and a shield and maybe 'nades and some health kits on your HA, etc. Depending on your style of play (shooter or support), you may lean more toward one (or two) of those roles initially. But they are always needed and useful and will feed you certs to put into later more specialized roles.

After that, my advice becomes "put certs into things you enjoy doing" because it will keep you interested in the game and contributing to your squad and the Outfit in a useful way. And btw thanks for asking this question and starting this discussion, as I think it should be very helpful to newer players.
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If you put together another Gal training seminar, Randy, I'd absolutely make time for it.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

Thanks to all for the insights and explanations. It is greatly appreciated!

Comment

@ Rage

I'd hope they would pull the right thing. It's not called something different in game the AP turret is labeled AP and AP is explained in the weapon description so the only way they can mess it up is if they can't read. Same goes for AMS.

Comment

Well we could still get in situations where the new guys think AP stands for Anti-Personnel instead of Armor Piercing. But either way the one point doesn't change the landscape for the broader concept.

Comment

Indeed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X